Server is not getting hot

TBBZ8X8

I recently bought a used server and in ubuntu it says the cores are pinned however the cpu temp never seems to go above 21 degrees Celsius and the fans never seem to speed up. Why is that? Its a Dell PowerEdge R710 with dual Xeon X5650 processors. It got a 1599 single and 9619 multi core in geek bench. Is that good? I didn't expect it to be amazing but i feel that given the fact that it didn't even get hot it still has more to give. Is there a setting I have to enable? is it only using one of the processors? because 6x1599 is awfully close to 9619. Did I just buy a $50 nugget? I am kinda panicking right now and don't know what to do.

And why are you complaining about this?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Complaining? no sir PANICKING! I want this thing to perform better but it was my understanding that computers get hot when under and intense tasks and this situation is conflicting with my understanding so I am panicking because I am afraid something is wrong.

It's a server. Perform what tasks? all we've seen so far is that you ran a benchmark. But for comparisons sake, my server when it's on gets around 80 when stress testing.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Could you run Cinebench for us, geekbench is useless ;). Servers generally have good cool though so you'll have to run a rather heavy load for a long period of time before the fans will ramp up due to heat.

21'C is like, EXACTLY typical room temperature, it's pretty unlikely that any server (Or any PC at all, really) will idle at room temperature unless it's been powered off for an hour while every component reaches room temperature.  Frankly, even a 'broken' CPU wouldn't idle at 21'C unless it was so broken that it didn't operate at ALL.

The likely scenario is that the temperature sensor has drifted out of calibration or you're looking at the wrong sensor in the first place.

If that sensor is controlling the fans, it's possible that the fans may not run at the necessary speed, so you may want to override them to max (Most servers have the option to just run all fans at full tilt at all times, right?  Isn't that their normal default config even?) to avoid undercooling it.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

21'C is like, EXACTLY typical room temperature, it's pretty unlikely that any server (Or any PC at all, really) will idle at room temperature unless it's been powered off for an hour while every component reaches room temperature.  Frankly, even a 'broken' CPU wouldn't idle at 21'C unless it was so broken that it didn't operate at ALL.

The likely scenario is that the temperature sensor has drifted out of calibration or you're looking at the wrong sensor in the first place.

If that sensor is controlling the fans, it's possible that the fans may not run at the necessary speed, so you may want to override them to max (Most servers have the option to just run all fans at full tilt at all times, right?  Isn't that their normal default config even?) to avoid undercooling it.

He could also swap the two CPUs and see if it spins up. the r710 is a dual socket server. 

Is there a way to test your system to see if you are getting the full performance from your system?  It could be falsely reporting 100% utilization.

21 hours ago, TBBZ8X8 said:

is it only using one of the processors? because 6x1599 is awfully close to 9619. Did I just buy a $50 nugget? I am kinda panicking right now and don't know what to do.

As long as the server posts with both processors installed and they both show up in ubuntu you should be fine. Even if the benchmark only uses one CPU, which would be a bit weird, it doesn't matter because you can still utilize the performance of both CPUs in a different task. 

Feel the heat sinks , if they are too warm to touch for a longer period of time running geek bench you will have a problem in the long term. As AshleyAshes said it most likely is a dud thermal sensor. You could try different software or use speedfan to maybe control fan speeds

On 8/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, TBBZ8X8 said:

I recently bought a used server and in ubuntu it says the cores are pinned however the cpu temp never seems to go above 21 degrees Celsius and the fans never seem to speed up. Why is that? Its a Dell PowerEdge R710 with dual Xeon X5650 processors. It got a 1599 single and 9619 multi core in geek bench. Is that good? I didn't expect it to be amazing but i feel that given the fact that it didn't even get hot it still has more to give. Is there a setting I have to enable? is it only using one of the processors? because 6x1599 is awfully close to 9619. Did I just buy a $50 nugget? I am kinda panicking right now and don't know what to do.

Either 1) CPUs are well cooled/not under a lot of load (as others have said) or

2) the BIOS is reporting the wrong temp/has a faulty sensor, grab a laser thermometer and shoot it at the cpu HSF assembly to confirm the sensor is reporting accurately (it wont be the exact same, but should be in the area of the bios).

Intel Xeon CPU's don't get hot. The temperatures of the CPU's on my main computer are around 65 degrees Fahrenheit(>20 degrees C). 

6 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

Intel Xeon CPU's don't get hot. The temperatures of the CPU's on my main computer are around 65 degrees Fahrenheit(>20 degrees C). 

I'm pretty sure that 65'F you're seeing is actually 65'C.

You are sorely mistaken if you think an X86CPU, any x86 CPU, runs at room temperature.  (Barring extreme circumstances like cooling systems that use actual refrigeration or running the computer outdoors in the winter.)

I have a R610 with an X5670 and both iDRAC and vCenter do not report CPU temps. Ontop of which, google says the board only reports ambient temperatures. So I feel like whatever you're seeing is only the ambient temp. Log into your impi/idrac console to verify.

To note, my reported temp is 21c ambient. Which honestly it's in a storage room with poor circulation so it's about right.

13 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm pretty sure that 65'F you're seeing is actually 65'C.

You are sorely mistaken if you think an X86CPU, any x86 CPU, runs at room temperature.  (Barring extreme circumstances like cooling systems that use actual refrigeration or running the computer outdoors in the winter.)

No, I am seeing 65 F/18 C. Both CPU's are liquid cooled in a room that is air conditioned. 

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

No, I am seeing 65 F/18 C. Both CPU's are liquid cooled in a room that is air conditioned. 

No, that still won't get a CPU to 18'C at the core.  I think you may be monitoring ambient system temperature rather than CPU temperature.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

No, that still won't get a CPU to 18'C at the core.  I think you may be monitoring ambient system temperature rather than CPU temperature.

Where do I find the core temperature? 

Where do I find the core temperature? 

If you're running WIndows and it's intel chips, the easiest way to at least reliably poll ONE of the CPUs but RealTemp ONLY looks at the core sensors on an intel chip, though it's not made for multisocket systems so it'll probably only show you data for socket number one.

https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

If you're running WIndows and it's intel chips, the easiest way to at least reliably poll ONE of the CPUs but RealTemp ONLY looks at the core sensors on an intel chip, though it's not made for multisocket systems so it'll probably only show you data for socket number one.

https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

The temperature in real temp is slightly higher. Temperatures are in the Upper 70's Fahrenheit. 

temp.PNG

The temperature in real temp is slightly higher. Temperatures are in the Upper 70's Fahrenheit. 

temp.PNG

I'm curious about what's 'room temperature' in that space, but for a CPU at idle, if well cooled, yeah mid to high twenties is plausible unlike 18'C.

Ok so I ran the test again and I got double the score. I don't know what happened but I am still confused as to why the temperature is so low. I am going to try something when I get home tonight. When AshleyAshes said 21C is close to room temp that made me think that it may be an intake probe rather than the die temp but again still doesn't explain why the fans aren't spinning up. I just need some numbers from the server. Oh and I am using htop to see CPU utilization.

Thanks for all the help guys I always love this community!

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm curious about what's 'room temperature' in that space, but for a CPU at idle, if well cooled, yeah mid to high twenties is plausible unlike 18'C.

The room temperature is 62 degrees Fahrenheit.This screenshot was taken while the CPU's were being used. In normal usage I see temperatures in the twenties Celsius, when idle temperatures go below 20 degrees Celsius.

Normal for Xeons to be that cool under water cooled conditions, I would look at the BIOS configuration and make sure the R710 is set to maximum performance otherwise it has a low of power saving functions which reduce the power states on the CPU very heavily.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

13 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Normal for Xeons to be that cool under water cooled conditions, I would look at the BIOS configuration and make sure the R710 is set to maximum performance otherwise it has a low of power saving functions which reduce the power states on the CPU very heavily.

Water cooling is overkill for the lower clocked Xeons. These are the temperatures of my dual-Xeon workstation while idle.

temp2.PNG