*ENTRIES CLOSED* *WINNERS UPDATED* Build a New Gaming Rig with Linus Tech Tips and ASUS ROG - ROG Rig Reboot

CPotter

I'll be honest, most of these submissions lack any creativity and are just straight up pity stories (not trying to degrade anyone). 

8 minutes ago, AniJan said:

I'll be honest, most of these submissions lack any creativity and are just straight up pity stories (not trying to degrade anyone). 

This contest would be a dream come true for most of us so i get it, what i don't get is  the rampant portrait mode all up in our business

#ROGRigReboot
I am posting this in Pacific Time. (video is buggy, I've never done proper video editing before, I'll edit a fixed version soon)
here is my submission for this contest. Please wish me luck!

fixed new version (MY respects to Taran, only 1 minute of footage was hard enough for me... he sure works hard!)

old buggy version (posted before 12AM)

here are a couple photos.

20170820_021810_001.jpg

20170820_024232 (1).jpg

20170218_163910.jpg

20170218_181848.jpg.5047922cf560bd8389febd43c9030125.jpg

#ROGRigReboot

Hi, I built my first pc recently, leaving my 13-year-old brother with a 10-year-old junker.  We've grown up playing video games (Mario Kart and Smash) on the Wii, so I think a pc would be a nice upgrade for him.  He likes soccer (football) a lot so I would love to see him play FIFA and Rocket League on ASUS RoG.  Unfortunately, the current pc (a Pentium 4, 1 GB of DDR2, and Intel 945g, with 500 GB of HD space) can't even run most benchmarks, but it got a 0.49 CPU rendering score in Cinebench.  He also has a late 2015 11-inch MacBook Air (1.6 GHz i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, and Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536) rented from his school.  However, the computer is heavily restricted, select file types may be downloaded (pictures, videos, docs), no games, only school work is allowed on it, and it is returned at the end of the school year.  As a result, he has a potato with an expensive mouse pad.  Hope I win! xD

Cinebench

Heeeey is this the right place? Anyway this is my entry please consider it (no hard feelings).

Hello, this is my entry for the ROG RigReboot Event!

This is the Compaq Presario SR2150NX, released in 2007. It has trouble doing everyday tasks like browsing the web and writing up homework. The cpu fan is incredibly loud even on idle. It also tends to freeze up from time to time. I'm playing on an old Sony TV because there wasn't any other option. I tried my best with my song/rap video and hopefully this can suffice. 

#ROGRigReboot

Untitled.png

On 2017-08-11 at 2:06 PM, CPotter said:

2017-08-11.png

We're inviting you to send us a 30 - 60-second video tour of your outdated gaming rig, explaining why you should win a free gaming PC upgrade at the Linus Tech Tips office with Linus! Tell us why your rig isn't cutting it and how ASUS ROG can make your dreams come true. 

Winners will be selected based on:

- Hardware specifications

- Games (That you can or cannot run)

- Story

- Creativity

Please link your video within this thread and use #ROGRigReboot in your entry post so we can filter through the applications easier. :D 

Applications for video entries will close on  August 21st - later that week we'll be picking three winners who will be direct messaged here through the forum! From there we'll coordinate flights and accommodations for the winners to come out to Surrey, BC, Canada.

*This giveaway is limited to residents in North America only, ages 18 or older, or younger accompanied by a guardian*

Follow ASUS ROG on social media for updates!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rog.n.america

Twitter: twitter.com/ASUSUSA

Instagram: instagram.com/rog_na/

Check out the ASUS ROG store on Facebook: http://geni.us/asusrogfacebookstore

#ROGRigReboot

https://youtu.be/m158chfRxqE

Extra Information:

2012 Mid Macbook Retina

2.3GHZ Core i7
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

8GB 1600MHZ

Finally finished my video! :D

Notes:

Yes, this really is my daily driver, and yes, it really is made from literal trash. To those thinking of doing the same, I would first advise against it, then suggest you look at the areas around dumpsters at schools and offices. What you find won't be good, and it will probably be broken, but enough broken computers can make a working one.

And yes, I went over time. It took a lot to get it as short as it is. I'm deeply sorry and hope you'll forgive my brief malfeasance. the vid's also a bit of a meme

Specs:

• CPU - E7500 (2C/2T, 2.93GHz, Socket 775 I think)
  • Mobo - A Frankenstein of an Optiplex board (replaced some caps)
  • GPU - ASUS R9 270 2GB (lent by a friend)

That's mostly it. The rest of the components like the fans and heatsink I got from cracking open other discarded systems.

For those wondering why I don't just use the power supply I bought: Dell uses a proprietary pinout scheme for their SFF boards. I could have cannibalized a dead power supply to modify the one I bought to work with the board, but that smelled very strongly of electrical failure followed by death.

