60 hz 4k or 100hz 1440

lobster_zoidberg

I'm trying to decide between getting a 40 inch 4k monitor or a 35 inch 1440 ultra-wide. I like the idea of the work-space outside of games that I'd get with such a huge high resolution monitor, and I probably wouldn't play any games on it at 4k, I'd likely play them at 1440 or 1080 so that I could get more than 30 fps. This is also going to be about 400$ cheaper than a 35 inch ultra wide. The ultrawide's only advantage is it is 100 hz. I've been using no greater than 1050p 60 hz monitors my whole life and I don't see any noticable motion blur or frame lag or anything. Would people say the benefits of 100hz ultra wide the same width and 9 cm shorter than a 40 inch 16:9 outweigh the larger cheaper 60 hz monitor? 

Also, are we likely to see 100hz+ 4k monitors 35 inches+ any time in the next few months? 

They were announced at Computex or something (I forget the event name) this year back in April and should maybe launch this year. 144Hz 4K was announced and some other resolutions as well. Their exact release date though is still a mystery. I'm hoping sometime this year but never know :( 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

They were announced at Computex or something (I forget the event name) this year back in April and should maybe launch this year. 144Hz 4K was announced and some other resolutions as well. Their exact release date though is still a mystery. I'm hoping sometime this year but never know :( 

I saw some had been announced but they were only 24 inches or something, complete waste on a screen so small you won't be able to see anything. 

Just now, lobster_zoidberg said:

I saw some had been announced but they were only 24 inches or something, complete waste on a screen so small you won't be able to see anything. 

Yah, Asus announced a 27" version but that's still too small.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-4k-hdr-144hz-display,34692.html

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

I never seen one that is 24 inches, all I see right now are ones that are 27 inches from Asus and Acer

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

And the GPU's can actually handle 144 Hz at 4K without melting.

26 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, Asus announced a 27" version but that's still too small.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-4k-hdr-144hz-display,34692.html

And also likely to be very expensive, $1500+ it's the numbers that are thrown around right now.

Just now, EthanCoow said:

I never seen one that is 24 inches, all I see right now are ones that are 27 inches from Asus and Acer

And also likely to be very expensive, $1500+ it's the numbers that are thrown around right now.

Dual 1080Ti in SLI, water cooled, might be able to come close :D 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Dual 1080Ti in SLI, water cooled, might be able to come close :D 

BUT? CAN IT RUN CRYSIS AT 144HZ 4K?

Sorry, going back, that setup might work, with some setting adjustment.

1 minute ago, EthanCoow said:

Not needed, I only want 4k so I can have 4 windows open easily on the desktop, I'd happily play games at 1440 or 1080. 

Just now, EthanCoow said:

BUT? CAN IT RUN CRYSIS AT 144HZ 4K?

Sorry, going back, that setup might work, with some setting adjustment.

It will run Crysis at whatever rate I tell it to! :P 

Definitely need some adjustments, agreed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, lobster_zoidberg said:

Not needed, I only want 4k so I can have 4 windows open easily on the desktop, I'd happily play games at 1440 or 1080. 

Back to the original topic at hand.

I would say wait a couple months and see if any more news about higher refresh rate 4K and 1440p panels comes about. If not, then go with the 1440p 35-inch panel. 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

if you play a lot of fps/fast paced games, then only would i deem the high frame rate worthy over the other.

But that being said, with new monitors being released i would wait a few more months if you are not too urgent about it, maybe the prices could potentially drop giving you more savings(?)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers