Intel cannonlake and icelake

I swear intel must be working with Activision and the Call of Duty teams.  Lets just rehash the same things year after year.  Of course I'm not complaining because I like intel, but this just seems ridiculous at this point. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

9 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why does Intel likes lakes so much? Every thing is a lake nowadays.

Those bridges had to go somewhere...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, StealthArsenal said:

I swear Intel must be working with Activision and Infinity Ward. 

FTFY.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Skylake => Icelake will be the jump to go for. Kaby was disappointing, and while Coffee is both a nice core increase and a delightful beverage, it's not worth making a jump.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

After Tigerlake is actually Sapphire Rapids for 2020.

The really interesting question is when Icelake lands. Holiday 2018 seems most likely at this point.

Q4 '18 is what Intel is aiming for, looks like they are gonna make that target too. 

47 minutes ago, tsk said:

Q4 '18 is what Intel is aiming for, looks like they are gonna make that target too. 

We'll see. 10nm has been a mess for Intel, and EUV isn't going to hit full-scale production until late 2018 it seems. We'll see if Icelake or Tigerlake gets the first PCIe 4.0 on it. Though that might only show up in the server space, but there's already some compatible NVMe drives slated for Q4`2018. 

But, Icelake is a uArch upgrade & a node shrink because Cannonlake, on 10nm, isn't an improvement over Kaby Lake. We might be entering a rough patch for Intel.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

But, Icelake is a uArch upgrade & a node shrink because Cannonlake, on 10nm, isn't an improvement over Kaby Lake. We might be entering a rough patch for Intel.

If Ice Lake doesn't hit until late 2018 it should be going head to head with Zen 2. That will be... interesting.

what is on mobile and what is on desktop and what am i looking forward to?! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

12 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its a lake of sweat as they try to compete with AMD :D

Not sure what you mean, they're still winning in terms of raw performance, pricing is literally the only thing they aren't "competing" in

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

8 minutes ago, Lays said:

Not sure what you mean, they're still winning in terms of raw performance,

Shhh, you're going to ruin people's hopes and dreams. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Shhh, you're going to ruin people's hopes and dreams. 

For some reason people lately think price to performance means winning in raw horsepower too lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

For some reason people lately think price to performance means winning in raw horsepower too lol

Everyone also took up video editing lately, as well. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Lays said:

Not sure what you mean, they're still winning in terms of raw performance, pricing is literally the only thing they aren't "competing" in

Since when has intel made the massive change to release a 6c mainstream CPU as well as a friggin i9? The i9 was a meme and intel made it reality after AMD actually made a CPU

2 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

If Ice Lake doesn't hit until late 2018 it should be going head to head with Zen 2. That will be... interesting.

Zen+ in H1`2018 should make the mainstream interesting still, as Coffee Lake isn't actually an upgrade over Kaby Lake or Skylake except at the very top of the SKUs. Unless a person is looking to upgrade to the 8700k, these CPUs really aren't that much of an upgrade over even the venerable 2600k. (Though since Coffee lake *may* handle Icelake CPUs, there might actually be an upgrade path!)

But even Zen+ could offer a lot with an improved IMC for Ryzen. Not necessarily just for faster RAM, but Intel's memory system is still a chunk faster than AMD's.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Since when has intel made the massive change to release a 6c mainstream CPU as well as a friggin i9? The i9 was a meme and intel made it reality after AMD actually made a CPU

Coffee Lake's 6c and the 12c through 18c Skylake-X are both direct responses to Zen. Coffee Lake having 6c has been there since it was announced in 2016, but it was announced because Cannonlake wasn't going to work in mainstream. We should have gotten a Cannonlake 8700k in Q1`18, but they sacked those because they just didn't perform at Kaby Lake levels. Which is also when they pushed through a 6c design. (Something I'm sure Intel hated to do.)

Threadripper & Skylake-X are a blind-side that'll probably never happen against in CPU tech. AMD hid the entire platform from Intel, which is impressive when you realize that the QA versions of the CPUs exist normally about 2 years before launch. Hiding X399 was impressive. Or at least hiding it until Intel couldn't design a response. That's why Intel is sacking Xeons that they'd sell for 2-3x the price to put on X299. 

Someone in Intel's Server department is going to be salty for years for the amount of work they had to rush to bin those chips.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Zen+ in H1`2018 should make the mainstream interesting still, as Coffee Lake isn't actually an upgrade over Kaby Lake or Skylake except at the very top of the SKUs. Unless a person is looking to upgrade to the 8700k, these CPUs really aren't that much of an upgrade over even the venerable 2600k. (Though since Coffee lake *may* handle Icelake CPUs, there might actually be an upgrade path!)

But even Zen+ could offer a lot with an improved IMC for Ryzen. Not necessarily just for faster RAM, but Intel's memory system is still a chunk faster than AMD's.

Coffee Lake's 6c and the 12c through 18c Skylake-X are both direct responses to Zen. Coffee Lake having 6c has been there since it was announced in 2016, but it was announced because Cannonlake wasn't going to work in mainstream. We should have gotten a Cannonlake 8700k in Q1`18, but they sacked those because they just didn't perform at Kaby Lake levels. Which is also when they pushed through a 6c design. (Something I'm sure Intel hated to do.)

Threadripper & Skylake-X are a blind-side that'll probably never happen against in CPU tech. AMD hid the entire platform from Intel, which is impressive when you realize that the QA versions of the CPUs exist normally about 2 years before launch. Hiding X399 was impressive. Or at least hiding it until Intel couldn't design a response. That's why Intel is sacking Xeons that they'd sell for 2-3x the price to put on X299. 

Someone in Intel's Server department is going to be salty for years for the amount of work they had to rush to bin those chips.

Are you saying that performance increase between 7700k and 8700k will be marginal at best?

All this talk about water is making me want to pee!!

14 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why does Intel likes lakes so much? Every thing is a lake nowadays.

14 hours ago, Ekst4zy said:

Lots of lakes... Damn. Who can borrow me a boat? xD

Why does Intel think the "lake" name is great?.... well because they are superior ;)

LOL looks like intels marketing is way ahead of the r&d. At least they have names for the next ten years to come :P 

also, does this sounds like intel will only be shrinking their current architecture in the future. Is that true? It's hard to imagine

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 hours ago, Haaselh0ff said:

Are you saying that performance increase between 7700k and 8700k will be marginal at best?

Gaming? Yeah. 1c boost goes to 4.7 Ghz from 4.5 Ghz with Kaby Lake. Unless there's a "speed shift v3" that hasn't been announced, there's really only some potential OC room improvement. 

It'll be a better CPU & likely last for years, but it's a very minor actual upgrade unless you've matched it with a 1080 class GPU. The really benefit for the 8700k over the 7700k is a chunk of games that already max the 7700k out. It'll give Intel the "Ryzen smoothness" effect. But this is going to be an expensive CPU for Intel, so I'm expecting them to price it pretty high. (Along with no 4c/8t i3.) 

Numerically, it should be better than stock Kaby Lake/Skylake, but equal or lower than a similarly OC'd 6700k or 7700k. Minus some issues with Chipset. (I.e. early results could be worse until BIOS get updated, like some issues with X299 or Ryzen.) But if you have a 1080, 1080 Ti, Titan X or Vega 64, there'll be some value in a 8700k over other considerations in 1080p high FPS gaming. BF1 and a lot of the Ubisoft games should respond better.

4 hours ago, Lays said:

Well, AMD is winning in terms of raw horsepower on the mainstream platform though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, AMD is winning in terms of raw horsepower on the mainstream platform though.

Only on the higher end (6 and 8 core CPUs), r3 and quad r5s match Intel's counterparts (and lack igpu which only makes them look worse).

Just now, MyName13 said:

Only on the higher end (6 and 8 core CPUs), r3 and quad r5s match Intel's counterparts (and lack igpu which only makes them look worse).

Not really, compare i3 and R3 cinebench scores. Same for 4C/8T R5s vs lower-end i5s such as the i5-7400.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Not really, compare i3 and R3 cinebench scores. Same for 4C/8T R5s vs lower-end i5s such as the i5-7400.

Yeah, cinebench really shows real world performance.Compare them in gaming for example, i3 actually beats r3 and r5s sometimes barely match i5.They are better in some other things like encoding, rendering and compression, according to cinebench ryzen is on par with Kaby lake which is far from the truth (it's the cinebench that made people believe zen's IPC matches haswell, it doesn't, at least not in all workloads).