Benchmarks:

CPU scores around the 130 mark in CB r15. Difficult to test games when many of them refuse to run without four logical threads, but generally assume a butter-smooth 10-20 FPS for most AAA titles (or +10 FPS for some indies). With this I end up only really playing web games (who else here's a fan of Sonny?)

I've been following the channel since I started more seriously messing around with hardware (4 years ago? 5? NCIX Linus' hair was moist). Scrapyard Wars has been one of the motivators behind doing this (that, and not really having alternatives). I would looove to chat with you guys if I had the chance. Probably people on here more deserving than me, so I'll understand if I'm passed on. :')

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Here is my #ROGRigReboot entry, enjoy!

Linus has been on the carpet under my desk for almost 4 years now. As you can imagine, it’s a little dusty down there….

Hardware:
Case - Original Dell Studio XPS
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
GPU - Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB
RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333
Storage - 120GB SSD 450 r/w & 1TB Disk Drive
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

Prehiprials:
Walmart Speakers 
OG Dell Mouse and Keyboard 
OG Dell 1366x768@60Hz 18.5" Monitor

Linus’ life story, if you’re interested. Back in 2013, I ran the helpdesk at the local OfficeMax. One day a wealthy elderly lady brought her PC in with a failed hard drive. When I quoted her prices for a new drive and an OS install, she decided that since her computer was already 3 years old she would just buy a newer one on the Dell website. She asked if we could recycle her old computer for her, so I told her I would give her $80 if I could take it home instead… She took the money and it has been mine ever since. I named it Linus, threw in an R9 and an SSD, and have had steadily declining performance ever since (but hey, for the price I can't complain).

When he was brand new, Linus was awesome, but 7 years is too long for ANY computer to keep running. I could really use a Rig Reboot!

MY ENTRY FOR THE #ROGRigReboot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://youtu.be/9uN0BhHaUtM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SETUP:

Display: (1) HP Pavilion 23xi (23 inch, IPS, 7 ms response, 60HZ)

Mouse: HP MODGUO (Optical, stock HP mouse)

Keyboard: HP KB38211 (stock HP Keyboard)

System: HP PAVILION P7-1490.  You see, I'm an HP fanboy  B| (because I'm broke af)

CPU: AMD A8-5500 APU @3.5 ghz 
GPU: Radeon HD 7560D HD integrated graphics
RAM: 8 GB DDR3-1600 mhz (1X8)
MoBo: MSI MS-7778 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD

No SSD >:'v (boot times over 9000)
PSU: HP 300w

This piece of trash has actually served me quite well since I bought it at Best Buy in 2013. I spent $996 dollars on this desktop (including a copy of Microsoft Office Applications and an antivirus.) Back then, I didn't know a thing about computers, so I didn't know that I was wasting my money on a piece of trash that would barely run Minecraft and wouldn't run more intensive games. But now, things have changed. Thanks to the opportunity that ASUS and Linus Tech Tips, we potato PC users have the chance of actually winning a bomb PC if we make a cool one minute video showcasing how trash is our setup. 

Thank you ASUS and LMG for extending such an outstanding opportunity to all of us. Good luck to everyone participating.

While my pc does need an upgrade from the GTX 760 graphics card I can at least run all the games I'd like to, just not at high settings. This entry is for upgrading my girlfriend's computer which was built by me on the cheap years ago. The video was made by the two of us.

PC Specs:

Dell Precision 390 Upgraded

4GB DDR2 667MHZ

C2D E6600 2.4GHZ

ZOTAC GTS 250 1GB GDDR3

3x 7200rpm HDD (80GB, 320GB, 120GB)

1x 5400rpm HDD (1TB)

375W Dell Power Supply

1440x900 I-Inc Monitor

#ROGRigReboot

Filmed entirely with my Galaxy S6 because I don't have another camera.

Specs and benchmarks are in the video! TV was a black-friday floor-model deal!

Originally ran over by a few seconds so I went back and sped everything up.

(sorry for quiet and odd audio... "oddio") Original video is normal speed (8 seconds longer) and can be found >>>HERE<<<

I've never made a video before so hopefully someone at LTT enjoys it even if it doesn't win.

(be sure to watch in 1080p60!)

Also, please post more Linus Cat Tips! :3

#ROGRigReboot

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ipAhjDQCvII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am not sure how to make the video show up in the comment, so here is the link if it fails:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ipAhjDQCvII

Specifications:

Dell XPS 710

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2C/2T at 2.13 GHz

4GiB DDR2 667MHz

EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra 768 MB VRAM

Dell Motherboard with NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Chipset

Ageia PhysX Processor

Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi

Logitech G5 Mouse

Zboard Merc Keyboard

I enjoyed the challenge of taking a look at my old machine and making a video about it.

