I hate new cars

emosun

I hate almost everything about new cars.

The "angry face/tiny windows" styling.....

The excessive amounts of computers to do basic tasks......

The proprietary "dealer only" complicated parts that do nothing different from universal parts........

The crappy screens in the middle that look like cheap 90's tft tech........

Dozens of actuators to control things that can be moved with your hand.............
The cold , impersonal , only option black/grey interiors.......
Cold led dash lights , because that's real great for your eyes isn't it? Blue and white led lights in your face just burning that speed into your retina.....

I get that a lot of this stuff is related to safety , I get it. You need not preach about safety. They are still undesirable features to me. I'd sooner buy an old car and just drive in a safe manor vs buying a new car and staring at the screen in the center hoping the extra safety features save me while I drive down the highway browsing netflix movies.

And for someone like me it's no problem to drive something like a 1975 suburban. I just feel bad for people who know nothing about cars going out and buying a brand new proprietary cheaply made money pit.

26 minutes ago, emosun said:

The proprietary "dealer only" complicated parts that do nothing different from universal parts........

Dozens of actuators to control things that can be moved with your hand.............
Cold led dash lights , because that's real great for your eyes isn't it? Blue and white led lights in your face just burning that speed into your retina.....

I get that a lot of this stuff is related to safety , I get it. You need not preach about safety. They are still undesirable features to me. I'd sooner buy an old car and just drive in a safe manor vs buying a new car and staring at the screen in the center hoping the extra safety features save me while I drive down the highway browsing netflix movies.

And for someone like me it's no problem to drive something like a 1975 suburban. I just feel bad for people who know nothing about cars going out and buying a brand new proprietary cheaply made money pit.

Fuel efficiency. Kinda important. Especially because the Government like to keep raising the gas tax. And OPEC likes to bend us over and .......... 

I do agree though. Older cars had a hell of a lot more style. Some where built like tanks. Like the 1992 Buick LeSaber we once owned. Had the best heat. It was comfy for the most part. And snow.... Fuck snow that car would roll through anything. Unlike my 06 Ford Focus. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

This is the thing that annoys me the most with modern cars.

A good part of modern cars come with proprietary infotainment systems from factory. And most of those are not standardized.

Not a long time ago even higher end cars (W140 Merc', for an example) would have 1 or 2 din slots on their dashboards, so that not only a factory head unit could be installed, but as well upgraded when needed.

Take a look at the dash of 2008 Megane, standard double-din slots, i can upgrade the standard head unit whenever i want.

IMG_20170319_124759285.thumb.jpg.7b74cf2c331783094a5ed0a79d19300c.jpg

Now take a look at the dashboard from a current model Megane:

renault-megane-dashboard.jpg.2cafd7d7c16742ad911e5dbdf83ca3bd.jpg

It has this weird, proprietary portrait screen...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

3 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

This is the thing that annoys me the most with modern cars.

A good part of modern cars come with proprietary infotainment systems from factory. And most of those are not standardized.

Not a long time ago even higher end cars (W140 Merc', for an example) would have 1 or 2 din slots on their dashboards, so that not only a factory head unit could be installed, but as well upgraded when needed.

Take a look at the dash of 2008 Megane, standard double-din slots, i can upgrade the standard head unit whenever i want.

Now take a look at the dashboard from a current model Megane:

It has this weird, proprietary portrait screen...

both of those are ugly and the second one really is a bad example..

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

And snow.... Fuck snow that car would roll through anything

I have a fwd older car that also can just murder the snow. I don't shovel my driveway in winter and it's like 100ft long and uphill and off road , and that old fwd car just drives up it like a champs thanks to high ground clearance and decent high profile tires , not to mention a "who cares" approach to traction control lol. 

Just now, Tsuki said:

both of those are ugly and the second one really is a bad example..

Yes, but the idea still holds up, if i ever want to put one of these on my dashboard, i totally can, but if the owner of the second car ever wants to upgrade his infotainment system, he won't be able to do it without hacking up the dash.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

My 2002 Mountaineer is awesome... except for the stupid computers. My theft system went wack and it was a $360 fix at the dealer. I don't even need a theft system, since anyone who really wanted my car could just put it in neutral and push it away. Besides, I always keep it locked, and that's enough of a theft deterrent for me. I'd really like either a really new car and lots of money to fix stuff, or a nice old car. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Although I do have to admit the double din system is kinda old now. Much like the 5.25 bay in computers.

It is nice the have a universal system , but i feel like without the need for tapes or cd's a different universal car dash system could be created today.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

My 2002 Mountaineer is awesome... except for the stupid computers. My theft system went wack and it was a $360 fix at the dealer. I don't even need a theft system, since anyone who really wanted my car could just put it in neutral and push it away. Besides, I always keep it locked, and that's enough of a theft deterrent for me. I'd really like either a really new car and lots of money to fix stuff, or a nice old car. 

I can one up you. My 06 Focus, has an issue in the Dash when it comes to the HVAC system. Ive been stuck on defrost for two years. All because some rubber in the system gets tacky as its used and starts sticking like glue. $600 to get it fixed, Dealer only. All because Ford engineers didnt do their due diligence when designing the car. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I can one up you. My 06 Focus, has an issue in the Dash when it comes to the HVAC system. Ive been stuck on defrost for two years. All because some rubber in the system gets tacky as its used and starts sticking like glue. $600 to get it fixed, Dealer only. All because Ford engineers didnt do their due diligence when designing the car. 

My problem exactly. I think they should fix the theft system or other electronic system for free if it breaks, since they're the ones who designed it, and they're trying to force you to pay them because they are the only ones with the tech to diagnose/fix it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I see your sticky hvac system and raise you.......

my sisters brand new gmc denali was stuck in limp mode and they were stuck going 20mph on the highway all the way home. When I went to diagnose the problem , it was mearly a loose connector on the mass airflow sensor. all I did was jiggle it some and the truck worked fine.

all that fuss , all that limp mode 20mph crap , just from a loose connector. I can literally unplug the MAF on a 94 explorer and it only trips a check engine light but it will drive fine like that.

Still rambling about the double-din systems, there were some really out of the box ideas with them.

Since i exclusively listen to CDs when i'm driving, the Panasonic CQ-TX5500W head unit always caught my attention.

I'm not even kiding, if i ever find one within my reach, i'll go out of my way to buy it, its just so odd...

Just now, emosun said:

I see your sticky hvac system and raise you.......

my sisters brand new gmc denali was stuck in limp mode and they were stuck going 20mph on the highway all the way home. When I went to diagnose the problem , it was mearly a loose connector on the mass airflow sensor. all I did was jiggle it some and the truck worked fine.

all that fuss , all that limp mode 20mph crap , just from a loose connector. I can literally unplug the MAF on a 94 explorer and it only trips a check engine light but it will drive fine like that.

Reminds me that scene from Jaws. Ill drink to your leg if your will drink to my leg. LOL. 

2 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

Hate on

oh god that's so cringe

just in case you want your spoiler to disappear , for some reason. lol

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

oh god that's so cringe

just in case you want your spoiler to disappear , for some reason. lol

Really this is what people consider cringe? It disappears because it isn't functional all the time and just creates drag. 

System: Thinkpad T460

1 minute ago, Speedyv said:

It disappears because it isn't functional all the time

they should make the headlights disappear because those aren't functional all the time and create drag

Oh wait that's right , they stopped doing that because in the winter they would freeze in the down position, and they kept breaking lol

8059fc2a696c22c96e4b09847a9ff054.gif

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

they should make the headlights disappear because those aren't functional all the time and create drag

Oh wait that's right , they stopped doing that because in the winter they would freeze in the down position, and they kept breaking lol

But fixed headlights can't do this, can they? (jk)

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

8059fc2a696c22c96e4b09847a9ff054.gif

Pop up headlights were mostly done for aesthetic purposes and the aerodynamic gains were minimal. Companies got rid of them because of changes in safety regulations. 

But those were used since the 70's and even before then.... So how old do you want your car to be?

j6t0xjd-55327df92247e.gif

System: Thinkpad T460

Worst thing is being in front of someone with really aggressively bright LED headlights.

Having them a bit brighter so the person driving can see better at night is fine, but the surface-of-the-sun-level illumination I've seen on some modern cars is dangerous.

I spell my name without an H!

Esse Quam Videri - Go Blue Devils

i just hate the new cars with an overdone power steering and  with peddles that have like a inch of dead zone . Makes you feel like your steering wheel is not connected to the wheels, like my parents Honda civic typeR

lives on

BAKABT

I agree, as much as I like tech, newer cars are just a bit much.

Still love the C7 Corvette though.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, jmart604 said:

Worst thing is being in front of someone with really aggressively bright LED headlights.

Having them a bit brighter so the person driving can see better at night is fine, but the surface-of-the-sun-level illumination I've seen on some modern cars is dangerous.

Hey whats wrong with the light bar on my landcruiser? I've hit 3 too fucking many kangaroos this year to have not fixed the shitty lights :P

What you mean is arseholes who don't dip their headlights, or use fucking spot lights in suburbia

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

5 hours ago, emosun said:

Yeah car styling has really gone down hill, partly safety, partly because of the current obsession with SUVs and non-SUVs aping their styling. 

The computer thing, I guess several smaller ones are easier to package into cars than one big one?

Complicated parts are a result of having more complicated cars, flip side we get better efficiency and more performance. Though once a car reaches a certain age breakers can be a great source of parts, and community knowledge can make modern cars surprisingly home mechanic friendly. Being able to plug a laptop/phone into your car and read the codes is a big advantage over older cars.

Crappy screens, some of the German stuff is ok, but otherwise yep they are rubbish. And touchscreens in car are just a stupid, stupid idea.

Electric everything, they are just giving customers what they want. If sir desires a more back to basic experience might I suggest a Lotus Elise or Alfa 4C?

Only black/grey interior options, you need to look at different cars.

White/blue dash illumination, yeah car manufactures need to get on board with RGB.

1 hour ago, BirdyTheMighty said:

i just hate the new cars with an overdone power steering and  with peddles that have like a inch of dead zone . Makes you feel like your steering wheel is not connected to the wheels, like my parents Honda civic typeR

The super light, no feel at all, steering is the worse thing about modern cars. It's like the automotive equivalent of a limp handshake. The pedals I've noticed the opposite. Brakes super sensitive, all the modulation is in the first few cms of travel with no additional braking force if you push the pedal as far as you can. Throttle, has a delay for emission testing, then a non-linear pedal response with the top of the travel being super sensitive and little difference between 75% and full throttle.