C++ in Linux environment

So I want to teach myself c++, I know enough programming to know that I need to practice, but the only working computer I have at the moment is a Asus Laptop with Ubuntu on it. Don't get me wrong I've done some research, I know that I need CMake to work with Netbeans or codelite, Eclipse has a C++ flavor that will run in Linux. I can do things in Vim but learning Vim sounds really difficult. also I've made a Hello World in Gedit and used g++ on it which was fun.

Anyway the question is, how I do dis, please?

Is Vim with plugins a much better choice then vanilla Vim?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like eclipse either, due to many bugs and slow performance. But I guess it is the best and most featured IDE for C++. You could also use Visual Studio code which is something in between a simple editor and an IDE. Here you are still near the command line environment like Make or whatever you use, but still you have features like debugging and intelli sense.

A rather nice IDE that will allow a quick start and is available from most packet managers is Qt-creator which, contrary to what the name implies, can be used just as well for non-Qt projects. (But you might actually check out Qt when you're advanced enough)

4 hours ago, Unimportant said:

A rather nice IDE that will allow a quick start and is available from most packet managers is Qt-creator which, contrary to what the name implies, can be used just as well for non-Qt projects. (But you might actually check out Qt when you're advanced enough)

+1 for Qt Creator. The best IDE that I've used for C++ (besides CLion).

Yeah, Qt Creator is nice C++ IDE, even when compared with Visual Studio.

On 8/12/2017 at 11:44 PM, T3lCult said:

So I want to teach myself c++, I know enough programming to know that I need to practice, but the only working computer I have at the moment is a Asus Laptop with Ubuntu on it. Don't get me wrong I've done some research, I know that I need CMake to work with Netbeans or codelite, Eclipse has a C++ flavor that will run in Linux. I can do things in Vim but learning Vim sounds really difficult. also I've made a Hello World in Gedit and used g++ on it which was fun.

Anyway the question is, how I do dis, please?

I totally recommend you CodeBlocks. I just checked and they have an available version for linux.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

You got some decent options on Linux:

I would consider one those 3 IDEs/Editors..they are fast and the last 2 are also free AND you can easily install more plugins to fit other languages/coding needs.

6 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Look at the tested version numbers.

Ever tested one of these yourself?

I worked with Atom for about 1yr and switched to VS Code one month ago.

Can't say anything bad about speed..and who opens a 3GB File? :P

2 minutes ago, svfox said:

I tried Atom for a couple of days. I didn't like it. Too large, too slow, too playful.

Also, why the fuck would I want to have a text/code editor based on a full-featured (= bloated) web browser engine?!

People who actually develop things. 9_9

Emacs - my go-to editor since 2012, with Sublime Text as a fallback - is not exactly fast either, but still notably less busy than both Atom and VS Code.

Write in C.

11 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

I tried Atom for a couple of days. I didn't like it. Too large, too slow, too playful.

Everybody got their preferences.

web browser engine?!

Maybe to develop applications for this Engine? :P

I mainly added these to my list because of the possibility to install plugins for other languages because there is a great community behind Atom and VSCode.

People who actually develop things. 9_9

ah now i get it..i just read your signature.

Just now, svfox said:

because of the possibility to install plugins for other languages because there is a great community behind Atom and VSCode.

http://melpa.org/ :ph34r:

Write in C.

^ I'd assume "inserting" involves "saving the file" though, which probably slows everything down.

Write in C.

But in the end it all depends on what you like and feel comfortable in.

If you never used vim before you won't be as productive as in another editor with a UX (windows like) you are used to.

The more you use vim the more you get used to it and also you get more productive, but you can't say "My editor is much better than editor X because its 'faster'".

1 hour ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

Looking at the results of that linked test, I wonder how much of it is related to the user's environment. Time also marches on, and while tests like this can serve to mark the state in the past, software can be improved. I'm also skeptical of the value of tests like "open a file, insert a character, write the file and quit

These tests are more benchmarking the syscalls and blockdevice speed than the editor IMO.

On 23.8.2017 at 10:05 AM, svfox said:

Look at the tested version numbers.

I worked with Atom for about 1yr and switched to VS Code one month ago.

Performance (in terms of usability) and usability isn't really a think you can benchmark. It's something people experiencing. I don't liked atom too, but I really love VSCode and compared to other very basic editors like gedit or notepad++ it is definetly fast.

Code::Blocks is a decent IDE for C++, unfortunately I experience some crashes with it on Linux, and you will want the most recent version (16.01) for it to behave enough to use. AFAIK Ubuntu 16.04 ships Code::Blocks 13.14 (or similar) while Ubuntu 17.04 ships 16.01 (which is what you want).

It's a lot like visual studio, but not as polished...