Have I lost the silicon lottery with my Ryzen 1700?

I've managed to overlock my Ryzen 1700 CPU to 3.9 ghz at 1.45 volts on an ASUS Prime X370-Pro and with a stock AMD Wraith Spire cooler.

Does this mean I have a bad CPU, and have just becomee unlucky with the silicon lottery? Or is it because I need a better cooler?

I say this because, i see loads of people getting 3.9 ghz at like 1.35 volts. Ideally i would like 4.0 ghz.

Is 1.45v the set voltage or the measured voltage under load?

For example, on my 1700, I set 1.40v and under load with some load line tweaking, it was 1.38v at 3925 MHz. Temps were rather scary with a 280mm AIO and I stopped pushing at that point. I'm back at 3.6 GHz as it does it at 1.20v and really cool. The extra power for such a small clock gain isn't worth it for me.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I couldn't get my 6700k past 4.3ghz stock V no matter how hard I tried when using my h60, swapped for an H80i and hit 4.6ghz easily.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, porina said:

Is 1.45v the set voltage or the measured voltage under load?

For example, on my 1700, I set 1.40v and under load with some load line tweaking, it was 1.38v at 3925 MHz. Temps were rather scary with a 280mm AIO and I stopped pushing at that point. I'm back at 3.6 GHz as it does it at 1.20v and really cool. The extra power for such a small clock gain isn't worth it for me.

It's the actual set voltage, i did an offset setting on the asus bios tweaker thing. Anything under 1.45 volts on cinebench crashes. This is my first time overlocking so i could be completly messing it up. But i watched the ASUS guy on youtube do it, and i followed that the best i could.

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I couldn't get my 6700k past 4.3ghz stock V no matter how hard I tried when using my h60, swapped for an H80i and hit 4.6ghz easily.

So you're suggesting that maybe if i got a Noctua cooler for example, i could prehaps get 3.9 ghz at a lower voltage?

2 minutes ago, GR412 said:

So you're suggesting that maybe if i got a Noctua cooler for example, i could prehaps get 3.9 ghz at a lower voltage?

A good one like the d-15 may do that for ya

Just now, Damascus said:

A good one like the d-15 may do that for ya

I see, so i havn't necessarily lost the silicon lottery? And the issue could just be the stock cooler?

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

Maybe a little, but I doubt you can get it below 1.4 even with better cooling, and this also doesn't necessarily mean you could get to 4Ghz if you leave Vcore at 1.45V.

Also: did you adjust 'Load Line Calibration' at all? 

12 minutes ago, Damascus said:

what voltage ?

my 6700k @ 4.5 ghz @ 1.335 vcore runs sweet @ 70-75c on load ( or this is the max temp I get after a complete day of gaming / using ) and I have 212 evo cooling on air

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

5 minutes ago, GR412 said:

I see, so i havn't necessarily lost the silicon lottery? And the issue could just be the stock cooler?

Cooling doesn't affect the silicon lottery...

Cooling just help keeping your cpu cool, so if you increase your vcore to 1.45 and you get crashes @ 4.0 ghz and it's not related to having ultra high temp, it means that yes, the silicon lottery wasn't very good for this one and even if you buy the best cooling ever, all it will do is just lower your temps but you will still crash at that frequency..

In other words : Cooling can only help if your cpu CAN reach higher frequency but needs better cooling in order to get acceptable long term set up. If the problem is that you can't reach higher frequency even when raising voltage to the max recommanded, then it means you have reached the limit of the cpu and even if you add better cooling, won't help...

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Cooling just help keeping your cpu cool, so if you increase your vcore to 1.45 and you get crashes @ 4.0 ghz and it's not related to having ultra high temp, it means that yes, the silicon lottery wasn't very good for this one and even if you buy the best cooling ever, all it will do is just lower your temps but you will still crash at that frequency..

In other words : Cooling can only help if your cpu CAN reach higher frequency but needs better cooling in order to get acceptable long term set up. If the problem is that you can't reach higher frequency even when raising voltage to the max recommanded, then it means you have reached the top of the cpu "lottery" and even if you add better cooling, won't help...

