Monitor setup decision 85% productivity, 15% gaming

My targeted usage:

- 85% productivity (programming in MS Visual Studio, Blend, MS Office, etc). I work from home from time to time.

- 15% gaming.

I think that Vega 64 should handle the productivity/desktop part even with 2x27"@4K. The gaming part is the trouble here. I want to utilize ActiveSync and have a good gaming experience for me (and my son) as well.

I am used to my productivity setup at work with 2 x 24" 1920 x 1200 screens, so I am used to 2 monitors setup. Now, I want to have similar at home as well.

• I do not think I like 34" curved screens for productivity.
  • At first I thought about getting a 43" 4K screen for my desk, so it would be like 4 screens in Full HD without scaling. But big ones do not have ActiveSync for gaming.
  • Then I thought that 2x screens slightly angled works better for me (better than curved at least) and that I do not really need 4 "simulated" screens.
  • Then I thought about 2 x 27" @ 1440p 144Hz ActiveSync, since it works for productivity and I could disable/disconnect one of them and play 1440p@144Hz.
  • Then I thought why not 2 x 27" @ 4K? However that is only 60Hz with ActiveSync. It will do productivity properly but 4K on 27" sounds like an overkill, since it will require scaling and could be a nightmare.
  • So, I thought about a combination 4K + 1440, or even 43"@60Hz + 27"@144Hz (which would take too much space on the table and look weird). The idea of having 4K@27"@60Hz still looks like a [scaling] waste and too much overkill.

as a result, I am leaning more towards 2 x 27" @ 1440p 144Hz that covers the scenarios.

Any thoughts on the optimal monitor setup for my scenarios?

Thanks.

Please just mark your entire post and press TX. This is un readable on night theme 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, tridy said:

My targeted usage:

- 85% productivity (programming in MS Visual Studio, Blend, MS Office, etc). I work from home from time to time.

- 15% gaming.

I think that Vega 64 should handle the productivity/desktop part even with 2x27"@4K. The gaming part is the trouble here. I want to utilize ActiveSync and have a good gaming experience for me (and my son) as well.

I am used to my productivity setup at work with 2 x 24" 1920 x 1200 screens, so I am used to 2 monitors setup. Now, I want to have similar at home as well.

• I do not think I like 34" curved screens for productivity.
  • At first I thought about getting a 43" 4K screen for my desk, so it would be like 4 screens in Full HD without scaling. But big ones do not have ActiveSync for gaming.
  • Then I thought that 2x screens slightly angled works better for me (better than curved at least) and that I do not really need 4 "simulated" screens.
  • Then I thought about 2 x 27" @ 1440p 144Hz ActiveSync, since it works for productivity and I could disable/disconnect one of them and play 1440p@144Hz.
  • Then I thought why not 2 x 27" @ 4K? However that is only 60Hz with ActiveSync. It will do productivity properly but 4K on 27" sounds like an overkill, since it will require scaling and could be a nightmare.
  • So, I thought about a combination 4K + 1440, or even 43"@60Hz + 27"@144Hz (which would take too much space on the table and look weird). The idea of having 4K@27"@60Hz still looks like a [scaling] waste and too much overkill.

as a result, I am leaning more towards 2 x 27" @ 1440p 144Hz that covers the scenarios.

Any thoughts on the optimal monitor setup for my scenarios?

Thanks.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Please just mark your entire post and press TX. This is un readable on night theme 

edit:

1. i had a 40" 4k monitor before, terrible response times. so a huge no go I guess.

2. isn't that what most people do? I thought people have their monitors to fill in their left and right area of the monitor, well that is what I do. quickly be able to glance at discord while gaming

3. would work, but i think 4k 60hz would be better for productivity, so have 1x 4k 60hz and 1x 1440p 144hz

4. i have a 27" at 4k right now, 150% scaling. so far everything is working fine, the only problem would be that some older / bad apps (steam) don't have nice 4k support so it looks like upscale 1080p 

5. i am leaning towards having 4k 60hz and 1440p 144hz, more screen realestate if you need it, and high refreshrate when you need it also. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My home setup is a 1440p 32" in the middle flanked by two 1080p 22" screens. Works great for chrome, gaming, lightworks(video editing software) and everything else. I would go for dual 1440p 144Hz displays or a 4K 32" with a small side screen at 1440p or 1080p

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2x 1440p will be a massive improvement over 2x 1200p.

Do you really need 144Hz if you do only 15% gaming? 144Hz is definitely nice though.

1440p vs 1080p

598f8021657a7_Beznzvu.thumb.png.401e961d855cfda45bf196c9e61e293f.png

5 hours ago, WereCat said:

2x 1440p will be a massive improvement over 2x 1200p.

Do you really need 144Hz if you do only 15% gaming? 144Hz is definitely nice though.

I surely prioritize productivity over gaming.

2 x 4K  @ 60Hz monitors with ActiveSync should do it.

I think I am going for a pair of LG 27UD68-P.

Thanks for the feedback!