How to select a cpu heat sink with black plate for a MO without modifying BP?

Go to solution Solved by EposVox,

He was using parts from two completely different coolers and hacking them together. That's the only reason he ever needed to saw up a backplate. 

Unless you have some obscure old or server motherboard (and even then you'd probably be fine), any cooler you go and buy for your CPU mount will fit your motherboard just fine. There are no compatibility concerns there. They come with all of the appropriate mounting hardware you need.

Linus likes to make a mess of things for videos, that's not how normal hardware assembly with new products plays out.

Hi,

When ever I try to choose a good cpu heat sink, i remember LTT videos where Linus sawing metal from its backplate( scary part ). So I want to know how to select a heat sink with backplate that will suite perfect on mother board without cutting down in to shape. What all things to notice when buying such a heat sink for a motherboard?

Intel Core i7 7800X CPU @ 4.5GHz OC with Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme | ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming Motherboard | G.Skill Trident-Z RGB 64GB Quad-Channel DDR4 @ 2400MHz (CL15) RAM | ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti 11GB @ 1740MHz OC GPU | Thermaltake View 31 RGB Case | Samsung NVM.e SSD 120GB and 4x Toshiba 500GB HDD on RAID10 Storage | EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G2 (80+ Gold) PSU

The only reason Linus would've been doing that is either for custom projects or grabbing the wrong backplate from another cooler.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

1 minute ago, EposVox said:

The only reason Linus would've been doing that is either for custom projects or grabbing the wrong backplate from another cooler.

But still that is compatibility problem. right? So how to avoid that when buying a new hardware for a PC build?

Intel Core i7 7800X CPU @ 4.5GHz OC with Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme | ASUS ROG Strix X299-E Gaming Motherboard | G.Skill Trident-Z RGB 64GB Quad-Channel DDR4 @ 2400MHz (CL15) RAM | ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti 11GB @ 1740MHz OC GPU | Thermaltake View 31 RGB Case | Samsung NVM.e SSD 120GB and 4x Toshiba 500GB HDD on RAID10 Storage | EVGA SUPERNOVA 750 G2 (80+ Gold) PSU

The cooler you buy will come with its own back plate.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

The cooler you buy will come with its own back plate.

Exactly. But how to know if that will go on the back of MO without any issues?

It's a compatibility problem in that he chose a backplate from Cooler X to use with Cooler Z. Not a cooler to motherboard problem.

The cooler you buy will come with its own backplate and fit just fine with your motherboard. The only thing you need to look for is socket compatibility (AM3, LGA 1366, etc.).

1 minute ago, EposVox said:

It's a compatibility problem in that he chose a backplate from Cooler X to use with Cooler Z. Not a cooler to motherboard problem.

The cooler you buy will come with its own backplate and fit just fine with your motherboard. The only thing you need to look for is socket compatibility (AM3, LGA 1366, etc.).

You are saying he was using a back plate of another cooler whose socket type was different?

He was using parts from two completely different coolers and hacking them together. That's the only reason he ever needed to saw up a backplate. 

Unless you have some obscure old or server motherboard (and even then you'd probably be fine), any cooler you go and buy for your CPU mount will fit your motherboard just fine. There are no compatibility concerns there. They come with all of the appropriate mounting hardware you need.

Linus likes to make a mess of things for videos, that's not how normal hardware assembly with new products plays out.

5 minutes ago, Nikz Jon said:

They are manufactured to Intel or AMD's strict standards. The back plate will fit to the board you want, as long as it came with the cooler you buy and fits to the socket you're using.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Thank You @EposVox @NumLock21

#CaseSolved

15 hours ago, Nikz Jon said:

As this was already answered, I'll just add another note. Linus requested wrong cooler from Noctua to begin with. They needed slim backplate and one that came was for normal socket. So rather than waiting a week for another backplate, he took shorter route.

With any desktop consumer boards this won't be issue. Cooler comes with most used mounting hardware. AM4's are still bit harder to get with cooler, but you can request free upgrade kit. So wait for week or two and not hacksaw anything. Or if you are in hurry, some retailers might have upgrade kits for sale.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv