Right I'm posting yet another question on the Ryzen 1700. (Hopefully the last)

So I've come to the conclusion that I want to refund my Ryzen 1700. No matter what I do i can't get 3.8ghz stable with Prime 95 or ASUS RealBench.

If the voltage is below 1.375 the PC crashes during stress tests, and if it's 1.375 or above the CPU overheats.  So anything between 1.3 - 1.4 is unstable at 3.8ghz. I've played around with LLC and all sorts but nothing works.

The best I can get is 3.7ghz and thats's a struggle because i have to set the LLC to level 5 else it crashes. Even with a better cooler I really doubt i can do much better.

It looks like i'm one of the very unlucky few according to these stats from the 'silicon lottery'.

Ryzen 7 1700
93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V
70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V

If you want to see the ram voltage, motherboard, cooler and other important info, check out my other question here, as i go into great detail about my setup and configuration.

So the question is, should i try and return my 1700? Maybe i can try another Ryzen 1700 and maybe get a better overlock, or get my money back. And is this even a good excuse to return it? I bought it off Amazon if you're wondering.

It may seem like i'm just whining which is a reasonable assessment, but i refuse to be fucked over, i don't even mind if I don't win the silicon lottery, i just don't want to lose it. Especially when I see everyone else around me getting 3.8ghz easily with the stock cooler.

(And yes i do understand some people lie, but i've seen the majorty of people achieve 3.8ghz while doing the same stress tests as me)

Your thoughts are greatly appreicated.

I'd try returning it and get another, hopefully win the silicon lottery this time. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, CaptainKieseI said:

Stock cooler?

Yes, although I doubt a better one would make much difference.

for me it did..  i cant reach 3.75GHz without overheating on the stock cooler

now i am running 4GHz rock solid

Edit: If you can refund it you should try your luck again tho

@GR412 I suspect the stock cooler is holding you back.

Regarding your question. Can you? Yes.

Morally however its a dick move to return your product based on its (lack of) overclocking headroom. Your retailer has to foot the bill and now sell it as used for much less.

Just now, CaptainKieseI said:

for me it did..  i cant reach 3.75GHz without overheating on the stock cooler

now i am running 4GHz rock solid

I know this is what i mean, everyone else is getting simular results to you.

4 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Right I'm posting yet another question on the Ryzen 1700. (Hopefully the last)

So I've come to the conclusion that I want to refund my Ryzen 1700. No matter what I do i can't get 3.8ghz stable with Prime 95 or ASUS RealBench.

If the voltage is below 1.375 the PC crashes during stress tests, and if it's 1.375 or above the CPU overheats.  So anything between 1.3 - 1.4 is unstable at 3.8ghz. I've played around with LLC and all sorts but nothing works.

The best I can get is 3.7ghz and thats's a struggle because i have to set the LLC to level 5 else it crashes. Even with a better cooler I really doubt i can do much better.

It looks like i'm one of the very unlucky few according to these stats from the 'silicon lottery'.

Ryzen 7 1700
93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V
70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V

If you want to see the ram voltage, motherboard, cooler and other important info, check out my other question here, as i go into great detail about my setup and configuration.

So the question is, should i try and return my 1700? Maybe i can try another Ryzen 1700 and maybe get a better overlock, or get my money back. And is this even a good excuse to return it? I bought it off Amazon if you're wondering.

It may seem like i'm just whining which is a reasonable assessment, but i refuse to be fucked over. Especially when I see everyone else around me getting 3.8ghz easily with the stock cooler.

(And yes i do understand some people lie, but i've seen the majorty of people achieve 3.8ghz while doing the same stress tests as me)

Your thoughts are greatly appreicated.

If you really care about it then I would say to return it, However depending on where you bought it you may need a valid reason on why you are returning it. Saying that "I can't overclock it as high as I want" may not be enough for certain some stores

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Just now, ShadowArk said:

If you really care about it then I would say to return it, However depending on where you bought it you may need a valid reason on why you are returning it. Saying that "I can't overclock it as high as I want" may not be enough for certain some stores

Yeah that was my worry, I was thinking of saying 'it's not performing as well as I expected' but i'll have to see.

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

Yeah that was my worry, I was thinking of saying 'it's not performing as well as I expected' but i'll have to see.

when did you get it?

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

@GR412 I suspect the stock cooler is holding you back.

Regarding your question. Can you? Yes.

Morally however its a dick move to return your product based on its (lack of) overclocking headroom. Your retailer has to foot the bill and now sell it as used for much less.

Yeah it seems a bit cheeky, but i'm a bit of a pefectionst. And if i can get a better one and get a better overclock it would be great. Also i did wonder if getting a Noctua air cooler may help, but then again i see plenty of people getting really good overlocks with the stock cooler, so I don't know if it's worth a try.

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

but i'm a bit of a pefectionst

The 1800X and TR 1900X exist for this reason. Buying the lower SKU is a diceroll on your max overclock. To guarantee the higher clocks you pay for the binned chips.

3 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Yeah it seems a bit cheeky, but i'm a bit of a pefectionst. And if i can get a better one and get a better overclock it would be great. Also i did wonder if getting a Noctua air cooler may help, but then again i see plenty of people getting really good overlocks with the stock cooler, so I don't know if it's worth a try.

What country are you located in and where did you buy it from?  You may not even have an option to return.  

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

3.7 is fairly respectable albeit a bit low on an R7 1700. I'd keep.

It's alright but It's barely stable. I couldn't even get 3.7ghz for a while.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What country are you located in and where did you buy it from?  You may not even have an option to return.  

I bought it from Amazon and I'm from the UK.

The binning is in full force now. You probably aren't going to hit 4 or 4.1 on 1700 anymore no matter what the sheeple vomit. It'll probably just eat up time and you'll get a similar sample.

If you got advice that they all clock the same and get the one with a cooler, you got BF'd dry.

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

The 1800X and TR 1900X exist for this reason. Buying the lower SKU is a diceroll on your max overclock. To guarantee the higher clocks you pay for the binned chips.

Yeah i saw that, but then i saw the vast majority of people getting 3.8 and above with the 1700 easily.

2 minutes ago, dexT said:

The binning is in full force now. You probably aren't going to hit 4 or 4.1 on 1700 anymore no matter what the sheeple vomit. It'll probably just eat up time and you'll get a similar sample.

If you got advice that they all clock the same and get the one with a cooler, you got BF'd dry.

Honestly I'm not worried about not hitting 4.0ghz but i'd like at least 3.8 - 3.9 like the vast majority of people.

Just now, GR412 said:

Honestly I'm not worried about not hitting 4.0ghz but i'd like at least 3.8 - 3.9 like the vast majority of everyone else.

Quick question what grade psu are you using and what wattage 

Just now, Haeking said:

Quick question what grade psu are you using and what wattage 

Corsair RM850 (850 watt, Gold rated)

Just now, GR412 said:

Corsair RM850 (850 watt)

What I think also might be a factor for ryzen overclocking is a good psu, mine is a platinum rated evga 850 watt and all I needed was 1.375 to get a good overclock of 4.00ghz on the stock cooler. But I would say return that and get a new cpu, so you can get those good over clocks

Just now, Haeking said:

What I think also might be a factor for ryzen overclocking is a good psu, mine is a platinum rated evga 850 watt and all I needed was 1.375 to get a good overclock of 4.00ghz on the stock cooler. But I would say return that and get a new cpu, so you can get those good over clocks

Yeah  i reckon my PSU is rather good, it's gold rated. And do you mean try another 1700? Or go for like the 1700x /1800x?