Really weird shut down

shift8

So my 1080 was getting too hot, up to 87C, so I replaced the paste today. Put that card back in, and everything booted fine. Then while I was playing a game, temps and everything good, the PC just shut down. It completely turned off. When I pushed the power button, nothing happened. I was super worried my computer had died, that some kind of short had occurred. I turned off the PSU several times, and no boot. So I changed the power cable, and presto, PC back to normal. 

WTF happened?

I wonder if the power cable was a coincidence and if it was the cards power delivery getting to hot. The graphics cards have VRM (Voltage Regulating Modules) if they get too hot the card may underclock itself or in extreme cases may spontaneously shutdown the system.

Also because you're working with the GPU's bare die did you make sure you covered 100% of it? The pea method works fine for IHS plates but bare die's really need 100% coverage of which the pea method I can't say is ideal for.

Had PC on for an hour now. The temps on the GPU are good. 82C now just like normal. I used the pea method, but I used a shit ton. 

Not sure what happened. I think the cable might have been a monitor cable. But I havent had any more problems so far. 

I am fairly certain it had something to do with the cable. After it shut down I could not get it to power back on with the original cable. It did not even seem like the mobo was getting power. 

But as soon as I changed cable everything was good. I wonder if I accidentally used a cable with too little throughput and it fried itself or something.