Gold or silver on the head of the contact?

Hi I want to do something special. Like get the right purity/weight of gold /silver and put it on the tip of the contact on the water cooler or even an air cooler. I know you cant see it but it seems awesome to do it and I guess silver is more heat conductive than copper or gold or aluminum. So will it work if I melt a thin layer of gold or silver on the heatsink just for classiness (silver for classiness and more extensive cooling). I have £350/£450 to spend on my pc for aesthetics and fun projects so I though about this one in the shower...

subscribe to pewdiepie

But you wont be able to see it because it's between the cooler and cpu?

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

1 minute ago, LUUD18 said:

But you wont be able to see it because it's between the cooler and cpu?

IDRC but in my head I will know its there and i think its pretty cool.

subscribe to pewdiepie

I'm pretty sure you would hurt performance by like 0.01C or something because of the added metal but honesty just gold/silver plate something you can see instead 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

gold is very good at heat absorption but how are you going to get a perfectly flat surface and i MEAN FLAT if its a few micons out it will be useless. Spend your money on a custom W/C instead

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

You can use gold thermal paste though.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

3 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

i doubt its any better than liquid metal otherwise wed see extreme overclockers use it

Just now, Alaradia said:

i doubt its any better than liquid metal otherwise wed see extreme overclockers use it

If it gives the same temps but makes him feel better why not :)

1 minute ago, LUUD18 said:

If it gives the same temps but makes him feel better why not :)

because things just make us feel better but go against logic aren't a good a idea and sets a bad trend

42 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

Hi I want to do something special. Like get the right purity/weight of gold /silver and put it on the tip of the contact on the water cooler or even an air cooler. I know you cant see it but it seems awesome to do it and I guess silver is more heat conductive than copper or gold or aluminum. So will it work if I melt a thin layer of gold or silver on the heatsink just for classiness (silver for classiness and more extensive cooling). I have £350/£450 to spend on my pc for aesthetics and fun projects so I though about this one in the shower...

Silver wouldn't be ideal since it readily oxidizes in air but if you wanted to get the heatsinks gold plated for aesthics that can work but it won't provide a boost in cooling performance. 

1 hour ago, MrMarriarty said:

gold is very good at heat absorption but how are you going to get a perfectly flat surface and i MEAN FLAT if its a few micons out it will be useless. Spend your money on a custom W/C instead

Gold is not nearly as good at heat absorption as silver, I would know, I do a physics degree at The Imperial College in London. Silver would outperform gold by 25% in heat absorption. The way I was thinking of getting a flat surface was to melt just a little bit of silver and take apart a bit of the cooler (I may have to use a 'custom' water cooler, yet barely custom as you do near to no work) then with a weak but large surfaced area hydraulic press get the press to equally press a thin layer of silver (or gold for 'swag') onto the contact. It may take a couple tries. If this would not work I could manually build a contact with gold and silver and manufacture it to the end of a water cooler in a precise way for efficient cooling. This way if it doesn't work I could just melt/remove the metal and sell it. It should only cost around £150 for a pure silver contact. 

1 hour ago, LUUD18 said:

That's not the same thing and I am guessing it will be a very impure gold substance and / or just will look goldy' with some depressing glitter...

1 hour ago, Alaradia said:

because things just make us feel better but go against logic aren't a good a idea and sets a bad trend

I don't think manufacturing your own contact is illogical and I think it is credible that something like this could work, and if you believe you are incompetent and only do what everyone else does, it is just boring and you seem an average person, who always thinks inside the box not someone who takes chances and if you achieve something you feel better... Like hasn't everyone seem a 'custom' water loop, yet it is barely custom you are picking tubing and a reservoir pump from a company that has manufactured things for you and pretend to people like you did a hard job... Sorry for being harsh, anyhow.

54 minutes ago, W-L said:

Silver wouldn't be ideal since it readily oxidizes in air but if you wanted to get the heatsinks gold plated for aesthics that can work but it won't provide a boost in cooling performance. 

Could I not manufacture a piece which has another metal outside (aluminium or more impure gold or copper) so the silver so that the silver only makes contact with the processor and liquid so that it does not react with oxygen preventing it from becoming black? I could go for gold. But if this project will exceed £350 and 200hours ish of work I will just set it to the side... for now...

subscribe to pewdiepie

@Merp83 

Assuming you are doing direct die contact to remove as many variables as possible, if you had a solid silver waterblock and plated it with say gold to prevent oxidzation. The difference in terms of performance would be very marginal for the cost. 

24 minutes ago, W-L said:

@Merp83 

Assuming you are doing direct die contact to remove as many variables as possible, if you had a solid silver waterblock and plated it with say gold to prevent oxidzation. The difference in terms of performance would be very marginal for the cost. 

The thing is I have £350 -£450 and want to spend it to make or build something very 'unique' and 'class' if it wont work do you think you could give any other suggestions for what i could do? 

subscribe to pewdiepie

2 hours ago, Merp83 said:

The thing is I have £350 -£450 and want to spend it to make or build something very 'unique' and 'class' if it wont work do you think you could give any other suggestions for what i could do? 

In terms of visual appeal I would say get a sleeved cable set and AIO cooler if you want to overclock. Others things you can do to customize are a custom GPU backplate, a custom vinyl wrap or design. 

3 hours ago, W-L said:

In terms of visual appeal I would say get a sleeved cable set and AIO cooler if you want to overclock. Others things you can do to customize are a custom GPU backplate, a custom vinyl wrap or design. 

Sounds good - the back-plate im not sure about as I only have a couple millimetres to work with or I have to bump down the PCIe slot to the next one down- seems a bit too close to the PSU fan then... I really like the wrap design - never thought about it and maybe I will go for a AIO but not a typical corsair one...

subscribe to pewdiepie

16 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

Sounds good - the back-plate im not sure about as I only have a couple millimetres to work with or I have to bump down the PCIe slot to the next one down- seems a bit too close to the PSU fan then... I really like the wrap design - never thought about it and maybe I will go for a AIO but not a typical corsair one...

Should be doable check with Cold zero if your interested in in getting a customized  backplate. 

http://www.coldzero.eu/

Also can't forget the RGB LED's xD