Floatplane Club Performance

Tom Bombadil

Hey guys!

So not sure if in correct category, but regardless, I have a quick question about the performance of FPC. Small STORY TIME, I live in the good ol' Australia, the land in which dial up speeds are being marketed as fibre connection. I pay for an ADSL2+ 4/1ish mbps, but usually get about half that.

Regardless, I would like to ask anyone who has FPC if the performance is good enough even an Australian can use it, I am not wanting to have ulta 4k 60fps and all of course (most youtube videos auto to 480p or very occasionally 720p), but usable enough it doesnt look like crap. (But I'll probs still get anyway :\ ) Anyway, thanks for the help, I do understand its all still a work in progress and that is completely fine, just wanted to ask before I go as it might depend on if I get full year or just month to test :P

Thanks,

The Tom Bombadil.

Also look at this beauty... (Not my usual, but also not fake :D )

5992e008b59bc_MyInternets.png.7b3178333af66154d1d628b18a1f7e31.png

2 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

Hey guys!

So not sure if in correct category, but regardless, I have a quick question about the performance of FPC. Small STORY TIME, I live in the good ol' Australia, the land in which dial up speeds are being marketed as fibre connection. I pay for an ADSL2+ 4/1ish mbps, but usually get about half that.

Regardless, I would like to ask anyone who has FPC if the performance is good enough even an Australian can use it, I am not wanting to have ulta 4k 60fps and all of course (most youtube videos auto to 480p or very occasionally 720p), but usable enough it doesnt look like crap. (But I'll probs still get anyway :\ ) Anyway, thanks for the help, I do understand its all still a work in progress and that is completely fine, just wanted to ask before I go as it might depend on if I get full year or just month to test :P

Thanks,

The Tom Bombadil.

Also look at this beauty... (Not my usual, but also not fake :D )

5992e008b59bc_MyInternets.png.7b3178333af66154d1d628b18a1f7e31.png

I don't have FPC so I cannot confirm, but you'd likely be alright for the lowest quality streaming setting.

However, you can actually straight up just download the video file and play it locally, assuming that you didn't need to watch it "in real time", and could wait for a download to complete.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

14 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

- snip -

Hey! FPC Infra guy here,

We currently have a streaming node in Sydney, AU, which should, in theory, help you have a good experience with FPC. With ~2Mbps, you should be able to stream at 720p or, at least 480p. I usually watch the videos on my phone at 480p and find that it's pretty nice for the bitrate. Like @dalekphalm said, you can always download the 1080p version and watch it after it's done.

I wish we had a way to give users a small 3 days demo so they can check if they appreciate the service and see if they're willing to commit to the 3$ USD per month that the service cost.

If you have any question, don't forget to quote or tag me.

16 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

Regardless, I would like to ask anyone who has FPC if the performance is good enough even an Australian can use it,

You can ask @colonel_mortis

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Hey all!

Thanks all for the responses, 

However, you can actually straight up just download the video file and play it locally, assuming that you didn't need to watch it "in real time", and could wait for a download to complete.

I think i'll definitely try the downloading route, quick question, what do you think would be the average file size for 720p or 1080p? Thinking about putting them on my good ol' plexio serverio

Anyway, thanks all for the replies!

12 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

what do you think would be the average file size for 720p or 1080p? 

Really depends on the video type and the video length. We're using dynamic bitrate when encoding the videos so if the transcoder feels like the video needs more bitrate (e.g. CSF where there's a lot of movement) it will produce a bigger file compared to a video like TQ where the background doesn't change that much and is pretty static in comparison.

Examples (1080p) : 

TQ: How Does Netflix Work?

Length -> 00:06:05

Video rate -> 1735kbps

Total bitrate -> 2053kbps
Frame rate -> 29.97 frames/second
Total size -> 89.7 MB

CSF: CSI Cutlery Investigation

Length -> 00:07:59

Video rate -> 3025kbps

Total bitrate -> 3343kbps
Frame rate -> 23 frames/second

Total Size -> 191 MB

So you would be able to watch TQ @ 1080p since it's only 2Mbps, compared to the ~3.3Mbps needed to stream the CSF @ 1080p