AMD Ryzen 5 2500U ‘Raven Ridge’ Mobile APU Spotted With Vega GPU

Dionyz

Seen this article a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen a discussion about it, so might as well post it here.

During AMD's earnings call earlier this week amidst all the talk of booming Ryzen and Radeon sales, AMD CEO Lisa Su took the time to point out that AMD was still in Ryzen's "early innings." AMD has more desktop Ryzen parts to ship in the coming months, and Ryzen mobile processors are set to hit retail in time for holiday shopping. A new leak shows what's going on with AMD's mobile parts, in what is alleged to be a Ryzen 5 2500U quad-core APU.

This would be the first time a leak hinting at any details of the "Raven Ridge" Ryzen 2000 series parts has turned up. This particular Ryzen 2500U (the "U" designator is believed to be for mobile parts) chip is notable because it is claimed to feature integrated Radeon Vega graphics. The image listing the specs claims the GPU is an AMD 1500 unit and the APU itself rocks quad-cores and the ability to handle eight threads. This part is thought to be one of the Ryzen mobile parts that will hit stores in time for Christmas shopping. 

AMD Ryzen 5 2500U ‘Raven Ridge’ Mobile APU Spotted With Vega GPU

The benchmarks listed in the image above are from the Ashes of Singularity benchmark using the standard 1080p preset. The Ryzen part scored 500 points, which is certainly not stellar performance. These benchmarks, however, represent an early run for the AMD part and perhaps improved performance will come before launch.

Ryzen Mobile Performance

Source: https://hothardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-2500u-leak

I find this a strong selling point. More performance for less power. If this leak is true then I am going to enjoy my next gaming laptop. 

If they can creare an apu for high power laptop that for 50-60w of power can have a r5 1400 plus 10-12 vega gpu unit ( 1050-rx 560 ballpark ) that would be a great win for amd: imagine something like the dell xps15 with that in it, it would be quite a monster

12 minutes ago, Agost said:

As much as I like their current product stack and projects, AMD should really stop copying Intel's naming schemes 

It's intentional. Easier to follow the naming scheme of the company with the largest market and mind share. Helps consumers know how it stacks up. There is no reason for AMD to create disparity with a vastly different naming scheme unless they can come up with one that is so simple it doesn't matter but considering the amount of SKUs, it quickly becomes impossible to keep it simple, so it's easier to just follow the market leader.

10 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It's intentional. Easier to follow the naming scheme of the company with the largest market and mind share. Helps consumers know how it stacks up. There is no reason for AMD to create disparity with a vastly different naming scheme unless they can come up with one that is so simple it doesn't matter but considering the amount of SKUs, it quickly becomes impossible to keep it simple, so it's easier to just follow the market leader.

I know, but also the U at the end for mobile parts? It seems like it's a bit too much, they could have used a simpler "M" or "L" instead of U

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

33 minutes ago, Leshya said:

So the 7th generation APUs already beat intels iris iGPUs on the most high end, dedicated lacking GPUs. Now double that performance? Hell fucking yeah.

now lets lower laptop prices after RyZen already lowered the price possible performance on desktops.

all for it.

AMD's Radeon division is really the best iGPU company, which is the reason the Vega is what it is. The really important detail is that Raven Ridge will be 1 CCX (so 4 cores with ultra-low latency) with a solid iGPU at a low power rate. On the assumption Intel doesn't find an illegal way to prevent it from going into the Laptop space, it should be a true gem there.

Other detail is the naming. "2500U" suggests Raven Ridge is actually on Zen+, which will be very interesting if true. Might mean Ryzen Refresh is almost exactly 1 year after Ryzen launched.

Please let there be a version that is competitive with intel's really shit or ultra shit CPUs (m3 / u series)

i need my 4.5w beast or 15w monster CPUs (anything better than the 7200u while consuming less or the same amount is good)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Agost said:

I know, but also the U at the end for mobile parts? It seems like it's a bit too much, they could have used a simpler "M" or "L" instead of U

That's true but I'm guessing it's U for Ultra-low power as in 15W~. Why M or L? Low power for L I guess but M?

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

That's true but I'm guessing it's U for Ultra-low power as in 15W~. Why M or L? Low power for L I guess but M?

Those were examples.

"M" for "mobile" was widely used some years ago 

"L" for "low voltage/power" or "laptop"

1 minute ago, Agost said:

Those were examples.

"L" for "low voltage/power" or "laptop

I'm pretty sure Intel uses all of the ones you suggested already lol. They have U chips, M chips and im pretty sure there are L chips too

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Other detail is the naming. "2500U" suggests Raven Ridge is actually on Zen+, which will be very interesting if true. Might mean Ryzen Refresh is almost exactly 1 year after Ryzen launched.

I'd say that's a bit pre-mature. AMD might have gone full Intel (and you never go full Intel) and randomly change the numbers like their enthusiast chips with last year's architecture sharing SKU numbers with this year's mainstream chip or their iGPU having a different number than the CPU (it pisses me off that one is "behind" the other). So it might just be to denote that it's a newer chip (perhaps with some hardware fixes at best). Of course all speculation.

3 minutes ago, Agost said:

Those were examples.

"L" for "low voltage/power" or "laptop"

The problem with that is that the mobile market is very diverse now so that you need to denote the TDP as they range from 5W to 50W (more or less) in the mobile segment, so you need a suffix or another naming scheme to differentiate the TDP via the name alone.

11 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'd say that's a bit pre-mature. AMD might have gone full Intel (and you never go full Intel) and randomly change the numbers like their enthusiast chips with last year's architecture sharing SKU numbers with this year's mainstream chip or their iGPU having a different number than the CPU (it pisses me off that one is "behind" the other). So it might just be to denote that it's a newer chip (perhaps with some hardware fixes at best). Of course all speculation.

