Vega's rumoured insane mining performance is false according to Io-tech

A while a ago we heard rumours about insane crypto currency mining performance on Vega with upcoming drivers. According to them, RX Vega would achieve numbers around 60-70 MH/s, or even more. There's a topic about the matter here.

Today, alongside RX Vega unboxing, Finnish tech journalist Sampsa Kurri from Io-tech revealed that, at least according to his testing, the previous rumours are false. He started by telling the obvious, that we have to wait until Monday for benchmark numbers and other testing. But then he added: (this is my clumsy translation)

That much I can say completely straight here, that some rumours have been going around about Ethereum mining speed - pretty wild numbers too. Well, to put it bluntly: complete bullshit.

So at least with the driver that reviewers are using in their current testing, the mining performance shouln't be anything extraordinary. Of course it's always possible that there's an even newer driver on it's way that has improvements. But to me it seems unlikely right now.

Source (in Finnish): Io-tech's RX Vega unboxing at 10:32

We will have to wait for benchmarks to be 100% sure -_-

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I'll be happy if its trash, damn miners need to back off.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Is that the new Dead Kennedy's album?

Is anybody even going to buy Vega?  I mean it does what it was targeted to do, but at the same time, it's kinda late for it.  I'll wait for Navi before I upgrade from my Fury.  Also, are they still limiting it to those dumb package things?

Only the brush aluminium shroud are limited to the bundles.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

13 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Is that the new Dead Kennedy's album?

Is anybody even going to buy Vega?  I mean it does what it was targeted to do, but at the same time, it's kinda late for it.  I'll wait for Navi before I upgrade from my Fury.  Also, are they still limiting it to those dumb package things?

I might get Vega 56 if you can flash it. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I never believed it 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

Wasn't it supposed to be ~64Mh/s like linear scale from Polaris hmm. 

But whatever, need officiall benches. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

40 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Is anybody even going to buy Vega? 

If it's available my guess would be yes: There's a pretty big vacuum of cards between the 1050ti jumping all the way to the 1080. 1060s and 580s are slowly starting to come back but still overpriced by as much as 80% over MSRP and this goes for the 1070 as well.

If AMD manages to offer 1070 like numbers and also fulfills the radical step of actually having fucking cards in stores for gamers to buy then yes a lot of people are going to buy Vega.

Sadly this is just a tremendously big "If' at this point as I don't seriously think AMD will be able to fulfill demand, even if the card is a complete piece of shit for miners.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Thank Odin.

You probably can.

I feel like Navi would still be a better option, but I guess miners did give AMD a big amount of help here.  I just don't feel the need personally to get one since I have a fury at the moment.  But, I guess I can see the worth if you're making a new build at the moment.

You can't flash FE so you might not. But if you can you can probably make 56 preform better then 64. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Sapphire usually creates bios flashing methods.  The furys have a button for it on the Nitro cards.

The Fury could also always be flashed as far as I know. 

Builds:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'll be happy if its trash, damn miners need to back off.

I'd be really happy if, in mining, Vega took a big step backwards in price/hashes, so that, using a gaming example, it'd be like getting 2-3 fps peak at 144p, lowest settings, in Hovertank 3D (from 1991), on a Tesla V100. :P

I think miners should need to get flagship Teslas or Radeon Pro SSGs (or whatever is the AMD-equivalent of Tesla) to get RX 550 or GT 1030 level mining performance. :) (Maybe a Quadro V6000 could be in-between and do 0.1 MH/s.)

Eh, I can probably still sell my 480 and get at least a vega 56, lol.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

PLEASE BE TRUE

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam