How useful is G-Sync with 144Hz monitors?

smartroad

I mentioned in another post I am replacing my current monitor setup with some new screens. The original thought was to replace the 3 x 21.5" HD panels with 2 x 27/28" UHD screens. However I also game, and while my GTX1080 can pump out 4K it is at a compromise of FPS and/or quality. So I was thinking of getting a 1440p screen for gaming and a UHD for productivity/video etc. One thing is refresh technologies. Is G-Sync really that good? I mean I can get a non-GS display for £50-100 cheaper than its G-Sync brethren, and even less if I swap brands.

I am not a major FPS player, maybe the odd bit of Deus Ex or Half Life, but mostly I play RPG's: Dragons Age, Witcher - although I do play Elite Dangerous but mostly in VR. Or could I get by just by lowering the resolution I play with on the UHD screens?

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

Alienware 13 R3, 7700HQ, 16GB 2667MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

gsync doesn't discriminate against refresh rates

its inclusive of all the hertz

Photography / Finance / Gaming

1 minute ago, mok said:

gsync doesn't discriminate against refresh rates

its inclusive of all the hertz

But visually would I notice? How would say V-Sync work if it can't keep up with pumping out 144FPS

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

3 minutes ago, smartroad said:

But visually would I notice? How would say V-Sync work if it can't keep up with pumping out 144FPS

G-Sync only operates when your framerate is below your refresh rate. The higher your refresh rate is the better, you'll be making use of G-Sync more often.

3 hours ago, Glenwing said:

G-Sync only operates when your framerate is below your refresh rate. The higher your refresh rate is the better, you'll be making use of G-Sync more often.

That doesn't make sense to me.  How can it only operate below framerate, but also be better at higher framerates?  Surely G-sync is doing far less work the higher your refresh rates are, because a soon as they go above your refresh rate (according to you), it doesn't function anymore?

I'm not saying that you are wrong by the way, but just that I really don't understand your explanation.

Just now, thedons1983 said:

That doesn't make sense to me.  How can it only operate below framerate, but also be better at higher framerates?  Surely G-sync is doing far less work the higher your refresh rates are, because a soon as they go above your refresh rate (according to you), it doesn't function anymore?

I'm not saying that you are wrong by the way, but just that I really don't understand your explanation.

I think he means the higher the display refresh rate is, the more g-sync will be of an advantage when the games frame rate is low. So a game at 45FPS will use GSync more with a 144Hz screen then a 60Hz screen.

1 minute ago, smartroad said:

I think he means the higher the display refresh rate is, the more g-sync will be of an advantage when the games frame rate is low. So a game at 45FPS will use GSync more with a 144Hz screen then a 60Hz screen.

Okay that does make sense, that's how I thought it worked, so cheers for that.