Computer really slow

5 hours ago, HZapperz said:

Its old outdated gear, is what im saying. Like you could have the threadripper 1950x but in 10 years it would be almost obsolete bc it would be old and worndown. 

I have a Q6700 and a 550TI.....can run windows 10 no issue, along with a host of games..  Saying its obsolete is wrong. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I have a Q6700 and a 550TI.....can run windows 10 no issue, along with a host of games..  Saying its obsolete is wrong. 

What do you think the most likely cause is? Could it be the mobo just it not working right?

1 hour ago, nzskiing said:

What do you think the most likely cause is? Could it be the mobo just it not working right?

I would put it down to junk files on the system. Get Ccleaner and run that and then see. 

Chipset driver updates, bios updates. Important as hell on old hardware. I have a q9550@3.68ghz 4gb of shit made in china no name ram running 1040mhz on a shit g31 board at this very moment and it more than handily tackles windows 10, even stock 2.8ghz 800mhz ram it was fine. Best cpus to start learning on, and they still perform well for being olllllllllld, similar to the phenoms in performance clock for clock. Btw what mobo do you have?

9 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I would put it down to junk files on the system. Get Ccleaner and run that and then see. 

I run ccleaner often, plus i installed windows on another drive and it was just as slow, so doesn't seem to be the drive.

9 hours ago, MightyBooty :^) said:

Chipset driver updates, bios updates. Important as hell on old hardware. I have a q9550@3.68ghz 4gb of shit made in china no name ram running 1040mhz on a shit g31 board at this very moment and it more than handily tackles windows 10, even stock 2.8ghz 800mhz ram it was fine. Best cpus to start learning on, and they still perform well for being olllllllllld, similar to the phenoms in performance clock for clock. Btw what mobo do you have?

yeah that's why it was odd that its not running well. its a p45a01 foxconn : http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000395

yeah that's why it was odd that its not running well. its a p45a01 foxconn : http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000395

Did you download the chipset drivers and sata drivers if they aren't part of the chipset package? It's never going to be able to handle the newer os as well as a more modern cpu but it shouldn't feel like you're running on a single core pentium. Old boards need to be updated as far as they can go to take advantage of new technologies, it might just be that your sata controller doesn't know how to configure the drive in the most optimal way, this could be chipset or bios related.    

10 hours ago, MightyBooty :^) said:

Did you download the chipset drivers and sata drivers if they aren't part of the chipset package? It's never going to be able to handle the newer os as well as a more modern cpu but it shouldn't feel like you're running on a single core pentium. Old boards need to be updated as far as they can go to take advantage of new technologies, it might just be that your sata controller doesn't know how to configure the drive in the most optimal way, this could be chipset or bios related.    

I downloaded the chipset driver on the foxconn website, and my bios is up to date. It seems to be running faster, honestly i use my laptop more than my desktop plus it doesnt help the cpu fan runs at 100% cause its only a 3 pin fan...

6 minutes ago, nzskiing said:

I downloaded the chipset driver on the foxconn website, and my bios is up to date. It seems to be running faster, honestly i use my laptop more than my desktop plus it doesnt help the cpu fan runs at 100% cause its only a 3 pin fan...

You might get it to feel better if you found a sata 2 ssd they're pretty cheap, and the fan you can just buy a pwm fan the same size and replace it. You could try overclocking since you do have a p45 board, i don't know much about foxconn and their quality of boards or your cooling solution though so I would do research if you plan on going that route.

1 hour ago, bomberblyat said:

Download Ccleaner, and defrag (defraggler)

Its not the drive as I have installed windows on another drive and its still slow.

1 hour ago, MightyBooty :^) said:

You might get it to feel better if you found a sata 2 ssd they're pretty cheap, and the fan you can just buy a pwm fan the same size and replace it. You could try overclocking since you do have a p45 board, i don't know much about foxconn and their quality of boards or your cooling solution though so I would do research if you plan on going that route.

Ok ill look into this, thanks :) Not really much point in an ssd atm gonna buy a new pc sometime soon.

16 minutes ago, nzskiing said:

Ok ill look into this, thanks :) Not really much point in an ssd atm gonna buy a new pc sometime soon.

I would avoid the foxconn boards, they are truly auful. If you are staying with LGA 775 then I would look at the gigabyte or Asus boards, my PC has a gigabyte board with DDR3 and alot of overclocking capabilities. 

Its not the drive as I have installed windows on another drive and its still slow.

but still your systemdrive gets shit so i just recommend you to do those

23 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I would avoid the foxconn boards, they are truly auful. If you are staying with LGA 775 then I would look at the gigabyte or Asus boards, my PC has a gigabyte board with DDR3 and alot of overclocking capabilities. 

How much would a cheap board in nz cost? Probably not really worth the time and cost really. unless its quite cheap. why is foxocnn that bad they don't really make mobos much anymore

6 hours ago, nzskiing said:

How much would a cheap board in nz cost? Probably not really worth the time and cost really. unless its quite cheap. why is foxocnn that bad they don't really make mobos much anymore

I don't know how much they would cost. The board I have is truly terrible. The fans are either off or on, If I want to boot to a USB I have to change the whole boot order, I can't over clock, it only supports 2 GB of RAM, the CPU support is limited, and they defiantly feel cheap, there is no bios protection or backup, It has a few random drivers that I can't find anywhere on the foxconn website and that Microsoft update can't find. 

14 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I don't know how much they would cost. The board I have is truly terrible. The fans are either off or on, If I want to boot to a USB I have to change the whole boot order, I can't over clock, it only supports 2 GB of RAM, the CPU support is limited, and they defiantly feel cheap, there is no bios protection or backup, It has a few random drivers that I can't find anywhere on the foxconn website and that Microsoft update can't find. 

Lol, that's sucks, i guess unless its cheap to not bother with a new board, do you think this is what is causing the slowness?

34 minutes ago, nzskiing said:

Lol, that's sucks, i guess unless its cheap to not bother with a new board, do you think this is what is causing the slowness?

Its possible but I wouldn't put it all dow to the board, You could try using an SSD or reinstalling windows to see if that helps, but if you want to keep find that system for the next few years I would suggest getting an asus board or a gigabyte on, it may be costly but worth it, If you only need it for the next two months or so then I wouldn't bother. 

On 8/16/2017 at 7:25 PM, fixitnow said:

Its possible but I wouldn't put it all dow to the board, You could try using an SSD or reinstalling windows to see if that helps, but if you want to keep find that system for the next few years I would suggest getting an asus board or a gigabyte on, it may be costly but worth it, If you only need it for the next two months or so then I wouldn't bother. 

I have already tried reinstalling windows, it helps a little but is still really slow. Atm I am not sure whether I want to buy a pc or keep a laptop.

I have already tried reinstalling windows, it helps a little but is still really slow. Atm I am not sure whether I want to buy a pc or keep a laptop.

Thinking about it foxconn boards have a slow front side bus which may be causing the system to be slow but only a new board will fix that. Here are the questions I would ask to decide between a laptop or pc:

1- do you care about portability?

2- do you like a upgrade path?

3-which would best at the tasks I want to do?

On 8/18/2017 at 11:56 PM, fixitnow said:

Thinking about it foxconn boards have a slow front side bus which may be causing the system to be slow but only a new board will fix that. Here are the questions I would ask to decide between a laptop or pc:

1- do you care about portability?

2- do you like a upgrade path?

3-which would best at the tasks I want to do?

1 yeah, but I have a laptop atm and would use desktop at home

2 yes

3 gaming video editing etc.

I will probably get a desktop just will wait for stuff to calm down like vega etc before i buy hardware.