The problem with that is that the mobile market is very diverse now so that you need to denote the TDP as they range from 5W to 50W (more or less) in the mobile segment, so you need a suffix or another naming scheme to differentiate the TDP via the name alone.

Possible. Though Intel's Mobile space is going to be a disaster for any consumer to sort out for the next ~8 months. They're going to have Cannonlake, Gemini Lake, Coffee Lake and I think some Kaby Lake parts still.

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD's Radeon division is really the best iGPU company, which is the reason the Vega is what it is. The really important detail is that Raven Ridge will be 1 CCX (so 4 cores with ultra-low latency) with a solid iGPU at a low power rate. On the assumption Intel doesn't find an illegal way to prevent it from going into the Laptop space, it should be a true gem there.

they did say they had various cpu teams leap frogging ryzen

13 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

You can still apply L for higher tdp laptop parts and M for lower TDP, it's not that important.

Fucking finally, news of APU that aren't based around Bulldozer.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Agost said:

You can still apply L for higher tdp laptop parts and M for lower TDP, it's not that important.

That's very true but I imagine that U would be applicable to 15W~, L to be applicable to 25-35W~ and M to be applicable to 45W~. So one does not rule out the other. My point was simply that they need many suffixes and they need to make sense and U does make sense for their ultra-low power (which I'd say is a common industry term by now) segment. I do hope AMD will also get a fanless 5W~ design out.

7 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

That's very true but I imagine that U would be applicable to 15W~, L to be applicable to 25-35W~ and M to be applicable to 45W~. So one does not rule out the other. My point was simply that they need many suffixes and they need to make sense and U does make sense for their ultra-low power (which I'd say is a common industry term by now) segment. I do hope AMD will also get a fanless 5W~ design out.

5W Ryzen could be nice but I doubt you would want it over the intel option because of the probably weaker cores. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The name is 2500U but has 4c/8t plus the Vega iGPU, I really doubt it's a 15W part.

14 minutes ago, Agost said:

The name is 2500U but has 4c/8t plus the Vega iGPU, I really doubt it's a 15W part.

Intel is presumably putting out a quad core U processor with Coffee Lake. I'm not sure how SMT affects TDP but it's not out of the question to get a quad core Ryzen and squeeze it down to 15W considering the otherwise great energy efficiency we've seen so far. Granted it will not be a 11 CU part. I think what will differentiate the TDP will be CUs, clock speed and potentially core/cache configs as well as SMT.

Of course we don't know how AMD intends to go about the Ryzen Mobile launch and what is possible. What we do know is that Intel has been holding back.

Not much to deduce from the AotS benchmark. It says 4C/8T and 16 GB memory which would indicate a 35W+ model but at the same time this is an engineering sample on a reference design laptop (presumably), so the specs don't have to make sense.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

That what I was thinking, and zen2 is targeted at late 2018 - early 2019. Still patiently waiting for the desktop APU's

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

they did say they had various cpu teams leap frogging ryzen

We'll get Zen+ in 2018, looks like Zen2 in 2019 and Zen3 in 2020. These don't look to be Intel's 1-3% IPC improvement approach, either. 

Though it seems like Zen2 is going to be 3 CCX per package, rather than 6c per CCX. Expect AMD to stuff as many cores as possible onto a Zen Package. DDR5 likely hits with Zen3 refresh, I'd imagine. (Which going to DDR5 would do more than just refresh a uArch, as that's a large change).

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

That what I was thinking, and zen2 is targeted at late 2018 - early 2019. Still patiently waiting for the desktop APU's

Weirdly, the current AM4 APUs, which AMD is sort of quietly launching in the rest of the world soon, are actually pretty solid little CPUs + GPUs. And that's with Excavator cores. A 4c/8t CCX at 2 Ghz is still going to be solid performer. That they'll probably OC to Ryzen levels means it might actually be a better CPU than the Ryzen 3s. (They haven't said if the APUs are locked or not, as they don't release for at least 4-6 more months.)

8 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Intel is presumably putting out a quad core U processor with Coffee Lake. I'm not sure how SMT affects TDP but it's not out of the question to get a quad core Ryzen and squeeze it down to 15W considering the otherwise great energy efficiency we've seen so far. Granted it will not be a 11 CU part. I think what will differentiate the TDP will be CUs, clock speed and potentially core/cache configs as well as SMT.

Of course we don't know how AMD intends to go about the Ryzen Mobile launch and what is possible. What we do know is that Intel has been holding back.

Not much to deduce from the AotS benchmark. It says 4C/8T and 16 GB memory which would indicate a 35W+ model but at the same time this is an engineering sample on a reference design laptop (presumably), so the specs don't have to make sense.

AMD's APUs are normally 35-45w parts, I believe. Though the CCX on the current 14nm process could do 800 Mhz for some ultra-low powered devices.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Weirdly, the current AM4 APUs, which AMD is sort of quietly launching in the rest of the world soon, are actually pretty solid little CPUs + GPUs. And that's with Excavator cores. A 4c/8t CCX at 2 Ghz is still going to be solid performer. That they'll probably OC to Ryzen levels means it might actually be a better CPU than the Ryzen 3s. (They haven't said if the APUs are locked or not, as they don't release for at least 4-6 more months.)

Ya but they are too close to my A10-7870k to warrant a full PC rebuild. (mineral oil cooled) but I expect the Raven Ridge APU's to have a nice bump in performance (CPU and GPU).

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc