NASA and HP launching HAL to ISS?

WMGroomAK

NASA is working together with Hewlett-Packard Enterprises (HPE) to launch a 1-teraflop computer to the International Space Station (ISS) to study the effects of space on higher power computers as part of their research into future deep space travel.  As it stands the ISS is running on i386 processors and has a lot of support from Ground Control, however, NASA figures the latency from deep space travel will make this current method impractical and those missions will require more powerful computers, potentially with AI, in order to properly maintain the spaceships systems and navigation.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/spacex-is-launching-a-supercomputer-to-the-international-space-station/

One of the critical technologies NASA will need if it really does send humans beyond the Earth-Moon system within the next few decades is more powerful computers capable of operating in the deep space environment. Presently, the main command computers that operate the space station use Intel i386 processors. However, that is fine for the station because all of its critical systems are monitored around the clock by ground-based flight controllers who can work in real time with the crew to fix any problems that arise.

If humans do travel to Mars, they will face increasingly long communications delays—stretching out to more than half an hour—between Earth and their spacecraft. In that situation, the astronauts are likely to become more reliant on more powerful computers and artificial intelligence to make critical course corrections or decisions within seconds or minutes.

A "smart" spacecraft, however, will require a considerably more powerful and robust computer. So NASA and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise (HPE) are taking the first step toward that by launching a "supercomputer" to the International Space Station. It will ride into space as early as Monday aboard SpaceX's next supply mission to the station.

For the year-long experiment, astronauts will install the computer inside a rack in the Destiny module of the space station. It is about the size of two pizza boxes stuck together. And while the device is not exactly a state-of-the-art supercomputer—it has a computing speed of about 1 teraflop—it is the most powerful computer sent into space. Unlike most computers, it has not been hardened for the radiation environment aboard the space station. The goal is to better understand how the space environment will degrade the performance of an off-the-shelf computer.

During the next year, the spaceborne computer will continuously run through a set of computing benchmarks to determine its performance over time. Meanwhile, on the ground, an identical copy of the computer will run in a lab as a control.

Any chance we can get @LinusTech or @Slick to catch a ride on this rocket and provide the first LMG video in SPACE!?  Or even maybe just get a hold of NASA and get a tour of their ground based control?

Official NASA Experiment Page: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2304.html#overview

Experiment Description
Research Overview

• Computer and data intensive applications are run on the Spaceborne Computer systems.
  • The power consumption is monitored and power usage is dynamically tuned during these runs.
  • The effects of radiation on the systems when running performance applications are determined concurrently with detecting/analyzing/adapting to data, quickpath interconnectTM (QPI) internal and FDR external errors.

Description
The research objectives of the Spaceborne Computer include a year-long experiment of operating high performance commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) computer systems on the ISS with its changing radiation climate. During high radiation events, the electrical power consumption and, therefore, the operating speeds of the computer systems are lowered in an attempt to determine if such systems can still operate correctly. Additionally, this is a long duration experiment, studying the practicality of running and managing COTS high performance computer systems in orbit from several months to one year. In summary, the objectives are:  1) run compute and data intensive applications in a changing radiation climate, 2) monitor power consumption and dynamically tune the power consumed, and 3) determine effects of solar radiation on the systems while running. In order to achieve these objectives, Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) proposes a total of four identical high performance COTS computer systems. Two of the systems are installed aboard the ISS in a side-by-side EXPRESS locker within an ISS EXPRESS Rack. These two systems with the required networking are integrated at the HPE facility and turned over to the ISS Cargo Mission Contract (CMC) as required.

Edited by WMGroomAK
Additional Article and info

I could see us having high powered computers orbiting the earth (or even other planets too) and using the advantage of those being already in space to more easily transmit data to missions throughout the solar system (no atmosphere for signals to pass through probably helps a lot if I had to guess)

and then they could all be linked together and all the data could be accessed from any planet or system.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Any chance we can get @LinusTech or @Slick to catch a ride on this rocket and provide the first LMG video in SPACE!?  Or even maybe just get a hold of NASA and get a tour of their ground based control?

THAT.... WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Never knew the majority of monitoring was handled solely from the ground (and I've been to the room where that's done). I assumed there was more self sustaining activity happening on board the station. Very cool to watch this develop.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

8 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Linus:  Can we get on the ISS to do the WAN show from space?

HAL:  I'm afraid I can't let you do that Linus...

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I could see us having high powered computers orbiting the earth (or even other planets too) and using the advantage of those being already in space to more easily transmit data to missions throughout the solar system (no atmosphere for signals to pass through probably helps a lot if I had to guess)

and then they could all be linked together and all the data could be accessed from any planet or system.

Honestly sending data to Earth's surface from planetary distances is probably only marginally easier than transmitting to the surface. This probably helps the ISS do heavy calculations locally instead of having to beam down massive data sets, but I don't see it being particularly useful for other objects in orbit or otherwise.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Computers in Space!

We need Supercomputers in the bottom of the ocean too.

What happened to that Microsoft underwater datacenter project? Did it work?

So for people wondering.... There is not insignificant reason to suspect that newer (read smaller) processing nodes are more susceptible to deep space data/process corruption.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

So for people wondering.... There is not insignificant reason to suspect that newer (read smaller) processing nodes are more susceptible to deep space data/process corruption.

Of course smaller nodes are more susceptible to data corruption: the smaller and more complex a node is, the more likely radiation can cook it or render it unusable, especially because you render more likely quantum tunneling and such when elettrons get "excited " from cosmuc radiation.

11 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

Of course smaller nodes are more susceptible to data corruption: the smaller and more complex a node is, the more likely radiation can cook it or render it unusable, especially because you render more likely quantum tunneling and such when elettrons get "excited " from cosmuc radiation.

Well that's great, now I can't play CS:GO during WW3 -_-

I would have thought they would have advanced to a new node for their processors. i386s seem a bit slow for the biggest space station. I guess most data collected is processed on earth and doesn't influence the station and all course control can be computed by NASA in advanced

That's a big jump, so maybe they should start with a Pentium II and we'll see from there? :)

There's a joke about "no wonder it has worked for so long, it wasn't running Windows 95!".

Space is a very different environment, it'll be interesting to see what they put up there. Granted, at least you really won't need much in the way of heatsinks.

2 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Get a Co-op with Destin from Smarter Everyday on board and you'll have the ingredients for some really epic vids.  I'm actually drooling at the thought.

Problem with high density CPUs is complexity.
Less transistors = less things that can go down beacuse of space radiation, microasteroids, etc.
I'm conviced tho, that even with quadruple backups for any SoC component, modern tech could do better than i386 performance...

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Hmm makes me want to see both an I386 made on 10nm and a modern chip made on a couple hundred nm lithography... 

38 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

Problem with high density CPUs is complexity.
Less transistors = less things that can go down beacuse of space radiation, microasteroids, etc.
I'm conviced tho, that even with quadruple backups for any SoC component, modern tech could do better than i386 performance...

I'm pretty sure an I386 would get rekt by a micro asteroid just as much as a 7700K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I want to know how well that i386 stood up to the wear and tear of Space. ;) 

Apparently very well if it is still running.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

386. The CPU that just keeps on going.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

11 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Hmm makes me want to see both an I386 made on 10nm and a modern chip made on a couple hundred nm lithography... 

I'm pretty sure an I386 would get rekt by a micro asteroid just as much as a 7700K

A modern chip on anything above 28nm would be insanely expensive... cost per transistor continues to fall.

But the i386 made on something like 14nm would actually be interesting.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

12 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

A modern chip on anything above 28nm would be insanely expensive... cost per transistor continues to fall.

But the i386 made on something like 14nm would actually be interesting.

As it is they consume little power (relatively speaking) and don't require any active cooling (even for the AMD 386DX-40), so at 14nm they could probably be powered by the kind of solar cells found in calculators. Though the lack of an FPU might be an issue still since you'd also need to have a 14nm 387 co pro.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus