Minecraft Raspberry PI Server

So I want to host a modded Minecraft server with a Raspberry Pi 3 B. I will have max 5 players. (175 mods)

The Pi has 1Gb of RAM, 1.2GHz and has 4 cores (64 bit). I have an 8GB flash drive I can use as a storage device for it (23.23Mbs read 10Mbs write)

I was wondering if anyone who had done anything like this before knew how I could do it and if it would work with the PI. 

Thanks.

(I already know about this website but it's for a vanilla server not modded.)

RAM will mainly be your problem on this. You have to keep in mind that this shit is DDR2 memory and is nowhere near the speed of the sticks on your computer. If you look it up on youtube, the Raspberry Pi will die for this simple task even when only hosting a small player server.

You're much better off hosting it on your computer, or buy a VPS for $3 a month. I would go with OVH.com

2 minutes ago, Mornincupofhate said:

RAM will mainly be your problem on this. You have to keep in mind that this shit is DDR2 memory and is nowhere near the speed of the sticks on your computer. If you look it up on youtube, the Raspberry Pi will die for this simple task even when only hosting a small player server.

You're much better off hosting it on your computer, or buy a VPS for $3 a month. I would go with OVH.com

I would want to buy one but they are very expensive compared to making one yourself. Is there any way you can upgrade ram on a thing like this?

Just now, Vatablous said:

I would want to buy one but they are very expensive compared to making one yourself. Is there any way you can upgrade ram on a thing like this?

No. There's not. And what's expensive?

It wont work, period.

1gb of ram isn't enough to run a vanilla server, and the cou on the rasberry pi while perfect for its usual uses, falls extremely short of what is required to run a server without much lag.

Not to mention also using a usb for storing server data will mean constant and complete block lag the whole time. 

Rent a server for 7.99/mo or something.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Just now, Atmos said:

It wont work, period.

1gb of ram isn't enough to run a vanilla server, and the cou on the rasberry pi while perfect for its usual uses, falls extremely short of what is required to run a server without much lag.

Not to mention also using a usb for storing server data will mean constant and complete block lag the whole time. 

oh ok then.

1 minute ago, Mornincupofhate said:

No. There's not. And what's expensive?

Servers are. Creeperhost and OVH are quite expensive compared to a PI.

Servers are. Creeperhost and OVH are quite expensive compared to a PI.

A $3-5 a month VPS is expensive?

How do you plan on buying a raspberry pi?

A $3-5 a month VPS is expensive?

How do you plan on buying a raspberry pi?

Can you please send me a link to this?

what about trying to port forward my computer? I know much about port forwarding but would I somehow be able to host a server from my computer?

Yeah. You'll probably be voiding your ISP's ToS and will most likely piss them off if they find out you're doing it. You're also susceptible to ddos, which will piss your parents off, as they won't be able to use their internet while it's going on.

Yeah. You'll probably be voiding your ISP's ToS and will most likely piss them off if they find out you're doing it. You're also susceptible to ddos, which will piss your parents off, as they won't be able to use their internet while it's going on.

ok then. Also OVH seems to like being in spanish. Or something of the sort.

ok then. Also OVH seems to like being in spanish. Or something of the sort.

Lol. It's French.

They accept USD and I'm plenty sure they have english support reps.

Just now, Mornincupofhate said:

Lol. It's French.

They accept USD and I'm plenty sure they have english support reps.

So conclusion, a Pi probably won't work and using my computer isn't the best idea. So it's just up to looking around for a reliable server hosting site.

So conclusion, a Pi probably won't work and using my computer isn't the best idea. So it's just up to looking around for a reliable server hosting site.

Creeperhost or whatever you said earlier is a reselling company. They buy datacenter hosted servers and charge you more. Use OVH. Other companies like NFO will disappoint you. Not to mention OVH comes with free denial of service protection, and an unmetered 100mbps port for VPS.

its not just ram; the biggest performance problem on the PI is that everything goes through one USB controller. There are not a lot of useful server uses for the PI except for things like monitoring a weather station and that guy that has a few years of uptime running a webserver off a solar panel, but his only web service is a visualisation of his solar powered uptime.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

36 minutes ago, Vatablous said:

So I want to host a modded Minecraft server with a Raspberry Pi 3 B. I will have max 5 players. (175 mods)

The Pi has 1Gb of RAM, 1.2GHz and has 4 cores (64 bit). I have an 8GB flash drive I can use as a storage device for it (23.23Mbs read 10Mbs write)

I was wondering if anyone who had done anything like this before knew how I could do it and if it would work with the PI. 

Thanks.

I highly doubt the pi would be powerful enough to handle 5 players without any mods. Adding that many mods into the mix, you'd be lucky if it could even handle one player.

If you want a decent shared host, I would highly recommend http://NodeCraft.com, I used them for around the first two years of running my server, and have since moved to OVH as it was better suited for expansion past a single server.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Just now, TheKDub said:

I highly doubt the pi would be powerful enough to handle 5 players without any mods. Adding that many mods into the mix, you'd be lucky if it could even handle one player.

ok well, that helps a bit. I know what to do now.

I've waited 5 minutes after reading this post just for a Vanilla server to start up on my RPi3, so I guess there's your answer :P I'd doubt modded will be any better.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

It will work - how well? That's a differant story. The quad core CPU will most likely be adequate for the server however the 1GB of RAM may be a MAJOR limiter for the performance and overall stability of the server. I would suggest getting a cheap PC from Dell or HP of Ebay and then using that. Ensure that the computer has at least 4GB of RAM minimum and also try to get on with a quad core CPU. 

4 hours ago, tgk300 said:

It will work - how well? That's a differant story. The quad core CPU will most likely be adequate for the server however the 1GB of RAM may be a MAJOR limiter for the performance and overall stability of the server. I would suggest getting a cheap PC from Dell or HP of Ebay and then using that. Ensure that the computer has at least 4GB of RAM minimum and also try to get on with a quad core CPU. 

Quad core matters little. What the server needs is high single-thread CPU performance.

Sure with newer versions having multiple cores is helpful, but Minecraft servers still heavily focus on single thread performance over multi thread performance.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

• 4 weeks later...

It is possible with optimised server instances such as spigot, dedicate as much RAM as you can without causing swapping ~650MB if you are not using the Pi. Also place the server world on a USB stick so that any IO load caused by the server loading worlds does not affect the system IO to the SD card. Tested with 6 players, no mods and over WiFi.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:33 PM, Vatablous said:

Thanks.

Sadly the network phy is on one of the limited usb PHY, and the usb HOST on RPI is 100Mbps max per channel.

I just upgraded my server (modded) but before I did, it was working fine (not much lag, no TPS issues).

the configuration before I upgraded was:

Intel q8200

4GB of ram

and an old 775 motherboard

and an Ubuntu OS

it cost me 60$ total (including HDD, PSU AND CASE)

but beware, some modpacks require more than 4gb of ram!