Is it worth it to install an SSD on my laptop?

Hello :)

I have this laptop since a year ago, it's a Dell Inspiron 3451, it was really cheap, like $200 dollars, it has a Pentium n3540, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hdd, intel hd graphics, 14" screen)
It's ok, I've been using it mainly for school, for programming (I mostly use laravel and now we'll use angularJS).

For coding it's not too bad, but you can't only code and that's it, I normally watch youtube videos too and it's sometimes frustrating because it's not very smooth when you go from full screen to normal screen, That transition takes some seconds, also the scrolling is not as smooth as I'd like, and I know it doesn't have as much power as an i3, and there it comes to my main question. I know an SSD can make a difference in performance, but, I have friends who have an i3 laptop for example and they have better performance at those conditions I mentioned, they have hdd too, they obviously don't have great boot times or launching applications times but at least it can handle web content better than my weak Pentium.
So, is it worth it to install an SSD on my laptop?

Will it improve overall performance including browsing the web, youtube performance, etc?
Thank you guys in advance.

An SSD isn't going to make Youtube any less choppy.

SSD is a must! in any way

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

SSDs are nice but getting one isn't going to make YouTube better for you. That's your CPUs fault because it's crap

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

SSDs are nice but getting one isn't going to make YouTube better for you. That's your CPUs foul because it's crap

Agreed just try and save that money for a nicer laptop

On 14/8/2017 at 2:13 AM, Mooshi said:

An SSD isn't going to make Youtube any less choppy.

Just as i thought :/ , well i think i'm buying a new laptop, thank you bro.

On 14/8/2017 at 2:17 AM, Constantin said:

SSD is a must! in any way

Yeah, how ever, i think i'm buying a new laptop anyway, thank you :) 

On 14/8/2017 at 2:28 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

SSDs are nice but getting one isn't going to make YouTube better for you. That's your CPUs fault because it's crap

Haha it's real crap dude, never buy a celeron/pentium (ultra low voltage, because at least desktop pentiums are fine), Thank you bro :) 

On 14/8/2017 at 2:30 AM, Gamerguy207 said:

Agreed just try and save that money for a nicer laptop

Yeah, that's what i'm gonna do, at least an i3-7100u, 8gb of ram and an ssd will do the job i think, thanks buddy!

• 2 years later...

I actually paired a dram less ssd on my Pentium n3540, 4gb ddr3 and improved my general usability. I did it as a fun project to revive an old laptop that's sitting around but the upgrade now gives me a laptop that I can toss around the house without worrying about dropping or getting it dirty. Performance wise its quite noticeable: you tube no longer stutters, especially when going to full screen or exiting from full screen it takes a while but the video keeps playing so you don't miss out on the content (no stutter at all), the content that are paged also loads much faster and there are no longer periods of lag when windows defender decides to take up the scared cpu resources. I'd say for 20$, its a worth while upgrade. Granted I only use this machine for you tube and for light web browsing. 

One thing to note on, on my Lenovo Yoga 2 11 I had to install all the drivers from Lenovo to get the CPU functioning properly. I think without lenovo's drivers the CPU hits the thermal limit and starts to throttle. Now, it runs as toasty as usual but the machine is much more snappier.