RX Vega Review and benchmarks "leaked"

MoonlightSylv
1 hour ago, Liltrekkie said:

500+ watts with a +50% power limit increase????

So what is that, 250+ watts normally? 

It's Hawaii all over again, come on AMD. 

To clarify, 500 watt usage achieved through a 50% increase implies a 333 watt base.

250 watt to 500 watt would be +100%.

1 hour ago, Liltrekkie said:

Hawaii was trading blows with the 780 while using a crap ton more power and creating more heat than the 780 was. This was my point. 

This is basically Hawaii 2.0 basically. 

At least Hawaii came right after 780 rather than over a year later 

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

1 minute ago, aakopa said:

At least Hawaii came right after 780 rather than over a year later 

Not to mention Hawaii actually went on to even be competitive with Maxwell and eventually pulled far ahead of the 770/780 i.e. the good old days of the 390 vs 970 and 390X vs 980. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD omg, wow... fail

So, considering it's around a 1080 and is about a year late (1080 launched a year ago) what would a fair price be for this?  Less than the 1080 obviously... any news on what it will actually be?

My 295x2 is about the same perf, and at 7% OC it is running around 540w.... 2x290X is equal to Vega 64.

P A T H E T I C

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

LOOOOOL that is worse then my 295x2

For reference, this is my 295x2

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13344617

You're comparing a dual GPU card to a single GPU. Which by the way, the 1080 FE doesn't beat your dual GPU card either. Only the 1080TI beats it. VEGA 64 is designed to compete with the 1080. 

Nothing to see here.

Do you even fanboy bro?

In all honesty, I miss my 290 space heater. My family runs the AC extremely low and all the time, shut the vent, run 3DMark for 20 minutes and my room is at a comfortable temperature. In all seriousness, it did keep my room warmer but I didn't buy an 850W PSU for nothing! I've never heard the fan run in it. Though I'm looking at Vega 56/GTX 1080.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I cant believe the power consumption with vega. 

32 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

In all honesty, I miss my 290 space heater. My family runs the AC extremely low and all the time, shut the vent, run 3DMark for 20 minutes and my room is at a comfortable temperature. In all seriousness, it did keep my room warmer but I didn't buy an 850W PSU for nothing! I've never heard the fan run in it. Though I'm looking at Vega 56/GTX 1080.

56 will be amazing if you can flash it and you have a beast PSU lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Remember when the 290 came in and traded blows with the 780 at $100 cheaper, but was 4 months later and consumed about 260 watts compared to the 780 around 220? Yeah Vega is that but worse in every way. It trades blows with the 1080, but is 15 months later, and consumes like 350 watts compared to the 1080 190 watts. What a terrible value proposition. Here the same, for worse in every way!

1 hour ago, Grinners said:

To clarify, 500 watt usage achieved through a 50% increase implies a 333 watt base.

250 watt to 500 watt would be +100%.

330 is still almost double what the 1080 uses....

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Any info on what drivers it was tested with? Any announcement that Vega should be getting new drivers? I'm a bit out of the loop. 

On the AMD subreddit people were saying that these were release drivers. I'm sure performance will improve a bit, but AMD has been optimising drivers for the last 8 months, I doubt there will be the classic AMD FineWine effect. 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

So all the people who said Linus was wrong and jumped to AMD defense when he sat on WAN show and said that RX Vega won't be significantly better that Vega FE because its the same silicon were wrong.....

"They haven't enabled the full silicon" they said, "huge driver improvements to come" they said.

This should have come as a big surprise to exactly nobody and yet some people just refuse to see the truth when its standing right in front of them.

Vega is bad, its comparatively slow, requires huge power and as such runs hotter than the sun and barely competes with Nvidias 12 month old architecture, let alone Volta which shouldn't be too far away now.

Tbh I don't even see Vega as a good base to build up from, it almost as though AMD can't make good GPUs & CPUs at the same time. All the hard work they did throughout GCN building to the excellent RX 400 & RX 500 series has all been for nothing. (Yes I know Vega won't be replacing GCN anytime soon).

It's comparatively the same in terms of performance with what it's competing with. However it's still terrible. 15 months later than Pascal, double the power consumption, and costs the SAME? Yeah that's a terrible value.... MAYBE if you want free-sync it's on adequate value, but even then it's still pretty meh. 

3 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

That's not how % works. 500/1.5 = 333.3333

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Thats msrp with the package deals on the liquid one. 

Supposed to be 600 once they end that or when AIBs make their versions available. 

Still to much IMO. And im a pretty severe amd fanboy

I remember seeing info that the liquid edition will never be sold outside of a pack.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

So all the people who said Linus was wrong and jumped to AMD defense when he sat on WAN show and said that RX Vega won't be significantly better that Vega FE because its the same silicon were wrong.....

"They haven't enabled the full silicon" they said, "huge driver improvements to come" they said.

This should have come as a big surprise to exactly nobody and yet some people just refuse to see the truth when its standing right in front of them.

Vega is bad, its comparatively slow, requires huge power and as such runs hotter than the sun and barely competes with Nvidias 12 month old architecture, let alone Volta which shouldn't be too far away now.

Tbh I don't even see Vega as a good base to build up from, it almost as though AMD can't make good GPUs & CPUs at the same time. All the hard work they did throughout GCN building to the excellent RX 400 & RX 500 series has all been for nothing. (Yes I know Vega won't be replacing GCN anytime soon).

Nah but has RX and this is the gaming version (/s)

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

b6b4f6095944affde44975b3a8cd23c8_1502679280_4022.jpg

LOOOOOL that is worse then my 295x2

For reference, this is my 295x2

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13344617

Completely irrelevant. Yes firestrike can utilise your gpu's but games can't so your 295x2 will be way worse than vega in games. Also 2 vs 1... 2x vega would crush your firestrike score.

These look to be about in line with where Vega was going to be. GCN just isn't a true high-end competitor with Nvidia's Maxwell/Pascal uArch at the moment in Gaming. The Vega 56 as an AIB looks to be the best option.

Though I really hope we get comparison results between 7700k & 1800X test benches. DX12 results could get wonky and I want to see the results.

17 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

Remember when the 290 came in and traded blows with the 780 at $100 cheaper, but was 4 months later and consumed about 260 watts compared to the 780 around 220? Yeah Vega is that but worse in every way.

hawai was and is actually a far superior architecture than the gtx 780. the gtx 780 was good on launch but quickly got overtaken by industry advancements. It's been years since it could keep up with hawai. 780 is objectively the worse product.

Vega would be flattered to be compared to Hawai. I don't see the similarity. Vega so far is looking like a much weaker launch.

3 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

It's even wore than that.

50% power limit increase wouldn't double power consumption. 100% would be double.

345 * 1.5 = 517.5

So assuming that these reports are accurate, then the water cooled version will use 345 watts at stock.

Just now, Humbug said:

hawai was and is actually a far superior architecture than the gtx 780. the gtx 780 was good on launch but quickly got overtaken by industry advancements. It's been years since it could keep up with hawai. 780 is objectively the worse product.

Vega would be flattered to be compared to Hawai. I don't see the similarity. Vega so far is looking like a much weaker launch.

It consumed a lot of power, and performs the same. The 290 consumed a lot of power, and performed the same at launch. The difference is that the 290 didn't consume THAT much more power, and was also cheaper. At the time the difference wasn't as cut and dry as it may seem looking at benchmarks from 2017. Obviously the 780 wasn't a great value, but it wasn't as bad at launch as we now know it was.

Just now, LAwLz said:

It's even wore than that.

50% power limit increase wouldn't double power consumption. 100% would be double.

345 * 1.5 = 517.5

So assuming that these reports are accurate, then the water cooled version will use 345 watts at stock.

Yes I realize that, I was being super lazy about my calculations. Hence why I put the plus sign. I probably should have stated that, lesson learned. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

This seems to line up pretty well with my expectations.

Now let's wait for more benchmarks to come out (by more trustworthy sources).

Anyone wanna bet on what the mental gymnastics will be this time assuming other reviews shows similar results? My guesses:

1) There will be one or two websites which shows the Vega being more competitive than other sites, and that will be posted all the time (just like Joker's video was posted all the time).

2) There will be some area where Vega has the slight edge, like maybe slightly better minimum FPS. That will all of a sudden be the most important thing ever.

3) "Just wait for future drivers! They will make the card so much better"

4) "Just wait for true DX12 and Vulkan games. Please don't look at the current games because they are not truly DX12 and Vulkan".

5) Some way to spin FreeSync to be worth it. Like the monitors being cheaper, or FreeSync being better.

Any other bets?

AMD Ryzen was great but Vega needs a lot more work to be done over it before it can become a viable purchase for most people o-o.

I guess #TeamRed Rebels will be glad to get the Vega 64 LE with liquid cooling, but a 1080 Sea Hawk seems to be just as good.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This seems to line up pretty well with my expectations.

Now let's wait for more benchmarks to come out (by more trustworthy sources).

Anyone wanna bet on what the mental gymnastics will be this time assuming other reviews shows similar results? My guesses:

1) There will be one or two websites which shows the Vega being more competitive than other sites, and that will be posted all the time (just like Joker's video was posted all the time).

2) There will be some area where Vega has the slight edge, like maybe slightly better minimum FPS. That will all of a sudden be the most important thing ever.

3) "Just wait for future drivers! They will make the card so much better"

4) "Just wait for true DX12 and Vulkan games. Please don't look at the current games because they are not truly DX12 and Vulkan".

5) Some way to spin FreeSync to be worth it. Like the monitors being cheaper, or FreeSync being better.

Any other bets?

Well the last one I could see as a proper argument, it's not better but way cheaper. Drivers got good with the Fury but I don't think Vega will get up there in the same way. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well that sucks, wonder if Nvidia cards do well with GPU pass-through...

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ryzen-virtualization-success-gtx-1080ti-passthrough-with-windows-10-client/117390

sounds like it's possible, nice. Got my alternative  

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, Goku-sama said:

AMD Ryzen was great but Vega needs a lot more work to be done over it before it can become a viable purchase for most people o-o.

I guess #TeamRed Rebels will be glad to get the Vega 64 LE with liquid cooling, but a 1080 Sea Hawk seems to be just as good.

Vega 56 will sell more than Vega 64. That's just standard market dynamics. RTG's issue is going to be the narrative problems more than anything else.

Though a Vega 56 + FreeSync monitor is still a good combo for most consumers. This is pretty much the exact same issue Intel finds itself in for the HEDT market: mindshare hit more than monetary hit.