Best of luck to whomever the winner may be.

Edited by SpradTech
Trying to make embed work

Hello my name is Marshall and here is my #ROGRigReboot entry!

(Went over the time a bit, sorry about that.)

I've been a film enthusiast for longer then I can remember, but now that I'm starting to do it professionally I've been finding my less then new PC is really catching up to me. Editing has become a dreaded task due to my, um, lets say less then quick PC. I've had my sights on 4k editing PC for a while now and I finally figured enough was enough.

Being a long time LTT fan (you'll just have to take my word for it) this contest couldn't have come a better time! I had a spare smoke machine on rent and a bit of time to kill so I said "Why not?"

The video follows the character Joe from C.R.A.P. PCs .com as he tries to "sell" my current setup. The video is 100% sarcastic (my apologies in advance.)

Specs:
i5-3470 @ 3.20 GHZ
4 GB of DDR3
Good ol' Intel HD Graphics 2500
465 GB HDD 

I can't say I have much of a story to share, I've pretty much covered everything there is to say. I'm not trying to guilt trip anyone. I know there are FAR worse computers then mine out there. I will always edit video regardless of what happens. I'm just a guy who would like to improve his editing speed and enjoyment that his current computer lacks. 

Thank you Linus and Asus for putting together this great contest and I wish everyone the best of luck.
Cheers!

58 minutes ago, MarcVez said:

yeah but a few of those = a new gtx 1050. then again, those steam sales can get pretty crazy haha

Very true! The last steam sale last month was insanely good! I was very jealous of those who could play them lol 

#ROGRigReboot

Hardware (laptop lenovo 520w, it's about 6 years old):

CPU - i7-2720QM 2.20 GHz.

GPU - quadro 2000m (it's crap as you can see in the video).

Storge - 475gb (it supposed to be 500!?) ssd.

Ram - 16gb.

Windows 10.

This video contains all the 4 elements:

- Hardware specifications (^ up here ^)

- Games

- Story

- Creativity

60 sec version:

Original version (without timelapse, 72 sec):

Full Story

I played Minecraft for 7 years (since it was born) …
Year ago, I started to discover all the gaming stuff & Linus Tech Tips & Techquickie...
I liked this “gaming” thing, I started to buy gaming products!
About a month ago Minecraft become extremely boring, so I bought a new shiny game, Overwatch (I want to buy few more) …
unfortunately, you can clearly see the results in the video, 7 fps;
that's the result of a 6 year old, non gaming laptop.
After it happened I set gaming PC as my goal, it’s a big challenge…
I'm stuck at a point where I have a little bit of money for a low-end GPU that can still run games but laptops are not upgradable so it doesn’t matter.  New gaming PC cost tons of money...

Thanks to ROG & Linus for this awesome giveaway, you are totally going to make 3 people, that can’t afford gaming PC, extremely happy!
ROG may you make my dreams come true? (short: win this giveaway ;)):
+ meeting my favorite youtuber & his team, building with them a dream computer.
+ my first time building a computer.
+ get fast PC that can smash games.

What else could I ask for?

By the way, i'm living in washington state, it's about 2 hours drive to Linus Tech Tips, airplane not required :)

#ROGRigReboot

^ Just to attract some attention.

Just in case it is needed.  The attached file is a screenshot from my published video entry. It just states and proves that the upload of the video was completed at 11:55 PM on Sunday, August 20, 2017. I was trying to post my comment with the link here, but my internet is not that good. As a result, my internet was getting bottlenecked by the Youtube upload, causing me to post the same link three times (srry lol) and (possibly) being late regarding the deadline. (Hope I don't get disqualified for being like 5-7 min. late. I spent a bunch of time on this thingy, even if it was just only a minute long video. Anyway, i hope I don't get disqualified hahaha (please don't, I really want that upgrade.)

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 12.47.30 AM.png

#ROGRigReboot Please LTT Cribs, I need you to help me ascend to the master race so I can join my friends when Destiny 2 comes out in October. They all abandoned me to play on PC.

6 minutes ago, getmyphoto said:

#ROGRigReboot Please LTT Cribs, I need you to help me ascend to the master race so I can join my friends when Destiny 2 comes out in October. They all abandoned me to play on PC.

[media]

[/media]

I don't think the ps4 it's a rig...

this is not an entry, just some bloopers for those of you that are bored.

I waited a week for rain to film my scene based on the iconic linus video where he talked about Kaby Lake-X

But got nothing so today i had to go to plan B, having my grand father spray me with a garden hose lol.

https://youtu.be/aIhPXphcASw

This is my #ROGRigReboot entry

Edited by dominicskywalker

#ROGRigReboot

I am good boi, i am good at stuffs!