Tagging everyone in a thread

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

I can see why this would be useful, but I can also see two possible outcomes - either people just don't know about it, in which case it's useless, or people end up using it to tag everyone when really not everyone needs to be tagged. For example, say I move a topic, and post in that topic to say that I've moved it - now I will be included in all the tags, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with me. Moreover, say someone uses this feature in the Anime or Car clubs. That would have a considerable impact on performance I think, and would spam lots of people with notifications.

It's not a useless feature, but I don't think it would get enough use for the right reasons. I think it would be better if tags suggested people in the topic first, but alas the devs don't seem too bothered about that either.

Would it be cool if you can for exampe @everyone and it will pop a notification to everyone who replied to the thread.I have seen it to be useful in some occasions where OP would need to tag many people who helped them out with a further problem. 

snip

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

No. I dont want to get spammed by every random new person who needs to know how to plug in their monitor

If the question is so simple there is no need to reply to it, thus you won't get any notification 

1 minute ago, Moress said:

No. I dont want to get spammed by every random new person who needs to know how to plug in their monitor

Then don't reply to those topics :P 

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

1 minute ago, pelark said:

Then don't reply to those topics :P 

yeah misread the op

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Moress said:

yeah misread the op

This is not discord where @everyone gets you notifications regardleas if the channel is muted or not (thiugh can be changed). 

But adding an option to not get notified from @everyone would be cool, not sure how hard is it to implement. 

Mmmm. More like @mention and you get a popup with names that replied in the thread, you click on them and it will just fill everyone names you want for you so you don't have to tag the other people that replied to the thread.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Mmmm. More like @mention and you get a popup with names that replied in the thread, you click on them and it will just fill everyone names you want for you so you don't have to tag the other people that replied to the thread.

Also make sure it has profile pics, I have fish-like memory when it comes to names

Just now, Ricardo56 said:

Also make sure it has profile pics, I have fish-like memory when it comes to names

Haha, same. I know most people by their profile pics immediately and rarely read the names so it often throws me off when someone changes theirs. Also, the reason why I haven't changed my avatar.

Wouldn't that be more like @here?  @everyone would tag the entire site :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@everyonelocatedinthisthreadandthisparticulartopicexceptnamenamenameetc

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Maybe an @thread? Just as a way to get a popup, so you can click on a list of names that are in the thread, so you can tag selectively quickly.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, Aelar_Nailo said:

Maybe an @thread? Just as a way to get a popup, so you can click on a list of names that are in the thread, so you can tag selectively quickly.

We can't even get banned users' names to not show up in the suggest list, so I wouldn't hold out for anything that fancy :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

We can't even get banned users' names to not show up in the suggest list, so I wouldn't hold out for anything that fancy :P

Awww.... Yeah, the devs probably won't spring for that. :(

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

an @ here would probably make my name pop up every time :P

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

No, your name doesn't start with "Here"

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Again it was an example, this is not discord and tagging @everyone to entire LTT site to every thousands of members would just be fun. 

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

@everyonelocatedinthisthreadandthisparticulartopicexceptnamenamenameetc

No one got time for that 

23 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

@everyone tags everyone for you so it's a bonus if you can't remember that my name is spelled with double X

29 minutes ago, WereCat said:

But if I want to tag everyone would I need to do @mention all the time, what if there is 10 people in here? Also then it rises a problem: threads with thousands replies, I am sure not everyone want that so an option to disable that not just globally like I said but per thread individually too. 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

No, your name doesn't start with "Here"

I was mostly making a joke, fortunately @'s dont take into consideration partial names, only the beginnings. Kinda cool to know that I'm only one of two options that comes up when you type @tvw 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

omg now i understand what your name means

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

But if I want to tag everyone would I need to do @mention all the time, what if there is 10 people in here? Also then it rises a problem: threads with thousands replies, I am sure not everyone want that so an option to disable that not just globally like I said but per thread individually too. 

Then add also ALL option to the @mention on the top of the list

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

omg now i understand what your name means

If I had a dollar for every time someone said "T was" or "Twaz" in voice chat, or had someone realize that TV is my initials and not referring to a television xD

(I started the name when I was 13 because I thought the Z made the name cooler. 90% of the time I could use an S instead, but the Z is just part of me now...)

What about an "@page#" with a limit to lets say 5 pages.

You could "@page4" for all users on page 4.

"@page4,6,11" for those 3 pages of users.

"@page1-5" for the full range of users on pages 1 through 5.

The limit to 5 pages (or other number) would limit the potential spam.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

What about an "@page#" with a limit to lets say 5 pages.

You could "@page4" for all users on page 4.

"@page4,6,11" for those 3 pages of users.

"@page1-5" for the full range of users on pages 1 through 5.

The limit to 5 pages (or other number) would limit the potential spam.

I think it looks hard but hey how would I know? 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I think it looks hard but hey how would I know? 

Look at the official Garage topic in the off-topic section. If you were to tag @everyone (which is someones username already btw) or @here, there would be so many people getting spammed. By only tagging people on the most recent pages then you can still get relevent users in the conversation.

And @page5 seems hard? How would you improve a more "filtered" approach to this?

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Look at the official Garage topic in the off-topic section. If you were to tag @everyone (which is someones username already btw) or @here, there would be so many people getting spammed. By only tagging people on the most recent pages then you can still get relevent users in the conversation.

And @page5 seems hard? How would you improve a more "filtered" approach to this?

Page changes, so contents of ine page can be moved to another one (eg mod renoved a post)