What is Alienware Smoking?

Just wanted to share. This might be old, but why on Earth is Alienware selling a 1050ti with only 2GB ram?

AW 1050ti.PNG

The real question is what are you smoking looking at alienware to begin with? ;)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

Misprint?  Since the 1050 has 2 and the ti has 4?

Nope. We reached out to Dell and they said it was indeed a 1050ti with only 2GB 

Nvidia says the 1050 and 1050ti have "up to 4GB" of memory.  I guess them make a 2 and 4 gb version of the card for laptops.

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

Notebook version can have 2GBs

notebook versions can even have 1GB, manufactures can order custom versions of a GPU. 

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

notebook versions can even have 1GB, manufactures can order custom versions of a GPU. 

Yeah true.

Is it on a laptop? Might be why. Also Alienware has never been particularly good value.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Its Alienware?

All of their tech is built inside Area 51 to the highest standards of quality.

Thats not a simple 1050 TI, its the ultimate 1050 TI, with technology that has been produced and qualified by the aliens working there themselves.

23 minutes ago, Atmos said:

The real question is what are you smoking looking at alienware to begin with? ;)

They offer a 15" laptop with a quadcore i7 and a GTX 1060 for ~$1400-1500. To compare, a base MacBook Pro 15" comes with a quadcore i7 @2.2/3.2GHz base/boost and Iris Pro graphics for $2000, and $2400 for that quadcore upped to 2.8/3.8GHz base/boost and Radeon Pro 555.

Unless you need OSX, the Aleinware might be a better option...

15 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Yes, but they didn't. They configured a different memory config, but the GPU itself isn't custom.

Semantics argument Drak3 out

Just now, Goku-sama said:

All of their tech is built inside Area 51 to the highest standards of quality.

Not really. Everything is built to a 'better than good enough,' but not the highest standards of quality. They might be above average, but that's still a bit of a stretch.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

They are so many variables:

Usually, the answer is target price (assuming a desktop). In other words, the 4GB variant would have probably been +80$ instead of +50$. But the competition has the GPU (2GB model) for 50$, so you would not be competitive. Yes, Alienware would have more memory, but their target market doesn't care about this, as they don't understand it.

Also, if the competition has 4GB model for also the same premium price, but Alienware uses GDDR5 and the competitor uses DDR3, then the Alienware one would be faster one assuming you don't pass its memory. The swamp of memory type is nothing new. Same for its clock speeds. 2x specs that is rarely mentioned on computer specs, and the target market buyers doesn't value.

And this is the key thing: TARGET MARKET. If you ask the question, then this particular is not for you.

If the system is a laptop, then they are a multitude of reasons, such as space, power, and cost, onto why not more memory was put.

Other things I have seen is that they come to AMD or Nvidia, and ask for an older architecture branded as a new one. If you wiki some models, especially from Nvidia, you can see 2 or more completely different model and architecture with the same name.

The real question is why is alienware, supposedly a gaming brand, selling PCs with a 1050

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thank you all. This has been a fun lunch break xD

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The real question is why is alienware, supposedly a gaming brand, selling PCs with a 1050

Not everyone can afford a 1080 Ti SLI, but still would like to game, and no nothing about building a computer and willing to pay someone extra to figure it all out for them, and build it, and they have 1 phone number to call for anything. In addition, in many regions, Dell/Alienware has the Next Business Day on Site service to fix your system in-front of you. You don't have that with custom build.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

They offer a 15" laptop with a quadcore i7 and a GTX 1060 for ~$1400-1500. To compare, a base MacBook Pro 15" comes with a quadcore i7 @2.2/3.2GHz base/boost and Iris Pro graphics for $2000, and $2400 for that quadcore upped to 2.8/3.8GHz base/boost and Radeon Pro 555.

Yes, but they didn't. They configured a different memory config, but the GPU itself isn't custom.

Not really. Everything is built to a 'better than good enough,' but not the highest standards of quality. They might be above average, but that's still a bit of a stretch.

I was just kidding :(.

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Not everyone can afford a 1080 Ti SLI, but still would like to game, and no nothing about building a computer and willing to pay someone extra to figure it all out for them, and build it, and they have 1 phone number to call for anything. In addition, in many regions, Dell/Alienware has the Next Business Day on Site service to fix your system in-front of you. You don't have that with custom build.

My point is I'm sure there's no shortage of OEMs that you could easily get a build with a 1050 or a 1030 or whatever in... why is alienware doing it?  It dilutes the brand imo.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

They can slap on however much vram as they want if they're making the pcb themselves, the card supports up to 4gb but nothing's stopping them from using less than that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My point is I'm sure there's no shortage of OEMs that you could easily get a build with a 1050 or a 1030 or whatever in... why is alienware doing it?  It dilutes the brand imo.

They don't have much of an image to defend at this point though, those who haven't heard of their poor reputation probably won't know what difference the gpu makes anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

For those wondering. I was looking at Alienware because I was thinking about getting the 13 inch with that great OLED display

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

So, to try and make sense of their pricing you nab up apple man? C'mon, gonna start quoting us on gucci handbags next? xD

Alienware make some decent price/performance products on the lower end, but just like almost every other oem prebuilt the component decisions are often geared to cut costs and improve profit, not to ensure performance, quality, or reliability. You also cant compare it to a macbook when apple uses that appletax so, well, deviously. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

So far, I've seen only Dell has GTX 1050 with 4GB of vram.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

43 minutes ago, Atmos said:

So, to try and make sense of their pricing you nab up apple man? C'mon, gonna start quoting us on gucci handbags next? xD

Alienware make some decent price/performance products on the lower end, but just like almost every other oem prebuilt the component decisions are often geared to cut costs and improve profit, not to ensure performance, quality, or reliability. You also cant compare it to a macbook when apple uses that appletax so, well, deviously. 

I'm just saying, it isn't the worst pricing out there.

Also, it's more like comparing a Corvette to a Lambo. The Corvette can sport the same or better specs, but be cheaper (and of lower quality), but some people want/need the Lambo.

And I can compare it to a Raspberry PiTop for all I give a shit. Hell, I can compare it to a Corvette if I damn well wanted to. And I will:

Alienware has piss poor price/performance if you want to go somewhere.

Corvettes have a piss poor price/performance if you want to game.

See?

Also, I need to keep up the jabs at Apple. Having got a MacBook Pro isn't going to change that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.