Can I exhaust front and intake top?

KiwiJosh

I recently upgraded to an AIO water cooler for my CPU and it's amazing! Unfortunately, my airflow in my case is now poor. I intake at the rear top for cool air through the radiator.

as I have 2 fans at the front for intake and 2 at the top for exhaust, the flow gets disturbed pulling in from the top rear and as a result, almost all of he exhaust air gets pushed out the side of my case.

Can I reverse my fans to intake at the top and exhaust out the front? This would make a huge improvement to air flow.

UPDATE: I stopped one intake at the front and air flow is much better,

thanks for the tips.

I don't think you can remove posts, so I'll just leave this here haha

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

Edited by KiwiJosh

Simple answer yes you could, is it going to help no lol you have created positive air pressure in your case which is why the heats getting out where ever it can. What you need to achive is negative air pressure take the hot air out quicker than your putting the cool air in to create it in your case.

For example, 2 rear exhaust fans and 1 intake on the front your life should be much better after that

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

I didn't even think about that...

Thanks heaps, I'll give that a go.

You may be better to reverse your top fans to intakes, and turn the radiator into an exhaust. I'm not saying negative pressure is bad, but it does increase dust build-up.

Just play with different configs until you find the best one.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Hay unless your re-writing the first law of thermodynamics negative air pressure is the only sensible option for cooling

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

If the case has negative air pressure air will try to get in all the crevices of the case to equalize pressure, increasing dust build up. Most people recommend a slightly positive case pressure to help reduce dust buildup and promote air leaving the case to improve cooling. 

tl;dr you want slightly more intake than exhaust fans. Look around, most people recommend this.

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

41 minutes ago, KiwiJosh said:

I recently upgraded to an AIO water cooler for my CPU and it's amazing! Unfortunately, my airflow in my case is now poor. I intake at the rear top for cool air through the radiator.

as I have 2 fans at the front for intake and 2 at the top for exhaust, the flow gets disturbed pulling in from the top rear and as a result, almost all of he exhaust air gets pushed out the side of my case.

Can I reverse my fans to intake at the top and exhaust out the front? This would make a huge improvement to air flow.

UPDATE: I stopped one intake at the front and air flow is much better,

thanks for the tips.

I don't think you can remove posts, so I'll just leave this here haha

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

What is your case

Science over dust for the WIN B|

3 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

Science over dust for the WIN B|

science wont save your components from dying a dusty death. Equal air pressure would always be best, with maximum airflow moving through the case. Always try to exhaust out the top, dont try to force hot air down and out, and everything will be fine :D but it also depends on case design -_-

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

No matter what pressure system you want to use(negative/positive or balanced) forcing hot air to go other the up is a waste of energy.
Yes, you could do that but it would be far less efficient try to push on the radiator with the fan and not pull.

4 hours ago, MrMarriarty said:

Hay unless your re-writing the first law of thermodynamics negative air pressure is the only sensible option for cooling

@Ryan_Vickers will be happy to argue with you about that. But imo neutral is best of all. As long as air is moving, airflow is good.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

@Ryan_Vickers will be happy to argue with you about that. But imo neutral is best of all. As long as air is moving, airflow is good.

whats up with your dust in the US, i have non of these dust related issues here that cant be fixed by

55303_3.jpg

and dust vs extreem component heat is a total non brainer

14 minutes ago, MrMarriarty said:

whats up with your dust in the US, i have non of these dust related issues here that cant be fixed by

and dust vs extreem component heat is a total non brainer

What on earth are you on about? First you talk nonsense about air pressure and now something odd about dust? I bet next you are going to tell me why "hot air rising" is SO important in PC cooling.

E: Also, if you look at my location....

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What on earth are you on about? First you talk nonsense about air pressure and now something odd about dust? I bet next you are going to tell me why "hot air rising" is SO important in PC cooling.

E: Also, if you look at my location....

ok so the nonsence i was talking about air pressure everyone agrees that yes negative is better for cooling (science says so too)... even you your self said that in the other post! and its plagued by people complainng about dust with negetive air presure

i did over look your location however which i appologise for

Used this YT vid in my article paints and accurate none bias picture.

1 hour ago, MrMarriarty said:

ok so the nonsence i was talking about air pressure everyone agrees that yes negative is better for cooling (science says so too)... even you your self said that in the other post! and its plagued by people complainng about dust with negetive air presure

i did over look your location however which i appologise for

There is no inherent difference in cooling power between positive, negative, or neutral airflow.  With any of them, you could have a high or low speed, it just depends on how many and how powerful your fans are.  With all of them, once the pressure difference is established, the flow rate of cool air in is the same as hot air out.  If it wasn't the case would swell up and explode, our implode as it's sucked down to vacuum.  Doesn't really have anything to do with the first law of thermodynamics, but it is quite basic stuff.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.