FFMPEG no such file or directory error

Go to solution Solved by madknight3,

You probably just need quotes around the filename.

Also, the path to cmd.exe shouldn't be there. It should just be the path to the video file

so im trying to extract a image from a video at a specific time using FFMPEG and i have got this no such file or directory error. this is the first time im using ffmpeg and i have already check other sites where people had the same problem but none of the solutions worked. i have tried running the command by opening cmd from the directory itself and giving the videos name. i have also tried different  video formats such as avi and mp4. i have also tried moving the video files to different directories, other disk drives and i have also tried running it by coping the video file to the ffmpeg directory and running cmd from there.it still didnt work. i have also tried running a different command which converts video files to mp3, in that also i get same error. i have attached a couple of screenshots and im out of ideas. i would be greatly appreciate if someone could point out any mistake i have done. thanks.

2.PNG

1.PNG

25 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

so im trying to extract a image from a video at a specific time

Uhh couldn't you just screen cap it? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Uhh couldn't you just screen cap it? 

im trying to use ffmpeg in my C# codes,before that i tried it in cmd

Also, the path to cmd.exe shouldn't be there. It should just be the path to the video file

1 minute ago, madknight3 said:

Thank you very much it worked with just the file name and double quotes around it

3 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Thank you very much it worked with just the file name and double quotes around it

No problem.

Not sure if you'll need the videos full path when you run it from your application, just keep it in mind if it doesn't work.

6 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

if im trying to access the video file by opening cmd from outside the directory how should i give the file path.should i give only file name or should i give entire path?

1 minute ago, Shammikit said:

if im trying to access the video file by opening cmd from outside the directory how should i give the file path.should i give only file name or should i give entire path?

Should be like this

ffmpeg -ss 00:00:15 -i "C:\Videos\A guide to Harvard Referencing.mpf" // etc

Just use the specific path to the video on your computer. I just put one there as an example.

2 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

Should be like this

ffmpeg -ss 00:00:15 -i "C:\Videos\A guide to Harvard Referencing.mpf" // etc

got this when i tried that way

3.PNG

2 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

cmd.exe is an executable, not a folder

thanks again for pointing it out.

As I explained in one of your other threads on much the same subject, there's a much simpler way to do all of this...

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.