This is not necessarily true, this chip might still reach 4Ghz at 1.5V for example, but no sane person would do that on aircooling.

You're right that lower temps doesn't mean more Ghz directly, but lower temps does allow the CPU to be stable at lower voltages, which can sometimes give a little more OC headroom.

15 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Maybe a little, but I doubt you can get it below 1.4 even with better cooling, and this also doesn't necessarily mean you could get to 4Ghz if you leave Vcore at 1.45V.

Also: did you adjust 'Load Line Calibration' at all? 

erm i'm not sure, what should i set this too? I'll try it out.

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

This is not necessarily true, this chip might still reach 4Ghz at 1.5V for example, but no sane person would do that on aircooling.

You're right that lower temps doesn't mean more Ghz directly, but lower temps does allow the CPU to be stable at lower voltages, which can sometimes give a little more OC headroom.

Also I can get 3.8 ghz at 1.35v with no issues. So my thinking is maybe i can try and get 3.9 ghz at 1.35v with a Nocuta cooler? Maybe....

4 minutes ago, GR412 said:

erm i'm not sure, what should i set this too? I'll try it out.

It depends on your mobo, usually the max setting is not an issue, go with one step lower if you want to be safe. 

One important thing though: it is best to go back to stock settings and increase LLC first, and then find your stable voltage at 3.9Ghz. If you leave it at 1.45V and max out LLC you run the risk that Vcore may actually spike to much higher values.

Just now, GR412 said:

Also I can get 3.8 ghz at 1.35v with no issues. So my thinking is maybe i can try and get 3.9 ghz at 1.35v with a Nocuta cooler? Maybe....

Ah. This is a clear sign that you've reached the limits of this CPU (silicon lottery). As I said earlier, the Noctua will allow a slightly lower voltage at 3.9Ghz, but I think 1.35V is a stretch.

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

It depends on your mobo, usually the max setting is not an issue, go with one step lower if you want to be safe. 

One important thing though: it is best to go back to stock settings and increase LLC first, and then find your stable voltage at 3.9Ghz. If you leave it at 1.45V and max out LLC you run the risk that Vcore may actually spike to much higher values.

Ah. This is a clear sign that you've reached the limits of this CPU (silicon lottery). As I said earlier, the Noctua will allow a slightly lower voltage at 3.9Ghz, but I think 1.35V is a stretch.

Ahhh that's a shame, I really wanted to get to 4.0 / 3.9 ghz at 1.4 volts or below. (since most people say 1.35 - 1.4 is a safe voltage for the cpu lasting) It annoys me though because I just saw bitwit kyles video of him reviewing the AMD Wraith Spire and he managed to get 3.9ghz at 1.3v!

8 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Ahhh that's a shame, I really wanted to get to 4.0 ghz at 1.4 volts or below. (since most people say 1.35 - 1.4 is a safe voltage for the cpu lasting) It annoys me though because I just saw bitwit kyles video of him reviewing the AMD Wraith Spire and he managed to get 3.9ghz at 1.3v!

I'm not saying 4Ghz is out of reach, there are a lot more factors involved in getting a stable OC. Though it is clear you don't have the greatest R7 1700, most BIOSes have a few more settings you can tweak to increase stability, maybe it could even be the RAM that causes the crashes, though I doubt it. 

See if you can find an OC guide for your specific mobo that explains all features and what each setting does, if you're not very experienced with this.

Edit: which mobo do you have?

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

I'm not saying 4Ghz is out of reach, there are a lot more factors involved in getting a stable OC. Though it is clear you don't have the greatest R7 1700, most BIOSes have a few more settings you can tweak to increase stability, maybe it could even be the RAM that causes the crashes, though I doubt it. 

See if you can find an OC guide for your specific mobo that explains all features and what each setting does, if you're not very experienced with this.

I have the ASUS Prime X370-Pro, and speaking of guides, i tried to follow this guide from ASUS themselves. The board he uses is the one above mine, but most of the options are the same. The board he uses just has extra options.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Oh I should also point out, that i ran 3.9 ghz at 1.45 volts when using cinebench at 100% load, so do you think that everyday programs such as games might actually be okay at 3.9 ghz at below 1.4 volts? I've only tested 3.9 ghz with 100% load on cinebench so far.

Just now, GR412 said:

Oh I should also point out, that i can run 3.9 ghz at 1.45 volts when using cinebench at 100% load, so do you think that everyday programs such as games might actually be okay at 3.9 ghz at below 1.4 volts?

No, Cinebench certainly has a more substantial continuous load on the CPU, but some games may actually peak higher than a synthetic benchmark. 

The guide you followed is a pretty thorough one. In the video JJ skipped over the VRM frequency and VRM spread spectrum settings, increasing those could help with stability at the cost of higher VRM temps, which shouldn't be an issue on the Asus Prime boards.

4 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Oh I should also point out, that i ran 3.9 ghz at 1.45 volts when using cinebench at 100% load, so do you think that everyday programs such as games might actually be okay at 3.9 ghz at below 1.4 volts? I've only tested 3.9 ghz with 100% load on cinebench so far.

I would not consider Cinebench a real load.  While it's indeed tough on the CPU, it's for a short duration.

If you have any concerns with your PC actually being stable, I'd suggest running a more aggressive stress test application for at least and hour or two. 

Don't worry too much about 3.8 or 3.9 GHz.  The difference in performance isn't worth being fixated on 3.9.  If you have to drop to 3.8 to obtain stability or safer voltages, you're only losing a theoretical max of 2.6% in performance.  In reality, probably less than that.

Good luck man.

39 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

what voltage ?

my 6700k @ 4.5 ghz @ 1.335 vcore runs sweet @ 70-75c on load ( or this is the max temp I get after a complete day of gaming / using ) and I have 212 evo cooling on air

1.183, ran p95 and Aida64 8h burns for stability.

40 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Thing is, I never changed voltage. Stock 1.183 baby.  To a point, cpu dies perform better at lower temperatures meaning you CAN improve the clocks without any other changes.  (Also the H60 was a solid 75c, no thermal instability)

8 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I would not consider Cinebench a real load.  While it's indeed tough on the CPU, it's for a short duration.

If you have any concerns with your PC actually being stable, I'd suggest running a more aggressive stress test application for at least and hour or two. 

Don't worry too much about 3.8 or 3.9 GHz.  The difference in performance isn't worth being fixated on 3.9.  If you have to drop to 3.8 to obtain stability or safer voltages, you're only losing a theoretical max of 2.6% in performance.  In reality, probably less than that.

Good luck man.

Oh right, I didn't realise it didn't matter that much. I think I just saw people on youtube get like 3.9ghz at 1.3v and thought i was doing something wrong. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

No, Cinebench certainly has a more substantial continuous load on the CPU, but some games may actually peak higher than a synthetic benchmark. 

The guide you followed is a pretty thorough one. In the video JJ skipped over the VRM frequency and VRM spread spectrum settings, increasing those could help with stability at the cost of higher VRM temps, which shouldn't be an issue on the Asus Prime boards.

Yeah i'll have a look for these VRM settings. Thanks for your help.

6 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Oh right, I didn't realise it didn't matter that much. I think I just saw people on youtube get like 3.9ghz at 1.3v and thought i was doing something wrong. Thanks.

Yeah, don't worry about what the next guy is doing bud.

There are a lot of bullshitters out there trying to convince the world that they were the lucky silicon lottery winner.  Ask them to demonstrate putting a real load on the CPU and they change the subject or disappear from their own threads.  xD

Considering that you are using a stock cooler, I think you should be pleased with a 3.8 to 3.9 depending on where you decide to stop.  Just make sure it's stable enough for your needs.  Don't worry about what I or the next guy thinks it should be stable to.  It only needs to be as stable as you need it to be.  

Again, good luck!