Best raid configuration on a budget

TBBZ8X8

All right so I finally have some $ built up and it's time to add some redundancy to my media server. I have about 1.25tb of media and want to run a raid 5. I was thinking of running 3 Seagate barracuda 4tb drives. I know their not insanely reliable but that's what redundancy is for and they seem to be the best bang for the buck on Amazon rn. Thoughts? Anyone have any better ideas? I have a pretty good raid card already because it came with the server. Thanks for any help!

Seems good.

Also, I haven't heard anything about barracudas being unreliable.

2 HDDs for storage, and one for parity seems like the best option.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

RAID 5!

Also, be sure to make a full backup on another drive one day.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

Inside are 8TB Reds. Unbelievably a killer deal.

If you're on a tight budget, go RAID 1 for now and then expand later. Remember, RAID is not a backup and I would recommend having a cold and online backup for your precious data.

You may want to consider going with drives branded for NAS use. With environments like servers and NAS, where multiple hard drives are being stored and used close together in enclosures, there can be a lot of vibration generated which could potentially effect both the longevity and performance of the drives, and this is one of the main considerations taken into account from an engineering standpoint in drives rated for NAS, or usually red-labeled drives, such as Seagate IronWolf & IronWolf Pro.

The firmware on these drives is designed to detect and mitigate issues with these vibrations, in addition to being more robust than standard desktop drives. The BarraCuda, like most standard desktop drives, is rated for 8 hours a day x 5 days a week use, and pushing up to 55TB of data per year, whereas the IronWolf series is rated for 24x7 use, multiuser technology, and up to 180 TB of data per year, with the IronWolf Pro being rated for up to 300TB per year. The standard BarraCuda has a 2 year warranty, the IronWolf a 3 year, and the IronWolf Pro a 5 year with 2 free years of Rescue Services as well.

Thank you for considering Seagate, regardless of which drives you decide to go with in the end!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming