Can my harddrive be saved?

lr5t

Hello LTT users,

I've run into a problem, yesterday I when I went to sleep I locked my pc like I normally do, only to return the next morning to find out my pc was doing some kind of repair/chdisk thingy.

It was at 5% , and I was informed that it was at the same 5% for a few hours, so It was stuck.

after rebooting and getting into my OS I figured out that my 1TB HDD wasn't in the list.

with light panic I tried all sollutions I know.

I tried a reboot, no succes.

I tried to see it in crystaldiskinfo, it was not there.

I swapped SATA cables without much luck.

I can feel the disk spinning, so there is some hope.

Also when I go into the hardware monitor in my BIOS I can see that SATA slot being occupied, it just shows a (seemingly) random string of text and model number, but nothing in regards of the size ect.

I'm running out of ideas here, is there any way to get to my data, or bring the drive back to life, even temporary so I can get the data off it.

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8-core processor 4000k
GPU: EVGA GTX 980ti HYBRID
motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0
memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3

Harddrive1: SSD kingston 120gb

Harddrive2: 2TB SEAGATE ST2000DM001 (the problem drive!!)

Harddrive3: SSD kingston 512 GB

Harddrive4: WD black 2gb
sounds card: ASUS Xonar Essence ST

Regards,

lr5t

sounds pretty dead. you might have to send the disk in for file recovery where they swap the platters into another drive

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

I agree with the post above, but in the meantime buy another drive, in case the drive decides to work(had the same thing happen to me)so you could transfer everything to the new drive.

We are sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your drive. The first and most important thing for your data is that if you hear any clicking sounds coming from the drive, don't try doing anything with it connected, as every time the drive is turned on or attempts to use it are made when the drive is clicking puts your data even more at risk of being unrecoverable. If the drive is not clicking, you can try running SeaTools for DOS and see if the drive is seen there to check it for errors. 

As far as recovering the data goes, Seagate does offer Recovery Services, there are also many 3rd party options available, you'd just have to do some research as far as what other users recommend.

If you'd like to look into whether or not the drive is under warranty, you can do so using our Warranty Validation tool.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming