Should I eat?

IsaacThePooper
46 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

What you said is actually untrue, both of those things.

The metabolism kickstarting has long been disproven, that's just not true. At all... well it is, but on such a microscopic effect that it doesn't matter in the least.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374835/  (that study in fact, contradicts your belief a little, fewer, bigger meals are better, though one needs many studies to actually draw a decent conclusion)

And BMI is actually good for determining the overfat-ness of the general populace. Not bullshit at all.

But, believe what you want, I am not here to convince people who don't want to learn or are stuck in beliefs.(not saying you  are but 99% of times people dismiss research)

Bmi is good to use as a general rule. However if your short and over weight according to it but are all muscle then your not over weight. People look at what your bmi is and if your over and your mostly flab get on the tread mill! 

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 hour ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I'm 15 and I do power lifting at my school.

I can bench 205lbs...

Try using bathroom scales with built in bioelectrical impedance. BMI is just unreliable for weight management since there are people 10-20 pounds overweight not because of fat but muscle. Should we call those people obese? Probably not. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Try using bathroom scales with built in bioelectrical impedance. 

To my knowledge those are massively inaccurate, best bet is skillful measurement by calipers or bod-pod. (but that's expensive)

1 minute ago, coolkingler1 said:

To my knowledge those are massively inaccurate, best bet is skillful measurement by calipers or bod-pod. (but that's expensive)

Well you can just go try pinching your abdomen and measure it with a ruler, if it's an inch or less the you're good to go. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Um, I'm 6'4" and 220lbs... Am I fat?

Im 5'11" and 260lbs. Im fat. You might be around where your suppose to be. Honestly if your hungry, but you want to watch your weight, eat something healthy. Also, if you want to loose weight, dont starve yourself. Just burn more calories then you take in. Do a little thing called exercise, which I need to do according to my doctor. 

Better yet, go see a doctor, and ask a medical professional if your worried about your health. They would know better on where you need to be. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, IsaacThePooper said:

but i'm faaat

fasting won't help, see a doctor.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Those looking to lose weight... should look at this article

http://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/

It's long, but it's worth it as it tells you the real stuff, unlike many "diets" out there, there's no possible way to lose a large amount of weight quickly, it's a slow process, just like how it was a slow process to gain that weight in the first place. You didn't go from 200 to 300 overnight, don't expect to revert that lose it all quickly.

In a nutshell, cut down your calorie intake a bit, don't start a diet based around stuff you dislike, don't fast and most of all, eat less junk/processed food because your body uses less calories to digest those, thus making you fatter.

If you get hungry between meals, just eat something rich in fiber to cut down your hunger, as it expand in your stomach giving you that "I'm full" feel. Also proteins.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

fasting won't help, see a doctor.

While it is the least recommended method of all, it actually will:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25540982

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3833266/

It will help, reason being you can't magically run on nothing, your fatcells (adipocytes) will be used.

Now, is it the recommended method? No. Hard to maintain and doesn't teach the discipline of a healthy diet, but some people can do it, then hop on a healthy diet afterwards. I have done several fasts of 24 hours and one of 30, just because I could, see what it was like.

3 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

While it is the least recommended method of all, it actually will:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25540982

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3833266/

It will help, reason being you can't magically run on nothing, your fatcells (adipocytes) will be used.

Now, is it the recommended method? No. Hard to maintain and doesn't teach the discipline of a healthy diet, but some people can do it, then hop on a healthy diet afterwards. I have done several fasts of 24 hours and one of 30, just because I could, see what it was like.

I wouldn't define losing fat inefficiently at the cost of various other problems as "helping"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I wouldn't define losing fat inefficiently at the cost of various other problems as "helping"

It actually gets more efficient. That 'starvation mode' has been disproven. Massively, Not entirely.  It's actually not inefficient at all but more efficient, at least the first 3 days, major reason being insuline spikes are not there, making fat loss easier. (see research I linked earlier in the thread, actually suggesting that fewer and bigger meals are actually a very tiny amount better than frequent meals)

It does 'help' in losing weight, it really does, if you do it long enough you might even induce https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagy

Have a look at the keto community on Reddit: r/keto.

I've been chronically overweight for most of my 45 years and a ketogenic diet, combined with intermittent fasting and a decent caloric deficit, has made all the difference. For the first time in my life, I feel that this is a sustainable and healthy lifestyle. Seven months in and down 76 lbs.

Caloric deficit because of the obvious calories in, calories out.

Ketogenic diet where I consume <= 20g net carbohydrates/day. Sounds insane, totally doable. I eat all the delicious things. I might feel a bit empty, but I never feel hangry. No carb crashes. No hypoglycemia. And some ketones get you high, so there's that.

Intermittent fasting for 20/4 per day, where I don't eat from, say, 6pm at night to around 2pm the next day. Lots of black coffee and water and herbal tea.

Of course, YMMV. But by gob it's working for me.

i fasted for ten days when i was in hospital. i wasnt fat, i wasnt skinny, i was pretty athletic when i went in. i couldnt eat just because i was in shock, on drugs, and just had no appetite; all i could put down was a small pot of yogurt. When I got out my muscles were soft and my legs were super skinny. Fasting is really bad for you. You dont loose fat you just loose strength.

If you want a six pack you need to do two hours of cardio every day and just eat meat and salad.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 12/08/2017 at 1:21 PM, MadyTehWolfie said:

Bmi is good to use as a general rule

BMI is very old and not scientific. Like a lot of things in fitness it is a tool for articulating/communicating an idea. At the time the BMI was conceived europeans were on average a lot shorter and lighter than they are now, and it really does only apply to europeans from that time period. Everyone I have talked to that is 6ft or taller is classed under the BMI as being obese or overweight when they are not.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

18 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i fasted for ten days when i was in hospital. i wasnt fat, i wasnt skinny, i was pretty athletic when i went in. i couldnt eat just because i was in shock, on drugs, and just had no appetite; all i could put down was a small pot of yogurt. When I got out my muscles were soft and my legs were super skinny. Fasting is really bad for you. You dont loose fat you just loose strength.

If you want a six pack you need to do two hours of cardio every day and just eat meat and salad.

So you didn't plan to fast, your fasting was a side effect of an incident traumatic enough to land you in the hospital for at least ten days and left you without appetite.

Check out Thomas DeLauer here, the dude is ripped and not completely full of shit:

On 8/11/2017 at 7:04 PM, IsaacThePooper said:

I'm eating eggs and celery so...

Try going vegan for a while

On 8/12/2017 at 9:21 AM, IsaacThePooper said:

Um, I'm 6'4" and 220lbs... Am I fat?

I had to translate freedom units to standard (metric) ones. While I was training boxing, I was around the same mass with the same height. I am 90ish kg now with higher amount of fat around my waist. So, depends. No big belly - no fat. You are too young to worry that much about it.

The rule of life is that if you're hungry, eat something. There is never a good reason to starve yourself ever.

-KuJoe

Fasting is not the way to go about losing weight. Start doing lots of exercise. Building muscle takes a lot of energy and when you finally do lose the weight you'll have something pleasant to look at. You'll also have a reason to keep going. 

Once you get hooked on those exercise endorphins you'll struggle to stop

That's an F in the profile pic

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, IsaacThePooper said:

but i'm faaat

Fasting will make you more fat, unfortunately. Starving yourself kicks in your bodies survival systems, and it instantly converts any excess food into fat to keep you alive, since it doesn't know you're right next to a fridge and can go eat something if you're about to die from hunger. So skipping meal actually makes your body creat more fat to help keep you alive. 

Also, I doubt you're actually fat. I feel a bit chubby at times, but I'm not really, I just have a bit or extra weight around the belly and handles, a large appetite, and an aversion to excercise. Though I love bicycling and hiking and stuff. So I'd say to eat a good portion (ask your mum or dad, they'll know what you actually need for your age/size/activity level), try and skip seconds (I fail 125% of the time on that though...), and find something active you enjoy, even if it's just walking around the park or swimming or whatever. If you have a puppet or other pet, take it outside and have a blast playing with it (puppies in particular are hilariously devoted to catching and holding on to anything attractive you wave around them). Also, know you don't have to be supermodel fit to not be fat. A lot of people who get called fat are just soft, not necessarily overweight. If you're healthy and can do what you love, then you're good to go. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

32 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Fasting will make you more fat, unfortunately. Starving yourself kicks in your bodies survival systems, and it instantly converts any excess food into fat to keep you alive, since it doesn't know you're right next to a fridge and can go eat something if you're about to die from hunger. So skipping meal actually makes your body creat more fat to help keep you alive. 

Not to be a douche but this is 99% and blatantly untrue, see my earlier posts in the thread. What you said is myth. 

if you want to lose weight, you can starve yourself but only by eating less. As long as you eat some proteins and veges and staying away from heavy calorie foods you will lose weight. You must eat and drink still.

You can quell hungry with a fruit mix if you make it yourself as off the shelf fruit mixes have sugar and other things in them that increase calories.

5 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Not to be a douche but this is 99% and blatantly untrue, see my earlier posts in the thread. What you said is myth. 

I don't think so... my parents have told me that and backed it up, and they both have heavily researched health stuff. Like a lot. And the point still stands that starving yourself isn't good.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I don't think so... my parents have told me that and backed it up, and they both have heavily researched health stuff. Like a lot. And the point still stands that starving yourself isn't good.

I did as well, in fact it actually leans towards the other side, it has health benefits. 

Do your parents have research to link/show etc?  

1 hour ago, coolkingler1 said:

I did as well, in fact it actually leans towards the other side, it has health benefits. 

Do your parents have research to link/show etc?  

They didn't show me the research, but I didn't ask for it. Researching all this stuff is super boring, so I'll leave that to people interested in it, and if they're a source I trust implicitly (for me, my parents) then I'll take their word for it. Unless it's tech or something, then I'll do a bit of my own research since that's my field of expertise. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

They didn't show me the research, but I didn't ask for it. Researching all this stuff is super boring, so I'll leave that to people interested in it, and if they're a source I trust implicitly (for me, my parents) then I'll take their word for it. Unless it's tech or something, then I'll do a bit of my own research since that's my field of expertise. 

I advise you to take knowledge from multiple sources, otherwise your information becomes biased, stale, outdated and rigid. 

But I would gladly discuss it with them if that would ever be possible. :P Most of the science disagrees with the bias against fasting.