Your Experience with (or someone with) Autism?

PlayStation 2
On 8/14/2017 at 10:13 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

I had an autistic friend. As long as you don't trigger them, they can be pretty cool. He'd watch me play games on my laptop or 3DS during first period.

EDIT: It's also pretty cool that he had memorized the game so well he could probably run through it blindfolded.

Those on the spectrum but are high functioning tend to be startlingly intelligent individuals. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Those on the spectrum but are high functioning tend to be startlingly intelligent individuals. 

IKR? He could be off in space, looking at shit on the walls or playing on a school iPad and still get correct answers to questions in math (when he cooperated).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Oh, slightly revived thread. Anyway uh, experience is no less than with someone without autism.

For example, autism in of itself doesn't exempt anyone with me if they are good or bad. Like, Chrischan is an awful human being, but my friend Chelsea is sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll come back to this, actually:

It's strange to see how I've worked around autism. In a sense @wcreek really helped in expressing emotional love, even if I don't like going on with long conversations.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

5 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

I've always been sceptical of the notion that those high-functioning brainiac types were Autistic at all, because my partner and I both fit into that category and only one of us ever qualified for a diagnosis showing such. Our pasts show the same progression of learning about people, both in actual experiences and themes we shared, and in the base of our psyches: nothing comes second nature to us at all, but we persevere because we're able to construct an understanding of everything around us and keep its logic in memory, referring to it as the need arises. This lets us apply the same learning method to take our understanding of things well beyond what's necessary to live our lives, making it easy to gain an edge in any subject you could imagine because we've been learning this way from the start of it all. Nothing in our method has to change for us to learn as much as a college graduate would know about psychology, sociology, economics, computer science, or a hundred other things.

If anything, a high intellect would be borderline necessary. ;)

Your description is quite correct. Technical knowledge is no obstacle at all, requiring naught but some devotion of effort. Life would be most simple had I desired materials successes. Though it feels that the more I work in understanding other people, the more I become aware of what I lack, and the person that I desire to be. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I know somebody at my school that has autism (its not super bad but you can that something is off) and sometimes I forget he even has it. I say just be patient.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

One of my best mates has it. He's basically learned how to interpret emotions.

I met him first in year 7, he was bullied (and I was unfortunately one of the bullies at one point) but as time moved on he became less and less insular. In year 9, one of my fondest memories is running around the field with him and the rest of our group at the time. Then came the drinking in the park and he changed into being so sociable.

And whilst he's on the other side of the country and we both have our own lives, I regularly see him still, his autism definitely hasn't impacted negatively on our friendship. 

However, there was also this guy from school with more serious autism. He never knew what a joke was and he was bullied by some people, right up to the point that he left for University. He used to say he got sarcasm, but he frequently misinterpreted it, and was overly sarcastic himself at times whilst also just seeming like a dick. Funny story, he always used to wear this salmon hoodie (like every day) and one day in Chemistry class the teacher put ice down his back. He threw a tantrum, walked out, had the teacher put on disciplinary and he NEVER wore that hoodie ever again. He subsequently bought a red hoodie and now he just wears that. Saw him the other week because I'm looking to do Teaching at the university that he goes to. Was still strange. Still wears the same hoodie.

I think my dad might have autism too. He's really stubborn and stuck in his ways. He refuses to use his credit card online, he'd 100% be a Luddite if not for the fact that he's a computer programmer. My mum is more confident on Amazon than he is, and she was introduced into the world of computers in 2009. He also has these strange ticks (probably a sign of Tourettes) but he refuses to get them looked at and he tries covering them up so you don't tell him to do something about it. He was teaching me to drive once and I had to tell him to leave the car because he was getting on my tits, I'm not an unsafe driver yet he was pretending like approaching a junction at the wrong angle was a second holocaust. I now drive more than he does and everyone in my family prefers my driving to his, except him because he won't get in my car.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:25 PM, Volbet said:

Granted, I've never really meet any in the heavier end of the spectrum.

The only thing you really need is patience. 

i have only ever met people on the heavier end of the spectrum. granted i may not have noticed/realized if they were on the lesser end

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

i try to ignore it, whilst be diagnosed with it, on any job applications i completly omit it, i just try to be as normal as possible, im quite the introvert in person, but online its like i have another personality

i struggle severely with managing my emotions (stress, anxiety, depression, sucidal thoughts/urges and self harm) 

im not the most inteligent person with HFA  but im pretty hands on really.

during school, if anyone was slightly different you were bullied.

my experience knowing people with varying degrees of HFA, two of my friends are ridiculously clever, they seemed like normal people albeit your generic nerd. 

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I'm currently in school pursuing a BCaBA (Board Certified assistant Behavior Analyst) as a focus on my psych major. We work with a huge list of syndroms ranging from Gambling Addiction to Tramatic Brain Injury and ASD. I'm working on an Autism Treatment Clinic right now so I have a lot of experience with autism of varying degrees. 

I can't really speak for the majority of people living with ASD as I work primarily with young children but I can say that when someone says that Autism is very diverse I can 100% agree.

If anyone has any questions about ABA or anything feel free to either tag me here or PM me.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2017 at 11:21 PM, Erik Sieghart said:

This sentiment is incorrect. Remarkably few people with HFA actually have gifted intelligence, and more often than not score lower on intelligence and subject tests including mathematics. The idea that autists have some kind of latent ability that makes up for their disability is unfortunately a departure from reality.

I tend to find the misinformation about autism is not quite as scary as the fact that half of it comes from people with autism or immediate carers/doctors of autistics.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.