New Stanford Semiconductor Materials May Take Process Node Manufacturing to 0.6nm

Rune

It seems that Stanford may have come across two new materials (hafnium diselenide and zirconium diselenide) that can be used to complement silicon and bypass the 5nm barrier by a considerable amount. It appears that moore's law will continue onward for just a while longer.

As the Stanford researchers started shrinking the diselenides to atomic thinness, they realized that these ultrathin semiconductors share another of silicon’s secret advantages: the energy needed to switch transistors on – a critical step in computing, called the band gap – is in a just-right range. Too low and the circuits leak and become unreliable. Too high and the chip takes too much energy to operate and becomes inefficient. Both materials were in the same optimal range as silicon. All this and the diselenides can also be fashioned into circuits just three atoms thick, or about two-thirds of a nanometer, something silicon cannot do. “Engineers have been unable to make silicon transistors thinner than about five nanometers, before the material properties begin to change in undesirable ways,” Pop said.

The scientists stress that you'd still need silicon, but the combination of these new materials with silicon could still lead to far more complex processors, much longer battery life, and other advantages that usually come with shrinking transistor sizes. Moore's Law can't last forever (the laws of physics won't allow it), but this could delay the inevitable for many years.

Of course, this is going to be many years away if it ever ends up coming to an actual product (and there are other things involved besides just MAKING the physical item). But I like that even though everyone is counting out silicon we are still finding new ways to keep moving forward. At least until we break physics and restart the universe :P

Sources: Engadget ,  Stanford

How many atoms are in a nanometer?

I was under the impression that it was 2-4.

are you saying we can make transistors that are less than 4 atoms in size?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

They can switch single atoms on and off in an array, but this is different, and yes they are claiming it "should" be able to go down to 0.5nm I think I read.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wow, for the longest time I had heard that somewhere around 5 nm would be the limit... that's quite a leap xD 

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

You only need to be concerned once they start claiming we can make them less than 1 atom in size :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

14nm process node doesn't mean the transistor is 14nm

the smallest feature is 14nm, the transistor itself can be hundreds of nanometers

and nobody has a standardized way of what they measure, so 14nm GloFo can be bigger or smaller than 14nm Samsung

and when the fabs come out with stuff like Intel's 14nm+ process... what does that even mean?

but if I recall correctly someone did estimates that on 5nm process node the transistor gate is supposed to be like 3 silicon atoms wide

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow, for the longest time I had heard that somewhere around 5 nm would be the limit... that's quite a leap xD 

You only need to be concerned once they start claiming we can make them less than 1 atom in size :P 

Depends how you define the size of the atom. A hydrogen atom is many times smaller than a Uranium atom, soo. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Depends how you define the size of the atom. A hydrogen atom is many times smaller than a Uranium atom, soo. :P

Well, atoms of what it's made out of... I would have thought that was fairly obvious xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

we can always use smaller atoms ))) like Carbon

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

14nm process node doesn't mean the transistor is 14nm

the smallest feature is 14nm, the transistor itself can be hundreds of nanometers

and nobody has a standardized way of what they measure, so 14nm GloFo can be bigger or smaller than 14nm Samsung

and when the fabs come out with stuff like Intel's 14nm+ process... what does that even mean?

but if I recall correctly someone did estimates that at 5nm the transistor gate is supposed to be like 3 silicon atoms wide

Yeah.

the names are really just BS at this point (I think Hynix said that their 14nm process is just a renamed 20nm process with 3D NAND)

however, I'd think that if you're not a big company, like these people at Stanford, then you really need to measure by the actual measurements.

seems weird for the gate to be a single atom. actually, seems nearly impossible. but what do I know?

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

stop at 0:04

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yeah.

the names are really just BS at this point (I think Hynix said that their 14nm process is just a renamed 20nm process with 3D NAND)

however, I'd think that if you're not a big company, like these people at Stanford, then you really need to measure by the actual measurements.

seems weird for the gate to be a single atom. actually, seems nearly impossible. but what do I know?

mby it's super cooled and running low frequencies so quantum tunneling is not an issue but it's not applicable to mass produced devices either?

20 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't know what your talking about, I can't wait until we are using quarks for the material for CPUs, as it will be very strange.

(pun intended)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

I don't know what your talking about, I can't wait until we are using quarks for the material for CPUs, as it will be very strange.

(pun intended)

Nah, we need to first prove the existence of glueballs, then we need to somehow get them to stay, and then we need to make a cpu out of that. That would be interesting.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

(pun intended)

Such a charming product would surely rocket its maker to the top of the market place

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Such a charming product would surely rocket its maker to the top of the market place

or get bought out and shut down by some oil company, church or lizard people

I wonder if this process is vastly different to what current chip makers use, or if it would require a vast retool and investment for not a lot of return. I don't foresee a benefit by going that small in my eyes, is squeezing that 3% more power efficiency worth it? or is there other benefits I'm missing here?

Also, not VR ready, will fail. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

39 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

I wonder if this process is vastly different to what current chip makers use, or if it would require a vast retool and investment for not a lot of return. I don't foresee a benefit by going that small in my eyes, is squeezing that 3% more power efficiency worth it? or is there other benefits I'm missing here?

There is probably quite a bit more then 3% to be saved, but even 3% is worth it IMO

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you could really say that the marketing for them will be flavoursome

(yea that one was bad)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

seems to me like this is a stopgap measure at best. Graphene transistors are still the future.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

I was gonna wait until ~late 2018 or 2019 to get a Zen 2 equivalent of the R7 1700 (R7 2700?) and I was basically going to sit on a future-proofed 7nm octa-core CPU for a long time until non-silicon CPUs become a thing which I'm betting will be atleast half a decade. 

See any issues with my plans?

10 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

You need to properly define what atom. A oganesson atom is gonna be multiple times larger than a hydrogen one. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I was gonna wait until ~late 2018 or 2019 to get a Zen 2 equivalent of the R7 1700 (R7 2700?) and I was basically going to sit on a future-proofed 7nm octa-core CPU for a long time until non-silicon CPUs become a thing which I'm betting will be atleast half a decade. 

See any issues with my plans?

Yes.

the 2700 won't be an 8-core.

IIRC AMD is increasing CCX size to 6 cores with ZEN+, so it will be a 12 core. :)

Desktop:

Laptop:

10 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

9 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

There is probably quite a bit more then 3% to be saved, but even 3% is worth it IMO

Well intel says that there's 30% less power consumption going from 14 to 10nm, so there are probably hundreds of percents improvement to be had.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Interesting, can't wait to see it in general use and new process. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yes.

the 2700 won't be an 8-core.

IIRC AMD is increasing CCX size to 6 cores with ZEN+, so it will be a 12 core. :)

Will it be 300 dollars?