AMD Vega 64 mining performance below Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I do love that the first thought I had with this was, "yes! Terrible mining performance!".

The Mining craze has really made GPUs a mess.

That's why I still love our local brick and mortar stores. If you try to buy 2 GPU's online from Microcenter, the second GPU's price in your cart changes to $10,000, lol. It still sucks for the people wanting to buy SLI/Crossfire setups, but they simply have to wait an extra day to get another. Makes it fair for everyone to get a chance at having a GPU.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

doesnt matter regarding mining performance. These cards draw a lot of power that your power bill is gonna be high too. Even if you could beat the titan xp in hashing performance you'd be drawing 100W more power at least.

32 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

doesnt matter regarding mining performance. These cards draw a lot of power that your power bill is gonna be high too. Even if you could beat the titan xp in hashing performance you'd be drawing 100W more power at least.

The main trick with mining is to run it WAY undervolted. ETH is more about memory than full compute power.

However, one of the coin types (Zcash, maybe?) is going to love the Vega. There's always one.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

The main trick with mining is to run it WAY undervolted. ETH is more about memory than full compute power.

However, one of the coin types (Zcash, maybe?) is going to love the Vega. There's always one.

true, nvidia having less bandwidth use tricks to make it count.

On 14/08/2017 at 5:03 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Isn't Vega 64 supposed to be competing with the 1080 and not the Ti?

Just like the 290X is supposed to compete with the gtx 780 and Titan, but also whooping the gtx 1080, 1070 and matching the Fury X in these functions.

Looks like GCN has hit its limit this gen. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

18 hours ago, MrMarriarty said:

what i want to know is why dont they change the drivers to not allow that type of ASIC processing on non enterprize cards???

What you have to remember is this 'ASIC' performance you speak about is actually OpenCL/CUDA. both of which are used in games and also for many workloads that are not 100% in the enterprise space. Without it F@H/BOINC wouldn't work, certain GPU acceleration tasks like streaming wouldn't work, especially in 4K. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 8/14/2017 at 7:52 AM, LordofDeath98 said:

Tom's Hardware benchmarked RX Vegas Ethereum mining performance in their RX Vega review. The results of the benchmark show that the AMD RX Vega 64's Ethereum mining score is lower than the GTX 1080 Ti.

Just as an update, there has been a new driver release that upped the Mining Performance of Vega from 30 MH/s to between 34 and 36 MH/s, which pushes it just beyond the 1080TI in this graph from Hot Hardware: 

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-vega-mining-block-chain-ethereum

Radeon-RX-Vega-Blockchain-Driver-Ethereum-Hashrate.png.fdfd47ca120129ad664eaa3286071746.png

Although I doubt that anyone who actually wants one of these cards will be able to find one with the Mining Craze going on...

38 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Just as an update, there has been a new driver release that upped the Mining Performance of Vega from 30 MH/s to between 34 and 36 MH/s, which pushes it just beyond the 1080TI in this graph from Hot Hardware: 

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-vega-mining-block-chain-ethereum

Although I doubt that anyone who actually wants one of these cards will be able to find one with the Mining Craze going on...

Expect that hash rate to get even higher, I'm sure there a tweaks coming for it from multiple sources that will speed it up. Vega 64 is supposed to be able to do 65 MH/s and Vega 56 55 MH/s. As you know though this is just some guy saying stuff on reddit then me repeating it, who knows how true it is :P

reddit.jpg

https://www.eteknix.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-rx-vega-56-hashrates-calculated/

On 8/14/2017 at 4:58 PM, StarsOfPaleidas said:

I thought it was the 7970, 4870 and 5870?

Oh times before AMD took over ATi.. yeah.

First decent GPU I bought new was a 7950, loved it, it overclocked like a champ

On 8/14/2017 at 0:02 PM, The Benjamins said:

The 290X was a really good card, and it lasted forever. The stock blower cooler was crap but the GPU was amazing.

at the time my 290x was about the same as my friends 780, but now his 780 gets a lot less frames then mine.

My 390X will be doing lots of 4K gaming on my TV once it's hand-me-downed to my livingroom HTPC in November. :)

On 8/14/2017 at 0:58 PM, StarsOfPaleidas said:

I thought it was the 7970, 4870 and 5870?

Oh times before AMD took over ATi.. yeah.

7970 was a fucking amazing card. I'm still using it and it works great all these years later.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On 8/14/2017 at 5:02 PM, leadeater said:

I can get my 290X's hashing around the 33 mark each if I push them :) 

When I did mine, I got mine hashing at 34 :D 

On 8/14/2017 at 5:02 PM, The Benjamins said:

The 290X was a really good card, and it lasted forever. The stock blower cooler was crap but the GPU was amazing.

at the time my 290x was about the same as my friends 780, but now his 780 gets a lot less frames then mine.

You do know that the 290X now matches if not out right beats the 780ti right? Ofc the 780 will be left in the dust, very very far back...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

When I did mine, I got mine hashing at 34

Your's weren't reference models were they? My cards sucked lol. At 33 if the mining alg auto changed using nicehash the GPUs would crash and wattman would reset the OC grr.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Your's weren't reference models were they? My cards sucked lol. At 33 if the mining alg auto changed using nicehash the GPUs would crash and wattman would reset the OC grr.

They were, well reference boards/cards with 'custom' cooling, h75 on one and the accelero on the other :P

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

They were, well reference boards/cards with 'custom' cooling, h75 on one and the accelero on the other :P

Damn, mine sucked and had EK full blocks on them.

8 minutes ago, Name Taken said:

1080 uses 256-Bit GDDR5X memory.

So shouldn't it be better than a 1070, which is slower GDDR5 on the same 256-bit bus? Or is latency more important (although, wouldn't that make Vega much better with HBM2 and is the latency on GDDR5 meaningfully different than GDDR5X?).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So i mine with a GTX 1080 ti FE using nicehash. I run MSI Afterburner where I dial up the power, memory and fan. I'm kinda new to mining and but i'm getting 65 M/H during some mining work it does.

Its far better then what I was getting mining litecoin using another minor. There it was barely hitting 250 k/h

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

Damn, mine sucked and had EK full blocks on them.

To be fair, it was 13-14 months ago, where ETH was considerably different so that may have contributed to it :D