Volta news? Is there any?

FakeNSA

So my stopgap card, an hd 6870 died last month. I at this point will probably purchase a gtx 1060 very soon, as I miss playing games, and intel 530 does not cut it for anything<5 years old. But, do we have a date for volta? I don't want to buy a card that will be a waste of money in a month, but do we know when it will launch? Thanks..

Sorry that this rambled, I am fried right now.

Aelar Nailo

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

3 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

So my stopgap card, an hd 6870 died last month. I at this point will probably purchase a gtx 1060 very soon, as I miss playing games, and intel 530 does not cut it for anything<5 years old. But, do we have a date for volta? I don't want to buy a card that will be a waste of money in a month, but do we know when it will launch? Thanks..

Aelar Nailo

Volta was supposed to be Q4 of 2017. Nvidia announced that it will be in 2018 finally. Due to VEGA not being very competitive, they don't feel the urge to put volta for consumers.

So.... buy the 1060 unless you want to wait like 1 year+

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just now, gbergeron said:

Volta was supposed to be Q4 of 2017. Nvidia announced that it will be in 2018 finally. Due to VEGA not being very competitive, they don't feel the urge to put volta for consumers.

So.... buy the 1060 unless you want to wait like 1 year+

Thanks, will do...:(. I guess that's as good as it will get?

Don't get stuck into this phase of not buying.  Don't wait for Volta.

Lets say you do wait for Volta and are about to buy it, and then you see rumors of the architecture after that-lets call it Copperfield.  You'll end up not buying a Volta GPU because you want to wait for Copperfield, and once Copperfield gets here, you wait for the one AFTER Copperfield...and you ultimately end up not buying a GPU because you want to wait 'for the next great thing'.

If I were you, I'd buy a 1050Ti or something of the like and then buy the 1060 of Volta.   You're going to get outdated anyway GPU wise, so you might as well buy a graphics card now.

1 minute ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Thanks, will do...:(. I guess that's as good as it will get?

I'd still wait a bit, 1060/580 prices are still high.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Volta was coming on Q1 2018 but since Vega failed nVidia is further delaying it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

Lets say you do wait for Volta and are about to buy it, and then you see rumors of the architecture after that-lets call it Copperfield.  You'll end up not buying a Volta GPU because you want to wait for Copperfield, and once Copperfield gets here, you wait for the one AFTER Copperfield...and you ultimately end up not buying a GPU because you want to wait 'for the next great thing'.

If I were you, I'd buy a 1050Ti or something of the like and then buy the 1060 of Volta.   You're going to get outdated anyway GPU wise, so you might as well buy a graphics card now.

I would only wait for volta if it was<1month away. I hate that mentality as well.

Just now, Shiv78 said:

I'll look for a deal, thanks.

Just now, linustouchtips said:

volta is not coming any time soon find the card you like now at a solid price and buy it gl. 

Yeah.... Thanks.

Nvidia said 2018.... not Q1 2018.... 2018. I would guess it's at least like 8 months away. DO NOT WAIT FOR IT! Get a 1060 or RX 580 if you can get good price. You could also look into used 980 or 980ti's if the prices for the previous two are too high.

14 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

Nvidia said 2018.... not Q1 2018.... 2018. I would guess it's at least like 8 months away. DO NOT WAIT FOR IT! Get a 1060 or RX 580 if you can get good price. You could also look into used 980 or 980ti's if the prices for the previous two are too high.

they said Q4 2017 at first, then Q1 2018, then , not soon lollll

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

Just now, gbergeron said:

they said Q4 2017 at first, then Q1 2018, then , not soon lollll

Yeah, if it's not Q1 2018 that's at the earliest April of 2018 which is about 8 months away. I assume it's because that's when Nvidia is betting on Navi launching. Nvidia doesn't need to launch Volta because the 1080 and 1070 are still perfectly fine choices against their AMD counterparts, so why bother?

5 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

Yeah, if it's not Q1 2018 that's at the earliest April of 2018 which is about 8 months away. I assume it's because that's when Nvidia is betting on Navi launching. Nvidia doesn't need to launch Volta because the 1080 and 1070 are still perfectly fine choices against their AMD counterparts, so why bother?

Yes last part is sad... Who cares if AMD can't compete, GIVE US VOLTA NOW !! :) 

40 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Definitely still high, but you can get the EVGA single fan 1060 6gb for $255

(goddamnit it went up to $320 in one day FML)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSGEC/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

This would have made perfect sense if 10xx wasn't so old already.

1 hour ago, pzspah said:

Nvidia has delayed Volta to beyond Q1 2018... We're stuck with these cards for at least 8 months. I wouldn't wait 8 months for a GPU. 

NO compelling competition from AMD,  NO need.  Just like intel pre  Ryzen. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

4 hours ago, pzspah said:

Old is a relative term-old compared to what?  Pascal is NVIDIA's newest architecture.  Compared to Vega, yeah, its old, but it still offers better performance than Vega.  

On 8/15/2017 at 9:07 PM, lilbman said:

Old is a relative term-old compared to what?  Pascal is NVIDIA's newest architecture.  Compared to Vega, yeah, its old, but it still offers better performance than Vega.  

Isn't Pascal just a Maxwell die shrink/refresh?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

7 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Isn't Pascal just a Maxwell die shrink/refresh?

I know the die is smaller, but I'm not sure that it's a refresh.  If it was just a refresh, it wouldn't be as large as a difference in performance as it is. Don't quote me on any of this, though.

On 15/08/2017 at 11:35 AM, Aelar_Nailo said:

Aelar Nailo

If I had to guess.... 8 months? Definitely not before the end of the year.

1 hour ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

If I had to guess.... 8 months? Definitely not before the end of the year.

Thanks! Also, crudbaskets. Well, that's being an enthusiast I suppose!

On 8/15/2017 at 9:00 PM, Deedot78 said:

NO compelling competition from AMD,  NO need.  Just like intel pre  Ryzen. 

I doubt Nvidia thinks of it this way but this is actually a godsend to AMD right now.  If the 2080 dropped next month and obliterated everything on the market VEGA would shrivel up and die and NAVI would never in a million years be competitive.  This pause is letting amd catch up in terms of release cycles.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

16 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I doubt Nvidia thinks of it this way but this is actually a godsend to AMD right now.  If the 2080 dropped next month and obliterated everything on the market VEGA would shrivel up and die and NAVI would never in a million years be competitive.  This pause is letting amd catch up in terms of release cycles.

AMD is very important on two fronts, that i think most people dont realize.  They are the only thing preventing monopolies in consumer cpus and gpus. They fold up,  we are all screwed. So intel and nvidia do have an interest in the survivial of AMD, so i will always root for their survival, but this vega launch is a debacle.  Year too late, still using over hyped/expensive memory, and under performing year old competition. 

AMD 1700X// Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 // Geil DDR4 3200 // Gigabyte Aorus 1080//  Samsung 128GB 840 Pro SSD(OS)// Seagate Barracuda 1TB(games&docs)//

Cool Master Stacker 935//  LG Ultrawide 34UM95//  XSPC 360 Liquid Cooling//

Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard//  Corsair M65RGB//  Xonar DX//  Audio Technica ATH A900X// Blue Snowball Mic(Tandy POP filter)  

5 minutes ago, Deedot78 said:

Year to late, still using over hyped/expensive memory, and under performing year old competition. 

And they had balls to use Poor Volta

1 minute ago, StormEye said:

And they had balls to use Poor Volta

7 minutes ago, Deedot78 said:

-snip-

What you guys are forgetting is the most overlooked aspect of high end PCS - their ability to serve as space heaters!  NASA in the space station, our Russian comrades will buy them in droves and don't forget those poor sods in Alaska and the territories :P

After all, if you can get the heat output of a 1080 ti for 1080 prices why not?!?!??!?! 

/s

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious