Should I eat?

IsaacThePooper
19 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I've been "fasting" for 3 days and I'm really hungry...

Unless ordered by moral code or a doctor, stuff thyself.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

You should definitely hydrate yourself while giving yourself some electrolytes. 

Your metabolism will slow down from fasting for so long to conserve energy, then once you go back to eating unhealthy, it'll make you gain weight. Gain some muscle if you want to increase your metabolism and eat a consistent 6 portion meal throughout the day.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

This is not how you lose weight, this is how you induce ketosis. Losing weight is a combination of a healthy diet and exercise. 

To be fair, he does lose weight. But it's not the most ..... sustainable or discipline-teaching way, at all.

2 minutes ago, Kamina said:

You should definitely hydrate yourself while giving yourself some electrolytes. 

Your metabolism will slow down from fasting for so long to conserve energy, then once you go back to eating unhealthy, it'll make you gain weight.

Incorrect, 'starvation mode' has been largely disproven, about a 7% reduction in metabolism after 3 days. Obviously picks up again after a day of eating normally.

3 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Incorrect, 'starvation mode' has been largely disproven, about a 7% reduction in metabolism after 3 days.

I starved myself for a week because I had c-diff. Lost 5 lbs and gained it back within a couple of days of binge eating. Went to Denny's as I got out and got myself a thousand calorie breakfast. I take chemotherapy so maybe that has something to do with it. Just anecdotal so don't hate on me.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

3 minutes ago, Kamina said:

I starved myself for a week because I had c-diff. Lost 5 lbs and gained it back within a couple of days of binge eating. Went to Denny's as I got out and got myself a thousand calorie breakfast. I take chemotherapy so maybe that has something to do with it.

Oh, that's sure to be largely water-weight. :P My hobby and field of interest is biology/biochemistry so I studied this, thoroughly., You did lose weight though then, in theory the kcal you burned at your resting metabolism+ the kcal of any activity, no idea of your specific stats at both times though. In theory you should have lost 3 lbs of fat and a very minor amount of muscle tissue. But... in theory.

3 minutes ago, IsaacThePooper said:

Um, I'm 6'4" and 220lbs... Am I fat?

bmi 27, so yes: http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=6&hi=4&wl=220&us=0&ua=18&ue=0&gl=  not massively overweight, and not in the obese territory however. BMI is not 100% accurate but it's a very good marker for the average person, unless you're a bodybuilder. BMI 25 or lower is what you need to be 'normal' in the BMI chart. 

I don't know your age though, I put in 18 years but it's bound to be about the same.

Just now, coolkingler1 said:

bmi 27, so yes: http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=1&hf=6&hi=4&wl=220&us=0&ua=18&ue=0&gl=  not massively overweight, and not in the obese territory however. BMI is not 100% accurate but it's a very good marker for the average person, unless you're a bodybuilder.

I don't know your age though, I put in 18 years but it's bound to be about the same.

I'm 15 and I do power lifting at my school.

I can bench 205lbs...

1 hour ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I'm eating eggs and celery so...

...thats not fasting then...

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, IsaacThePooper said:

I'm 15 and I do power lifting at my school.

I can bench 205lbs...

Hm, that's great. You can give yourself some leeway then, you would need to measure bodyfat % I suppose but that will always be a bit inaccurate.

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

...thats not fasting then...

I just *sigh*

I just stopped fasting then...

read the convo bro

Oh, that's sure to be largely water-weight. :P My hobby and field of interest is biology so I studied this, thoroughly., You did lose weight though then, in theory the kcal you burned at your resting metabolism+ the kcal of any activity, no idea of your specific stats at both times though.

Neat. I'm studying microbiology for my major. Can't wait to learn what you've learned.

I think I might have had some muscle loss (didn't have much to begin with). It's really hard to tell what portion of my body was affected. I was on IV bags all week so I had plenty of fluids. 

1 minute ago, coolkingler1 said:

Hm, that's great. You can give yourself some leeway then, you would need to measure bodyfat % I suppose but that will always be a bit inaccurate.

Yeah, I mean everything except my torso is fine, I don't have like a six pack and I kinda have a beer belly and some man tits.

3 minutes ago, Kamina said:

Neat. I'm studying microbiology for my major. Can't wait to learn what you've learned.

So far? Barely anything, I am planning to study it next year. I primarily am concered in helping to curb myths about sweeteners and other such shitty food-related myths. Everything I do know is self-taught, but am massively interested in it, helped me a lot in my weight loss.(I mean besides the basic kcal in and out concept)

It's good you had plenty of fluids then, 5 lbs seems about right.

So far? Barely anything, I am planning to study it next year. I primarily am concered in helping to curb myths about sweeteners and other such shitty food-related myths.

Ah, I see. Guess we'll both be doing the full extent of our studies around the same time. Just math and physics for now.

Still nice that you've learned quite bit on your own.

4 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

BMI is not 100% accurate but it's a very good marker for the average person, unless you're a bodybuilder. BMI 25 or lower is what you need to be 'normal' in the BMI chart.

BMI is bullshit, its the worst possible way to determine if somebody is overweight.

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

This is not how you lose weight, this is how you induce ketosis. Losing weight is a combination of a healthy diet and exercise. 

exactly! eating smaller portions, slightly more frequently, will kickstart your metabolism causing you to lose more weight.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Kamina said:

Ah, I see. Guess we'll both be doing the full extent of our studies around the same time. Just math and physics for now.

Still nice that you've learned quite bit on your own.

Better to learn things, especially from papers! NCBI has been a godsent.

19 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

BMI is bullshit, its the worst possible way to determine if somebody is overweight.

exactly! eating smaller portions, slightly more frequently, will kickstart your metabolism causing you to lose more weight.

What you said is actually untrue, both of those things.

The metabolism kickstarting has long been disproven, that's just not true. At all... well it is, but on such a microscopic effect that it doesn't matter in the least.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3374835/  (that study in fact, contradicts your belief a little, fewer, bigger meals are better, though one needs many studies to actually draw a decent conclusion)

And BMI is actually good for determining the overfat-ness of the general populace. Not bullshit at all.

But, believe what you want, I am not here to convince people who don't want to learn or are stuck in beliefs.(not saying you  are but 99% of times people dismiss research)

2 hours ago, IsaacThePooper said:

I've been "fasting" for 3 days and I'm really hungry...

2 hours ago, IsaacThePooper said:

but i'm faaat

Seek help bud doing this on a forum for attention only makes you look like a attention seeker.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.