7700k vs 1700X for real

I know this forum and the PC building community in general has a bias towards AMD and i don't want to start a war so please be calm and rational. I am building a new PC and i'm researching between the 7700K and the 1700X and can't find any real difference between those two in anything that matters (gaming and light productivity) to me but i know than AMD's platform is considerably younger and want to know from any AMD Ryzen user out there if the platform is mature enough to use it without running into problems with memory and software compatibility and what will i be missing by not buying intel. At the moment i am going towards the 7700K but i really want to be convinced and make the switch to the red team.

Thank you.

PS: I know the Ryzen 5 or the i5 line is a better value but i really wanto to stick either with the i7 or the Ryzen 7

7700K if you really need that single core performance, 1700X for multi threaded work loads.

I am personally very happy with my R7 1700 and other than my memory running at 2933Mhz (which is likely more to blame on my motherboard) it has been serving me well these last few weeks. Double the cores/threads of an i7 was really compelling because of my workload, but maybe it wont be for you.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, VictorVitao666 said:

I know this forum and the PC building community in general has a bias towards AMD and i don't want to start a war so please be calm and rational. I am building a new PC and i'm researching between the 7700K and the 1700X and can't find any real difference between those two in anything that matters (gaming and light productivity) to me but i know than AMD's platform is considerably younger and want to know from any AMD Ryzen user out there if the platform is mature enough to use it without running into problems with memory and software compatibility and what will i be missing by not buying intel. At the moment i am going towards the 7700K but i really want to be convinced and make the switch to the red team.

Thank you.

PS: I know the Ryzen 5 or the i5 line is a better value but i really wanto to stick either with the i7 or the Ryzen 7

Yes it has matured enough, just upgrade your mobo bios.

AMD says AM4 should last you till 2020 when it comes to cpu upgrading

AM4 B350 boards still offer overclocking and can be had for a good price. Some even support Crossfire

Intel has said LGA1151 is at the end of its life, no future Intel CPUs will work on current LGA1151 boards. So if when it comes time to upgrade that 7700k your buying a new board as well.

I just built a PC several weeks ago with the 7700k coupled with a 1080 Ti and I couldn't be happier with the performance I've gotten out of it.  Runs any game flawlessly (Battlegrounds above 60 FPS on Ultra at 1440p for instance).  I've never owned AMD, cannot speak to that.  

At the moment I think that the 7700k is the better option for you assuming that your definition of light productivity con consists of Word, Excel, Powerpoints, programming, and video editing of clips <5min at 1080p But if you do Things like 3D Rendering ie Solidworks and video editing >5mins as well as longer support then I would go with the 1700X

Note: Game developers are probably going to give better support to more cores slowly over times and because of that I think games in the future will do better on Ryzen(I think it will take 2 to 3 year for that to happen though)

When you say "light productivity", what do you mean? Just the occasional video/photo edit or...? 

Would it also be possible that you could provide a little more info so its more relevant to you? 

What res and refresh rate will you be playing at?

What GPU will you use? 

Anyway, the 7700K is the better gaming CPU however, the difference between the 7700K and a ryzen R7 CPU in gaming isn't really that big where IMO it does not outweigh the advantages the 1700X has. From running cooler (as soldered IHS vs long-lasting but shit conductivity TIM) to better potential future-proofing, its kind of hard to recommend the 7700K over a R7 CPU, for me at least anyway. 

Things I should note:

- BIOS update is working wonders for Ryzen, from being completely unable to overclock my RAM, I can now overclock it to 2933MHz from 2400MHz without too much issues. 

- If CSGO is a game you play a lot then just to say, my FPS went from 400-500fps (5820K@4.2GHz) to 275-375fps (1700@3.9GHz) however this is the only game that the difference is soooo big. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

When you say "light productivity", what do you mean? Just the occasional video/photo edit or...? 

Would it also be possible that you could provide a little more info so its more relevant to you? 

What res and refresh rate will you be playing at?

What GPU will you use? 

Anyway, the 7700K is the better gaming CPU however, the difference between the 7700K and a ryzen R7 CPU in gaming isn't really that big where IMO it does not outweigh the advantages the 1700X has. From running cooler (as soldered IHS vs long-lasting but shit conductivity TIM) to better potential future-proofing, its kind of hard to recommend the 7700K over a R7 CPU, for me at least anyway. 

Things I should note:

- BIOS update is working wonders for Ryzen, from being completely unable to overclock my RAM, I can now overclock it to 2933MHz from 2400MHz without too much issues. 

- If CSGO is a game you play a lot then just to say, my FPS went from 400-500fps (5820K@4.2GHz) to 275-375fps (1700@3.9GHz) however this is the only game that the difference is soooo big. 

I game in 1440p 144hz so probably will pickup the 1080ti. I also have an Oculus Rift and play predominantly single player games. The light productivity is video editing for college nothing major.

22 minutes ago, VictorVitao666 said:

Why?

If you are just doing gaming and light productivity, going for the i7 or R7 is a poor decision.

Just now, VictorVitao666 said:

I game in 1440p 144hz so probably will pickup the 1080ti. I also have an Oculus Rift and play predominantly single player games. The light productivity is video editing for college nothing major.

Alright, so at 144Hz, the 7700K is the better CPU for you as it will be able to maintain the higher frame rates better than the 1700X plus the 7700K will do lighter video editing perfectly so overall, the 7700K is the CPU (for you anyway). 

Just now, VictorVitao666 said:

Also would like to know if Ryzen supports nVme m.2

Yep, Ryzen does support NVMe M.2 SSDs ;) 

3 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

Why?

If you are just doing gaming and light productivity, going for the i7 or R7 is a poor decision.

Well...

1. 144Hz so i7/R7 is a good idea

2. Better minimums (0.1% and 1%) so there is reasons for the i7/R7 just for gaming over the i5.

3. 1080ti so...an i5 would bottleneck it whereas the i7 and R7 would not. 

And yes, I understand that OP added that information later and yes, I did reject the 1600/1600X CPUs on purpose as in terms of gaming performance, its basically able to almost match the R7. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well...

1. 144Hz so i7/R7 is a good idea

2. Better minimums (0.1% and 1%) so there is reasons for the i7/R7 just for gaming over the i5.

3. 1080ti so...an i5 would bottleneck it whereas the i7 and R7 would not. 

And yes, I understand that OP added that information later and yes, I did reject the 1600/1600X CPUs on purpose as in terms of gaming performance, its basically able to almost match the R7. 

1. ? I don't understand the correlation. i5 vs i7 and R5 vs R7 offers very small frame rate variance.

2. I guess, but you're telling me to shell out >$100 for minimum FPS?

3. Lmao no. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600/15.html Used GTX 1080. No significant differences to warrant "bottleneck".

Just now, CyberneticTitan said:

Minimums is one of the most important things for VR but your arguments are valid. Is really more of a status thing, i know is really shallow but yeah:S   

In terms of maturity, AM4 is doing pretty well. RAM shouldn't be a big issue if you buy the right kit, I got 2x8GB Trident Z and it runs the rated 3200Mhz CL16 without issue. You just need to update the BIOS.

18 minutes ago, VictorVitao666 said:

Also would like to know if Ryzen supports NVMe M.2.

That's actually one of the reasons I changed my platform. R7 has 24 lanes, 16 to the normal slots, 4 to the chipset, and 4 to an M.2 slot, whereas on Intel's consumer platforms NVMe either has to go through the chipset or take lanes from the GPU.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

14 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

1. ? I don't understand the correlation. i5 vs i7 and R5 vs R7 offers very small frame rate variance.

3. Lmao no. https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600/15.html Used GTX 1080. No significant differences to warrant "bottleneck".

2. Well its a reason...plus VR :D 

1+3. .

The Digital Foundry video above showcases the i7 6700K overshadowing the i5 6600K in quite a few games... GTA V, Far Cry 4, Crysis 3, The Witcher 3...

Also, if OP is going to play overwatch...

Spoiler

CPU_01.png

So in a nutshell, as OP will be gaming at 144Hz with a 1080ti, an i7 does make sense over a i5 plus an i5 can bottleneck starting from a 1070 is some specific cases so... :P 

And don't give me some bull about skylake vs Kabylake as everyone knows IPC wise they're identical. 

Edit: Should also state how this video and benchmark is old AF which newer games will also utilise the extra threads of the i7 so... 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

2. Well its a reason...plus VR :D 

1+3. .

The Digital Foundry video above showcases the i7 6700K overshadowing the i5 6600K in quite a few games... GTA V, Far Cry 4, Crysis 3, The Witcher 3...

Also, if OP is going to play overwatch...

Reveal hidden contents

CPU_01.png

So in a nutshell, as OP will be gaming at 144Hz with a 1080ti, an i7 does make sense over a i5 plus an i5 can bottleneck starting from a 1070 is some specific cases so... :P 

And don't give me some bull about skylake vs Kabylake as everyone knows IPC wise they're identical. 

7600k - 3.5Ghz Base / 7700k - 4.2Ghz Base

6600k - 3.5Ghz Base / 6700k - 4.0Ghz Base

That's where the difference comes from, especially since that Overwatch graph.

When both were overclocked to 4.5Ghz they were very similar in almost all games except GTA V.

Edited by CyberneticTitan

1 minute ago, CyberneticTitan said:

that Overwatch graph

If you look at the 4770K and 4690K (which both have stock clocks of 3.5GHz and 3.9 boost), you can clearly see the difference. 

6 minutes ago, CyberneticTitan said:

That's where the difference comes from

Here's a newer article...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-review

You could do 4.8GHz 7600K vs stock 7700K and the 7700K will still be able to match if not beat the 7600K in those titles plus more and more games (actually all new somewhat big budgeted games) supports more than 4 cores/threads meaning the number of games the i7 is able to outperform the i5 will just increase. I mean the video I linked last post is 2 years olds meaning the industry started moving forward at least 2 years ago so it couldn't have gone back wards right? :D 

Also, its using a titan X pascal meaning it will be even more relavent to OP as he's planning on getting a 1080ti and gaming at 144Hz. 

17 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If you look at the 4770K and 4690K (which both have stock clocks of 3.5GHz and 3.9 boost), you can clearly see the difference. 

Here's a newer article...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-kaby-lake-core-i7-7700k-review

You could do 4.8GHz 7600K vs stock 7700K and the 7700K will still be able to match if not beat the 7600K in those titles plus more and more games (actually all new somewhat big budgeted games) supports more than 4 cores/threads meaning the number of games the i7 is able to outperform the i5 will just increase. I mean the video I linked last post is 2 years olds meaning the industry started moving forward at least 2 years ago so it couldn't have gone back wards right? :D 

Also, its using a titan X pascal meaning it will be even more relavent to OP as he's planning on getting a 1080ti and gaming at 144Hz. 

We can find benchmarks that support our case all day m8.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-core-i5-7600k-review-benchmarks

https://www.techspot.com/news/68407-tackling-subject-gpu-bottlenecking-cpu-gaming-benchmarks-using.html

To conclude, is R7/i7 better than i5/R5 for gaming? Undoubtedly yes. Is it going to make a significant difference? Not really. Maybe in certain games.

Is it worth the >$100? That's not up to me.

4 hours ago, kalnick said:

Yes it has matured enough, just upgrade your mobo bios.

AMD says AM4 should last you till 2020 when it comes to cpu upgrading

AM4 B350 boards still offer overclocking and can be had for a good price. Some even support Crossfire

Intel has said LGA1151 is at the end of its life, no future Intel CPUs will work on current LGA1151 boards. So if when it comes time to upgrade that 7700k your buying a new board as well.

Where did you hear that AMD plans to support AM4 till 2020?

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

18 hours ago, VictorVitao666 said:

Get the 7700k for 1440p 144hz.

You need those extra 10-15% fps

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync