Voltage Stability Testing?

okay so I ran AIDA64 for 20 minutes at a 1.200v for a 4.8ghz OC on my i7-7700k and got no crashes everything was great

but the second I started loading up apps and stuff or installing a game I get a BSOD why did this happen doing installs and stuff and not on the AIDA test? also I only had the CPU checked on the AIDA test

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Check FPU as well, aida isn't the best stress test in the world

idk

Check CPU, FPU, and Cache for a stability test, this will hit the CPU harder than just having CPU checked. Try to test with that and see if AIDA crashes out

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Check FPU as well, aida isn't the best stress test in the world

Just now, MysticalRainXIV said:

Check CPU, FPU, and Cache for a stability test, this will hit the CPU harder than just having CPU checked. Try to test with that and see if AIDA crashes out

ill give that a shot and do you guys recommend any other type of stress tests that are better?

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

Just now, xovague said:

ill give that a shot and do you guys recommend any other type of stress tests that are better?

PRIME95 is the end all be all as far as I know to really stress testing, but I personally wouldnt recommend it as it puts a load on the CPU thats very unrealistic, even for a synthetic stress test. If you pass AIDA you'll be fine for the most part.

Main Rig:

| 13900K@6.1/4.7 w/TVB | Corsair h150i Elite LCD | Sapphire NITRO SE+ 6900XT@2710MHz | ASUS Z790 Strix-E | Corsair DDR5 Dominator Platinum 2x16GB@6200MT/s | Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO |

My Folding Stats

Realbench for 2hr is a good test.  Prime95 and OCCT for 2 hrs each if you want to be even more thorough. 

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

4 minutes ago, jools said:

ur OC is bad....no proper stress tests

still better than stock tho

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

still better than stock tho

mmmm..... a working pc at stock OR one that crashes under load?  The OP just needs to redo his OC better....and yes a good OC is better than stock but stock is better than bad OC

Remember that an OC that fails under artificial stress-testing might be perfectly fine for gaming and that the opposite can also be true - you pass all the synthetic things but fail in real world conditions. You might also want to make sure that your PSU isn't being overdrawn/having issues.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

14 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

Remember that an OC that fails under artificial stress-testing might be perfectly fine for gaming and that the opposite can also be true - you pass all the synthetic things but fail in real world conditions. You might also want to make sure that your PSU isn't being overdrawn/having issues.

30 minutes ago, jools said:

ur OC is bad....no proper stress tests

if I set the OC to 1.235v it runs 100% fine but I never went below that other than 1.200 and that was a fail im trying to get the lowest voltage for 4.8 to get the best temps not really worrying about going any higher than 4.8 

all cpu vary in OC ability...its just a cases of finding ur best happy medium....I run prime 95 for my OC's for about 2 hrs

1 minute ago, jools said:

all cpu vary in OC ability...its just a cases of finding ur best happy medium....I run prime 95 for my OC's for about 2 hrs

I've been doing some research a lot of people are saying AIDA64 can take up to 6 hours to find a instability in the system that may explain why I passed with flying colors, I'll try real bench out and see what that gives me

yep stress testing s/ware varies , ive always found prime95 good , thou some say it can be to hard on pc,s but ive never had an issue with it. plus as an earlier poster correctly stated "Remember that an OC that fails under artificial stress-testing might be perfectly fine for gaming and that the opposite can also be true - you pass all the synthetic things but fail in real world conditions." the first part of this premis is true , we want it to pass not fail. that way we know it will work in real world. while this didn't happen for you, its most likely down to stress s/ware

I've always stressed with prime, recently I've added aida as well. Different stress tests work differently, good to have a mix

Good thing is prime is pretty diabolical for heat, good to test cooling under worst case

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

I've always stressed with prime, recently I've added aida as well. Different stress tests work differently, good to have a mix

Good thing is prime is pretty diabolical for heat, good to test cooling under worst case

gotta agree , baddest stress test s/ware available that does the job. so once you pass this mother , reality is a cool breeze

13 minutes ago, jools said:

gotta agree , baddest stress test s/ware available that does the job. so once you pass this mother , reality is a cool breeze

Now after I have achieved my ideal OC do I switch from voltage "Manual" to "Adaptive"? Cause I know what adaptive does but I don't know how to set offsets and stuff like that

7 hours ago, xovague said:

Now after I have achieved my ideal OC do I switch from voltage "Manual" to "Adaptive"? Cause I know what adaptive does but I don't know how to set offsets and stuff like that

Adaptive will up the voltage to give you more overhead where needed and is generally fine provided you aren't near your maximum safe voltages (since some motherboards will not stop there and will keep giving voltage even if it would fry the CPU).

And, personally I'm a fan of 3DMark's looped stress test for checking overclocks. It might not be the most intense synthetic but it emulates gaming fairly well and also loads the GPU.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM