my 3D printer is being horrible again, considering upgrading.

so.. something like a year ago if memory serves (probably longer, but that'd make me feel old) i got a wanhao on recommendation of a forum user.

now.. i love this little printer, with some work done to it i can make it print faster than my friend's ultimaker, but.. its been moody..

a quick summing up of the annoyances i had with it:

- the firmware.. is terrible.. it is everything you imagine a chinese 3D printer to be.

- it is noisy as all hell. even with a sound dampening box around it.

- cooling remains problematic. seriously..

- while VERY "modular", maintenance remains a pain, especially because the bearings are as cheaply made as the firmware.

- it just once again ate a buildtak surface, i love buildtak, but GOD is it a pain to replace on this printer. (either i remove it with the heated bed in the printer, or i have to take the heated bed out which means fishing the cable out the controller board)

as a bit of a thought experiment, disregard all sense of budget, but think in terms of value for money.. i'm looking for a printer that solves some of before mentioned problems, while taking these preferences in mind:

- i DONT want brass nozzles, if it comes with one, i want to swap it out. glowfill will ruin brass so fast :P

- i am alergic to printer clogs, so i prefer an all metal hotend. MUCH prefer so.

- i use cura, i like cura.

- all the fillament i have is 1.75, i'd prefer to stay with 1.75

- i print with NGEN_FLEX often, i like my feed motor to be as close to the nozzle as possible

- i like a powerful hotend and heated bed, seeing my nozzle go from 30 to 200°c in under a minute screams time efficiency to me :P

- as before mentioned for heated beds as well, boiling water is the standard :D

- i like build quality, if it wobbles more than the cabinet its on, i'm turning it into a coathanger.

- 200x200 build platform MINIMUM, the majority of my prints are very large in surface area.

my question is, with these things in mind, what options are there? i dont mind some tinkering or modifying, but i eventually want a device i want to be able to walk up to, press print, and not have to mess around for it to work. i'm considering building my own, but i want a good base to start from, and as of yet i havent quite found that either.

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Anet a8 /s

i said something i can expect to work :D

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I dunno, sounds like both my anets are working better than yours, and I have twice as many to have fail

the printer works.. it just has a number of downsides that kinda bug me.

A core xy (hyper cube)or a cr 10? You could probably make it quieter by getting a ramps board and replacing the motor drivers can't remember the specific ones but there's two options usuallyu for it and one of those is the quieter one.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

• 2 weeks later...

What's your budget?

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

11 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

What's your budget?

On 12-8-2017 at 11:40 PM, manikyath said:

as a bit of a thought experiment, disregard all sense of budget, but think in terms of value for money

reading is hard, isnt it?

if i wanted, i could get the latest and greatest of our friends at ultimaker, but the amount of money doesnt equate the amount of benefit for me.

which wanhao do you have?

sounds like it just needs some tweaking and should be good to go.

The Plus models firmware is actually pretty solid but i still recommend anyone to use Octoprint if you really want to print hassle free.

Also get a glass plate as print bed, smooth prints and an even surface to print on makes all the difference.

11 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

which wanhao do you have?

sounds like it just needs some tweaking and should be good to go.

The Plus models firmware is actually pretty solid but i still recommend anyone to use Octoprint if you really want to print hassle free.

Also get a glass plate as print bed, smooth prints and an even surface to print on makes all the difference.

i3 plus, it just has "severe mood swings"

as for the firmware.. i've considered ripping out the controller, the firmware is not doing what i'm telling it to do, thats something i've taken as a certainty by now.

EDIT: forgot to mention, i'm unsure about glass at this point, because of several reasons.

Oh so THAT'S where the faint burning smell is coming from.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

i3 plus, it just has "severe mood swings"

as for the firmware.. i've considered ripping out the controller, the firmware is not doing what i'm telling it to do, thats something i've taken as a certainty by now.

EDIT: forgot to mention, i'm unsure about glass at this point, because of several reasons.

what exactly are you trying to do that the firmware doesn't do?

before i started using octoprint i mainly did bed levelings and started prints from the SD card, beside this there was not much i needed to do to get good results.

I did some upgrades to the printer in the last few months like a better cooling fan and shroud and the Z Brace mod.

I also tried different linear bearings but it turned out they were too sticky and caused wobble.

Its also always a good idea to print some belt tensioners just incase they fail and you are good to go.

also glass is the ultimate answer to bed leveling and surface smoothness issues but make sure you buy boro silicate glass or you will have bad time.

all the parts you need for this cost less then 50 bucks and turn this thing into a rock solid printer, if you want to use octoprint you may need a little more then 50 bucks if you dont have a raspberry pi laying around.

5 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

what exactly are you trying to do that the firmware doesn't do?

before i started using octoprint i mainly did bed levelings and started prints from the SD card, beside this there was not much i needed to do to get good results.

I did some upgrades to the printer in the last few months like a better cooling fan and shroud and the Z Brace mod.

I also tried different linear bearings but it turned out they were too sticky and caused wobble.

Its also always a good idea to print some belt tensioners just incase they fail and you are good to go.

also glass is the ultimate answer to bed leveling and surface smoothness issues but make sure you buy boro silicate glass or you will have bad time.

all the parts you need for this cost less then 50 bucks and turn this thing into a rock solid printer, if you want to use octoprint you may need a little more then 50 bucks if you dont have a raspberry pi laying around.

i get the feeling that the firmware is straight up ignoring some settings punched into cura, most specificly around speed.

i also feel like the temperature isnt quite reading  out right towards ABS temperatures, but i'll have to dig deeper into that.

at least wanhao allows me to tweak some shit.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:01 PM, manikyath said:

reading is hard, isnt it?

if i wanted, i could get the latest and greatest of our friends at ultimaker, but the amount of money doesnt equate the amount of benefit for me.

So get one of these? http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html If I were to do it over again right now, I would buy one of these in a heartbeat over an ultimaker. Ultimakers are nice, but their extruders and hot ends are objectively shit. Also extruders have gotten light enough to where bowden setups are not necessary. Like at all.

ASU

13 hours ago, manikyath said:

i get the feeling that the firmware is straight up ignoring some settings punched into cura, most specificly around speed.

i also feel like the temperature isnt quite reading  out right towards ABS temperatures, but i'll have to dig deeper into that.

at least wanhao allows me to tweak some shit.

Speed is a whole other topic for itself, are you talking specifically about higher printing speeds or more slower ones?

the firmware as preset values for maximum acceleration on every axis and generally limits that should prevent damage to the moving parts and the drive system.

i typically print at 50mm/s maximum and have slower values for the first layer and outlines so only the infill is actually printed that fast.

if you are having problems with the temperature readings you may want to try a new thermistor, drop in replacement is 5 bucks for 3 of them.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/331721610140

if you want to change some settings in the firmware you can connect the printer via USB to your PC and you repetier host to gain direct firmware access.