Hardkernel working on tiny NAS called ODROID-HC1

snortingfrogs

Looks like a cute little NAS =)

- SoC – Samsung Exynos 5422 quad core ARM Cortex-A15 @ 2.0GHz quad core ARM Cortex-A7 @ 1.4GHz with Mali-T628 MP6 GPU supporting OpenGL ES 3.0 / 2.0 / 1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR3 RAM PoP
- Storage – Micro SD slot up to 64GB + SATA interface via JMicron JMS578 USB 3.0 to SATA bridge chipset
- Network Connectivity – 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet (via USB 3.0)
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 port
- Debugging – Serial console header
- Power Supply
    5V via power barrel
    12V unpopulated header for future 3.5″ designs [Update: ODROID-HC2 is in the works, to be released in November 2017]
    “Backup” header for battery for RTC

Source: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27919

HC1_1.jpg

HC1_3.jpg

HC1_4.jpg

HC1_5.jpg

HC1_6.jpg

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

What would be a use-case of this?

I mean most routers allow a USB hdd so as a stand-alone NAS it seems a bit overpowered.

And the Pi is a thing so for lightweight home network stuff it's probably a better option.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

And the Pi is a thing so for lightweight home network stuff it's probably a better option.

by far especially with PI having lower power usage and better community. 

Neat design but pretty useless for those who are a willing to make a pocket NAS for cheaper 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

looks cool, PI nas is cheaper. 

Limited to 100Mbps nic. :/ 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

don't think anyone looking for a cheap NAS around this pricepoint cares about gigabit speed. 

29 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

BUT, it doesn't have sata

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you can get a sata to USB

062421.thumb.jpg.b216593b211095053ed9cac71e90217e.jpg 

doesn't work as well as a real native port. plus, 100Mbit ethernet. It's not that the pi is bad, but this one is more expensive for a reason

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

one is more expensive for a reason

can't have everything, you can make a small pi NAS for a price of one of these. 

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

doesn't work as well as a real native port. plus, 100Mbit ethernet. It's not that the pi is bad, but this one is more expensive for a reason

This one isn't native either. The spec says it uses a USB to SATA bridge, it's just integrated into the board. 

Pretty neat. 

Once early 2018 rolls around and brings the IEEE 802.3bt standard with it, it'll be easy to power something like this via PoE.

Spoiler

PoE (IEEE 802.3af-2003) provides up to 15.4W of DC power (~44V ~350mA)

PoE+ (IEEE 802.3at-2009) provides up to 25.5W (44v-57v , 448mA-580mA)

PoE (IEEE 802.3bt aka 4PPoE) Type 3 provides up to 55W, and type 4 provides up to 90-100W. (Current planned standards expected to be released in early 2018)

Spoiler

I might be wrong. I'm not an electrical engineer or anything.

Looking at that, it shouldn't be too hard to do. The ODRIOD-HC1 uses either a 5v4a (20W) power supply or 5v6a (30W) power supply, so looking at that, with PoE+ it should be able to be powered, though 4PPoE Type 3 would do a much better job.

(Drop the voltage and the amperage will go up. PoE+ at 48v 530mA (common) would convert down to roughly 5v 4a after power loss is considered. That'd be just enough to power the tiny nas.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

if this is able to saturate the Ethernet port and can cluster them.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

I mean most routers allow a USB hdd so as a stand-alone NAS it seems a bit overpowered.

Not all routers have decent native NAS options, or even saturate a HDD's speed. I know within the same price bracket, you can watch one router only be capable of doing read/writes at 50MB/s and another at 100MB/s. At least for me, I'd be interested in having the router with weaker NAS options and have an external NAS, even if it'd cost a bit more.

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Pi doesn't have Gigabit ethernet, so that's a deal breaker for some users.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

Pi doesn't have Gigabit ethernet, so that's a deal breaker for some users.

you have to understand for the price, some things are going to be missing, these NASs are more for an overnight backup than a video editing server. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you have to understand for the price, some things are going to be missing, these NASs are more for an overnight backup than a video editing server. 

So then understandably, for a greater price, you can reduce what's missing and get a more fully fledged solution without going overboard.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

So then understandably, for a greater price, you can reduce what's missing and get a more fully fledged solution without going overboard.

i would sacrifice a bit of functionality for a better community 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i would sacrifice a bit of functionality for a better community 

That's a compromise you're willing to make, but not everybody. Which device is better is subjective and depends on the user's needs and wants.

For me the 100 Mbps port on the RPI is a deal breaker for using it as Web Server hosting files, that's why this product is much better for me, just pop in a 2TB+ drive, install Linux, Ngninx and I'm ready.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

2 hours ago, snortingfrogs said:

For me the 100 Mbps port on the RPI is a deal breaker for using it as Web Server hosting files, that's why this product is much better for me, just pop in a 2TB+ drive, install Linux, Ngninx and I'm ready.

True, the pi makes for a working but horribly slow nas

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

16 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

while that does kind of suck, if youre planning on using this to do something like giving life to some old HDD that you didnt want in your main tower you werent going to get 100mbps anyway.

And while youre still using it as a nas you could have it be a webserver supporting a basic webpage, a personal secure VPN, and a local DNS service that can block all ads on your network for free. (LAMP, OpenVPN, and PiHole respectively)

Cool little device but limited functionality for the average home user IMO.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

41 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

while that does kind of suck, if youre planning on using this to do something like giving life to some old HDD that you didnt want in your main tower you werent going to get 100mbps anyway.

And while youre still using it as a nas you could have it be a webserver supporting a basic webpage, a personal secure VPN, and a local DNS service that can block all ads on your network for free. (LAMP, OpenVPN, and PiHole respectively)

Cool little device but limited functionality for the average home user IMO.

I've got OpenVPN running on my RPi3. :D 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Is the sata port full speed?

The reason rpi nas suck is also because of being limited to USB 2.0, not just the 100M ethernet