Ultra Silent PC upgrade

My aim is to have a really quiet PC for gaming. I've upgraded my PC with a Fractal Nano S case and a Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP CPU cooler instead of the stock junk, but the two included fans for the case result in the PC still being quite loud. To combat this, I got the Noctua NA-SRC10 fan resistors, and this significantly reduced the noise.

Wanting to see how far I can go with this, would it be worth swapping the rear exhaust fan (Fractal GP12) for a Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 120mm fan? It costs about £10/$13USD

The front fan has got some ModuVent covers and dust folters so I'm not too worried about that right now

Also, since the Noctua SRC10s are just resistors, would it be safe to put two of them in series for the rear fan to make it even quieter?

Thanks all

Why not just go full passive? Or an AIO/custom loop with low-rpm 140MM fans (that'd be expensive though).

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

sure but your best bet is to just coat it with sound foam

My life

For reducing fan noise, upgrading the fans is a good start. Look into a fan hub that allows you to undervolt them all for lower rpm, or try using the bios to tune the fan curve. Other than fans, getting some acoustically absorbent material/deadener would help reduce noise. Make sure not to get a material that reflects sound waves as this will amplify within the case itself. 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Why not just go full passive? Or an AIO/custom loop with low-rpm 140MM fans (that'd be expensive though).

That would be a great idea for a possible future upgrade, but right now I'm just looking for small, quick fixes

8 minutes ago, Minbari said:

For reducing fan noise, upgrading the fans is a good start. Look into a fan hub that allows you to undervolt them all for lower rpm, or try using the bios to tune the fan curve. Other than fans, getting some acoustically absorbent material/deadener would help reduce noise. Make sure not to get a material that reflects sound waves as this will amplify within the case itself. 

Thanks, I will get that be quiet fan then. I considered a fan hub, but then went with the fan resistors since they're much cheaper and I don't plan on regularly changing fan speeds.

The sound absorbing material is a good idea, but I already have some ModuVent sound absorber from the case 

1 minute ago, musicjam19 said:

Thanks, I will get that be quiet fan then. I considered a fan hub, but then went with the fan resistors since they're much cheaper and I don't plan on regularly changing fan speeds.

The sound absorbing material is a good idea, but I already have some ModuVent sound absorber from the case 

Take it step by step because it's too easy to get carried away spending money on quietness!

6 minutes ago, musicjam19 said:

i've considered selling the two SW3 140's i have that i use for intake through a rad. they don't produce enough static pressure to cool it through a filter though, so i could be persuaded to let them go...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

17 minutes ago, Minbari said:

Take it step by step because it's too easy to get carried away spending money on quietness!

Waay too easy lol

12 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

i've considered selling the two SW3 140's i have that i use for intake through a rad. they don't produce enough static pressure to cool it through a filter though, so i could be persuaded to let them go...

Unfortunately shipping from the US to the UK is enormous 

On 8/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, musicjam19 said:

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6622/6/tested-71-case-fans-of-140-mm-round-up-big-fans-test-results-the-mostnsilentncasefans

Read this before buying that Bequiet fan!  They are great fans, but there are always other, maybe better, options out there all things considered.  You've got to look at the data unfortunately!

I actually just spent all afternoon deciding between the Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 and the Bequiet Pure Wings 2.  In the end I decided to go with the Bequiet fans as they were not only slightly cheaper but also offer slightly better performance, albeit at a slightly higher noise level.  I did consider the Bequiet Silent Wings 3 fans, but they are twice the price of the Pure Wings 2 fans and aren't really twice as good.  In the end I went with price to performance I guess.