*ENTRIES CLOSED* *WINNERS UPDATED* Build a New Gaming Rig with Linus Tech Tips and ASUS ROG - ROG Rig Reboot

CPotter

#ROGRigReboot

2 takes. Done. 

Good luck everyone!

6 minutes ago, Creeper_Killer12 said:

To me crappy pc is a pc that can barely run games or internet

It's all subjective.If you are used to bottom-of-the-barrel gaming, even a small upgrade will seem quite significant to you. When you have one nice component or capability, like a high resolution or high refresh rate monitor, but nothing capable of running optimally on it, and you only get little tastes here and there of the finer things, the upgrades needed to remain comfortable get more and more expensive and outlandish. My only monitors are an old 5:4 1280x1024 19" LCD or a 60" TV that does 2160p@60Hz or 1080p@120Hz. Sounds cool, except my hardware isn't good enough to run anything on 4K past 24~30 FPS, and I can only hit 120Hz at 1080p if I use sub-optimal settings, and the fast refresh rate is wasted during competitive games like CS:GO because the response time of a television is well over 48ms. I won't be able to afford a nice monitor or even a desk to put it on for quite some time, and then still I need the hardware to run it. Other people may have worse hardware specs than me, for sure, but if you don't actually know what you're missing, is your PC really as comparatively crappy from a matter of perspective?

Arshon, its a guy posted a few posts up that got caught cheating. He claims in his submission vid that he has some crappy PC but he made the mistake of posting to his YouTube channel that shows a completely different setup. Sad part is he's probably not the only one, just the first one to get caught.

Just now, raccoontwos said:

It's all subjective.If you are used to bottom-of-the-barrel gaming, even a small upgrade will seem quite significant to you. When you have one nice component or capability, like a high resolution or high refresh rate monitor, but nothing capable of running optimally on it, and you only get little tastes here and there of the finer things, the upgrades needed to remain comfortable get more and more expensive and outlandish. My only monitors are an old 5:4 1280x1024 19" LCD or a 60" TV that does 2160p@60Hz or 1080p@120Hz. Sounds cool, except my hardware isn't good enough to run anything on 4K past 24~30 FPS, and I can only hit 120Hz at 1080p if I use sub-optimal settings, and the fast refresh rate is wasted during competitive games like CS:GO because the response time of a television is well over 48ms. I won't be able to afford a nice monitor or even a desk to put it on for quite some time, and then still I need the hardware to run it. Other people may have worse hardware specs than me, for sure, but if you don't actually know what you're missing, is your PC really as comparatively crappy from a matter of perspective?

the whole thing about crappy pcs is that my idea of "Crappy my be different then yours.

17 minutes ago, Creeper_Killer12 said:

Yeah I can't go on the internet I had to do all of it from my phone

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

Just now, ScrappyZeDog said:

Yeah I can't go on the internet I had to do all of it from my phone

Or play many games

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

21 minutes ago, Creeper_Killer12 said:

for me, crappy pc does mean a really old processor and without a GPU, and FPS drops from games like Quake.

Just now, Aruku said:

for me, crappy pc does mean a really old processor and without a GPU, and FPS drops from games like Quake.

My point of how the definition of "Crappy" varies from person to person

4 minutes ago, Creeper_Killer12 said:

My point of how the definition of "Crappy" varies from person to person

Pretty much. Mine is not crappy from a specs stand point but its crappy in that if I stress it too much it crashes.

Hey fam, here's my attempt at an entry to this giveaway. After making the vid, I wanted to include some benchmarks of my laptop but I could not get 3dmark06 to download properly. I really tried to get it to work but I guess that's a bad laptop for ya ??

The only benchmark I can give is that I installed Minecraft on it about a year ago. On the lowest possible settings and fullscreen, I was getting about 2 fps. With Minecraft on a small window, I was getting like 4 fps ?

The laptop specs are an Intel Atom N270 single core and 1gb of RAM (probably ddr2) and an old 250gb hdd. 

I would assume that you can all imagine how the ps4 performs. If not, specs are a custom AMD Jaguar 8 core cpu, Radeon graphics, with 8gb GDDR5 memory. It has a 500gb hdd and a 2tb external hdd. 

#ROGRigReboot

2 minutes ago, NavyGuy2007 said:

Pretty much. Mine is not crappy from a specs stand point but its crappy in that if I stress it too much it crashes.

So then every computer qualifies as a crappy computer.

So you may as well not even use the word "crappy" then because you are unable to make it mean something useful.

Subjective terms require an ability to use some judgment in order to be useful.

Just now, JonDoh said:

So you may as well not even use the word "crappy" then because you are unable to make it mean something useful.

It's like somebody saying that wearing socks and sandals is not normal, but to others it is entirely normal.

3 minutes ago, JonDoh said:

I think your definition of "subjective" needs some review. What's crappy to one person may not be crappy to another. As an example, some of the rigs posted here, they may be crappy from a modern gaming standpoint but if your into retro gaming they could be awesome.

3 minutes ago, NavyGuy2007 said:

I think your definition of "subjective" needs some review. What's crappy to one person may not be crappy to another. As an example, some of the rigs posted here, they may be crappy from a modern gaming standpoint but if your into retro gaming they could be awesome.

To clarify, the term "crappy" is the subjective term I was referring to. Without offering some objective criteria to measure the "crappyness" of a computer the term "crappy" will remain subjective.

1 minute ago, sceypt said:

Damn the posts jumped up a ton in the past 24 hours, quality takes time I guess. lul

I know, that's why I've been connected since yesterday by reviewing each of the posts

On 8/11/2017 at 2:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

Winners will be selected based on:

- Hardware specifications

- Games (That you can or cannot run)

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st at 6pm - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations for the winners to come out to Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

Follow ASUS ROG on social media for updates!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rog.n.america

Twitter: twitter.com/ASUSUSA

Instagram: instagram.com/rog_na/

Check out the ASUS ROG store on Facebook: http://geni.us/asusrogfacebookstore

First time ive ever done anything like this so fingers crossed.

#ROGRigReboot

Hi this is my entry for the #ROGrigreebot. Sorry if my English is bad, I live in Mexico and I hadn't talked English in a long time. :)

I didn't include this in the video, Google chrome takes over a minute to open :/

Sorry if the video is late, I had stuff to do over these weeks.

If I win I will practice my English more.

1 minute ago, MildSauce said:

First time ive ever done anything like this so fingers crossed.

You have a i5 7400 and you need a reboot? At least you would have put effort in editing. I would not have done anything because all I need is a decent GPU.

9 minutes ago, sceypt said:

Damn the posts jumped up a ton in the past 24 hours, quality takes time I guess. lul

Right! Even in just the last couple of days, mine was posted on page 39! LOL