AMD RX Vega reviews

thexzenon
1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Ya I realized that lol. Oh well, it happens. I've seen some of them at Microcenter for 299 for the past few months though.

I'll take your word for it as i have no proof otherwise but i find this extremely hard to believe with the current gpu market. 299 is below MSRP by a good 60 bucks and current GPUS are selling for well over 60 of MSRP and in very limited stocks.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Results from hardware unboxed showed that it performs right around the 1070.

I saw it win almost in every game at UHD, and most in 1440p

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Can't wait to get my hands on a 64 vega water cooled. Power consumption is never a problem for me. Even if It draws 500 watts. My cpu can draw around 300 watts overclocked. My power suppy can handle it. My only problem is overclocking. For dx12 games I like this GPU. AMd fine wine never disappoints 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I highly doubt that: if there were anywhere below 350 they were probably refurbished or returned after mining them into oblivion.

I don't know why they are that cheap but it's always a cycle of three different models. One being a Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS dual, and an Evga card. 

50 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Wait for Navi

This needs to stop. Waiting for the next thing needs to stop. AMD Radeon devision needs to be punished for over hyping and massively under delivering. I hope in compute Vega will be compatible, and those TFs are real [or "gigaflops" how JayzTwoCents knows them] and not another marketing BS.

13 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Results from hardware unboxed showed that it performs right around the 1070.

Actually I have to call those out as flawed: He is putting a fairly nice AIB 1070 model (MSI) vs the craptastic reference blower. If you look at other reviewers Reference vs Founders the Vega 56 actually has more ties and wins all things considered.

Once AIB Vega 56 come out (which in fairness, might be quite a while before those show up) they might be more comfortable trading blows with the 1070. The issue here is mostly twofold imo:

1) Power: I might be at fault but fact remains I already build my rig around a much lower power consumption asumption, doubt I am the only one so requiring a PSU upgrade just isn't attractive when I know Nvidia Volta will probably be @ far more reasonable tdps.

2) Timing: It's been over a year. Having this card even 5 or 6 months ago would have helped them immensely: they should have planned for a non-HBM2 model. As it stands yeah, not gonna last long with a bit of a lead over the 1070 I expect Volta maybe even this same year or early next year.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually I have to call those out as flawed: He is putting a fairly nice AIB 1070 model (MSI) vs the craptastic reference blower. If you look at other reviewers Reference vs Founders the Vega 56 actually has more ties and wins all things considered.

Once AIB Vega 56 come out (which in fairness, might be quite a while before those show up) they might be more comfortable trading blows with the 1070. The issue here is mostly twofold imo:

1) Power: I might be at fault but fact remains I already build my rig around a much lower power consumption asumption, doubt I am the only one so requiring a PSU upgrade just isn't attractive when I know Nvidia Volta will probably be @ far more reasonable tdps.

2) Timing: It's been over a year. Having this card even 5 or 6 months ago would have helped them immensely: they should have planned for a non-HBM2 model. As it stands yeah, not gonna last long with a bit of a lead over the 1070 I expect Volta maybe even this same year or early next.

Don't think that a well cooled 56 would make a massive difference however, maybe drivers will.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

Don't think that a well cooled 56 would make a massive difference however, maybe drivers will.

It is significant for the Nvidia cards though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

50 minutes ago, mikegray said:

<SNIP>

OTOH, those package deals!

If I get a bundle, not only do I avoid paying $200 MORE for a monitor with g-sync - I could actually get a $200 DISCOUNT on a really sweet 1440 Samsung ultrawide monitor with freesync and HDR. to sit tight for another year and wait for REAL 4k OLED montors with freesync - and an AMD card that can drive them.

<SNIP>

Kind of sad to quote my own post, but I just made a discovery about those bundles:

Depending on where you are, those package deals are not NEARLY as sweet. For example, in Germany, while you can get 100 EUR off a Ryzen 7 or 8, there's no available discount on a Samsung CF791 monitor. 

That's a shame. Since I'm in Switzerland (probably get the same conditions as Germany), my interest just dropped by a good bit. I was seriously thinking about building a whole new system around that bundle: starting out with a Ryzen 1700, a water cooled Vega 64 and a Samsung CF791, I could have had da very nice, new system and retired my current rig. Now ... not so much.

Moral of the story: If you're looking at one of those bundles, make sure to check on the deal in your own region.

Spoiler

PSU: Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / MB: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x / RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) / GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24GB / OS: Windows 11 / Screen: Samsung CRG9 (5120 x 1440) / Case: DIY Bench built custom into a a cabinet / Case Fans: 4x BeQuiet Magicool 140mm Pure Wings / Rad: Magicool 180 Triple / Pump: Aquastream XT / Res: Aquacomputer aqualis PRO 450ml / CPU Block: EK Supremacy Clear Acetal / GPU Blocks: Bykski N-GV1080TIG1-X with VRAM Cooling via B-3090TC-X Water Block

Congrats AMD on making a card that competes with other cards over a year old and after market hikes will be the same if not more expensive. I mean thats cool...I guess.

What comes after Navi?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Soooooo, Vega 56 is pretty much the only one worthwhile; and everyone should wait for the AIB models of it anyway. Hopefully it scales well with a nice cooler?

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Kinda expected. If they had a card that can beat 1080ti... We would know all about it long time ago. Now we know for sure why they were so quiet.

I was looking to upgrade my 970, but at this point I can wait for 2060/2070 (or w/e they will call it). I don't see a reason to buy a Vega. Now I regret not buying that Fury X for 350 cad a while ago... 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

Is reading all those reviews good and will give some information or just reading anandtech's article gonna be enough?

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

"the guys with their fancy 1440p ultrawide freesync monitors have finally a real graphicscard to buy" 

- felt like linus was talking directly to me :D guess who`s getting vega 56

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

I don't pay for my electricity so...

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

Time to go with Navi...

Navidia

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, mikegray said:

I've been Team Red since forever, and I've been driving a 2560 / 1440 non-freesync screen with a 2x CF 290x setup for a few years now. I've been planning this upgrade for well over a year: a single Vega (God I'm sick of CF!!)

Interesting, I've not really had much problems with my 290X CF setup, 2560x1600 Dell. I'm only just now starting to look to upgrade since I got ref cards with 4GB VRAM and games are starting to push above that mark at my res.

However never again will I go with a ref AMD card, mine are water cooled but the power phase design is shit compared to later cards and are about as stable as drunk toddler when overclocking the core.

37 minutes ago, Tam3n said:

What comes after Navi?

Kappa, follow by SuperNova,  follow by AMDeath. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Interesting, I've not really had much problems with my 290X CF setup, 2560x1600 Dell. I'm only just now starting to look to upgrade since I got ref cards with 4GB VRAM and games are starting to push above that mark at my res.

However never again will I go with a ref AMD card, mine are water cooled but the power phase design is shit compared to later cards and are about as stable as drunk toddler when overclocking the core.

Do you think it is worth going to Vega from 290CF?

Why not Nvidia?

7 minutes ago, StarsOfPaleidas said:

Do you think it is worth going to Vega from 290CF?

Why not Nvidia?

Not sure haven't looked in to it much, if I upgrade it's going to be a full system replacement and I still want to go with two GPUs cos err... my case is huge lol.

Likely time frame is early next year though so the whole looming Volta thing makes it hard, damn these staggered releases from AMD and Nvidia.