Talk about getting 'locked out' of your own house!

razaldo

Apparently LockState sent the wrong firmware update to nearly 500 of its smart locks and bricked them.

The failure occurred last Monday when LockState mistakenly sent some 6i lock models a firmware update developed for 7i locks. The update left earlier 6i models unable to be locked and no longer able to receive over-the-air updates. LockState Marketing Manager John Cargile told Ars that the failure hit about 500 locks. The company is offering affected customers one of two options: (1) return the back portion of the lock to LockState so the firmware can be updated, with a turnaround time of about five to seven days, or (2) request a replacement interior lock, with a turnaround time of about 14 to 18 days. In the meantime, customers can use a physical key to unlock doors. (Like most hotel rooms, the doors automatically lock each time they're closed.)

Replacements are going to take 14 to 18 days which would raise a whole different set of logistical problems.

This is the reason why Internet of Things is not one of the best ideas. There are too many failure points in an IOT device, to list a few:

1. The end user stupidity

2. Firmware provider stupidity

3. Hacker intelligence

wow lol! This is the one reason why I don't like electronic smart locks for homes. Too easy to break and too easy to tinker with and get in despite what manufacturers say.

OTA capable locks are never a good idea and should not be used imo

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I smell a massive lawsuit incoming.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I still prefer mechanical locks and metal keys. My car though is keyless. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

47 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I still prefer mechanical locks and metal keys. My car though is keyless. 

This is still a mechanical lock (technically at least). And the manufacturer is also recommending that "In the meantime, customers can use a physical key to unlock doors."

This should be an issue though for anyone relying on these locks remotely (what I mean is that they open / close them from a location far away, for what ever reasons).

50 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

I smell a massive lawsuit incoming.

Yeah, imagine someone that had their children / pets locked in. This looks like an incoming PR disaster for the company.

smart locks, bad idea. In Auckland's victoria park there were what you could call smart locks. solenoids on a timer, I dont know if they could be remote controlled but they were one of many smart public toilets. They would auto lock after dark and did all sorts of smart things. What was not smart about them was a fully grown man could rip the door open. Within 12 months the locks were so abused they just did not work and had to be replaced with old fashioned locks.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

smart locks, bad idea. In Auckland's victoria park there were what you could call smart locks. solenoids on a timer, I dont know if they could be remote controlled but they were one of many smart public toilets. They would auto lock after dark and did all sorts of smart things. What was not smart about them was a fully grown man could rip the door open. Within 12 months the locks were so abused they just did not work and had to be replaced with old fashioned locks.

Just imagine the rage - late night, had Indian food for dinner, the pressure in your bladder is greater than the force of the Niagra falls. How will you not rip apart the toilet door and sh&% all over the smart lock.

59 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Good ol hardware keys ftw lol

Raid keys?

Raid 5 for the low low price of $299.99!!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

8 minutes ago, razaldo said:

Just imagine the rage - late night, had Indian food for dinner, the pressure in your bladder is greater than the force of the Niagra falls. How will you not rip apart the toilet door and sh&% all over the smart lock.

you dont want to see the paeroa toilets on a sunday night. no other toilets for at least a 30 min drive. The toilet was blocked and was full of water so i pissed in the drain. What I did not know about these "smart" toilets was they flush themselves when you exit. When a blocked toilet full of water flushes it creates quite a horrifying flood. I ran as fast as I could and I could hear crying from the toilet next door

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Theres a reason why almost 100% of MoBo manufacturers use some kind of redundant firmware backup, be it an auto flashing backup at the point of failure or a dual firmware solution. Heck the recent trend has been to offer an inbuilt external flashing method that works even if the board is bricked (BIOS Flashback)

This is that reason (well partly to cover from bad firmware updates but also because of customer stupidity)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

And here I am with my 3-point mortise lock on my double door. Couldn't even use a smart lock if I wanted to :P

As a side note, I do have IoT devices in my home, just nothing crucial yet: video doorbell, sprinkler controller, thermostat, and my solar panel micro-inverters. Manufacturers should be more careful with firmware updates, although this seems like a accident, it just goes to show that more fail safes need to be put into place.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

It's almost as if giving an internet connection to things that don't f**king need an internet connection, is a f**king bad idea.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

14 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

It's almost as if giving an internet connection to things that don't f**king need an internet connection, is a f**king bad idea.

Well if fate of the furious is to be believed its possible for hackers to take remote control over anything and everything.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

16 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Well if fate of the furious is to be believed its possible for hackers to take remote control over anything and everything.

Someone should manufacture an IOT bidet... 

45 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

And here I am with my 3-point mortise lock on my double door. Couldn't even use a smart lock if I wanted to :P

As a side note, I do have IoT devices in my home, just nothing crucial yet: video doorbell, sprinkler controller, thermostat, and my solar panel micro-inverters. Manufacturers should be more careful with firmware updates, although this seems like a accident, it just goes to show that more fail safes need to be put into place.

No crucial? Well its more like a mission critical system... Your solar panel and other  stuff is just expensive when a hacker bricks it...

This IoT and smart devices insanity is getting worse by the day... They are expensive and dont have any real benefits over the good old dumb ones.

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

No crucial? Well its more like a mission critical system... Your solar panel and other  stuff is just expensive when a hacker bricks it...

Well, what is a hacker going to do? The device that's connected to the internet is only used for reporting production data. The best they can do is find out how much energy I'm producing. The worst they can do is brick the front end device, in which case, I can always watch the meter from my power company count backwards :P

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

25 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I am very glad that I decided not to see that movie.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just now, ionbasa said:

Well, what is a hacker going to do? The device that's connected to the internet is only used for reporting production data. The best they can do is find out how much energy I'm producing. The worst they can do is brick the front end device, in which case, I can always watch the meter from my power company count backwards :P

Anything can be hacked, and when something becoming popular it will get hacked. Its just the way things are on the internet. If they get into the front end then they can search for weaknesses in the main units FW. And this is the part where it gets expensive if they find something that can be abused. Everyone jumps on the pros of this junk but ignores the cons...

So there is no manual over ride for those deadlocks and everyone with those, have to stand outside, until their locks are fixed?

Manual over ride = using a standard key.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So there is manual over ride for those deadlocks and everyone with those, have to stand outside, until their locks are fixed?

Manual over ride = using a standard key.

People using them for remote solutions are locked out / in

Imagine using this on an air bnb property 

6 minutes ago, razaldo said:

People using them for remote solutions are locked out / in

Imagine using this on an air bnb property 

They can crawl in and out the Windows but, it will make them look like burglars.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

The longer i work in the technology industry the less i trust things like this. Electronic consumer locks, internet connected thermostats, always listening smart home speakers, RFID car keys. As much as i love the idea of a smart home, i dont think its happening for a very very very long time.

My first crypto security class in college they gave us an example about how david beckam got his car stolen by a pretty basic replay attack, because the MFG didnt think anything through. He got a new one, and the same thing happened shortly after. Because as it is now there is no great way to provide the user the complete hands free experience that everyone seems to want while still having a modicum of security. Sure you cant jimmy the lock with a screwdriver anymore, but that doesnt mean its really secure. Jeep showed us that a few years ago with their massive security hole that allowed you to take control of the whole system.

Sad thing is that soon you wont really have the choice about it. High quality tvs dont come without smart features now days, and it seems basically impossible to find a car from the factory that doesnt contain some sort of connectable infotainment system. Or those ODB cell enabled readers that insurance companies give out for discounts on people's bills that also are completely open to hacking. Until something massively horrible happens nothing will change.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)