What phone should I buy?

What phones would people recommend? I currently have a Galaxy S7 but want to upgrade. I use my phone mostly for media consumption (YouTube, Netflix, Spotify) and social media (Twitter and Instagram).

Price isn't really an issue I don't mind saving the extra money if it's worth it. I'd prefer the phone to have micro SD expansion or at least 64gb of storage. A headphone jack is also essential. 

After that I'm open to all suggestions, thanks guys!

iPhone 8 when it comes out, or a 7 Plus if you're impatient. 

EDIT: NVM, you need a headphone jack. Then get an iPhone 6S/6S Plus, or Galaxy S8 Plus. Or Note 8 when it comes out. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

or a 7 Plus if you're impatient. 

He specifically said he NEEDS a 3.5mm JACK

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

Just now, AmbarChakrabarti said:

He specifically said he NEEDS a 3.5mm JACK

Yup, see my edit. IMO, the 7 Plus is still cool though, and just use the adapter if you need a jack. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

What phones would people recommend? I currently have a Galaxy S7 but want to upgrade. I use my phone mostly for media consumption (YouTube, Netflix, Spotify) and social media (Twitter and Instagram).

Price isn't really an issue I don't mind saving the extra money if it's worth it. I'd prefer the phone to have micro SD expansion or at least 64gb of storage. A headphone jack is also essential. 

After that I'm open to all suggestions, thanks guys!

Why not go galaxy S8?

I mean yes, it is Fragile, but it's a great phone.

A 6S would be a downgrade from a Galaxy S7. If price is less of an issue, the RED phone might be out eventually, so maybe look to see if you are interested in that? Otherwise just get an S8 model if you need the upgrade from an S7. 

I would just keep the S7 until the next iteration of phones come out next year.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

Just now, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Why not go galaxy S8?

I mean yes, it is Fragile, but it's a great phone.

I got to hold one, and man, they nailed the shape. Fits in your hand perfectly, and everything about it, screen, camera, housing, etc is all amazing. If I wasn't an Apple self-aware sheep, I'd get one (if my 6 Plus finally gives up the ghost, which it doesn't seem to want to do. Maybe my wallet has made a deal with it so it'll stay alive?).

Main PC 

If you can hold off for let's say the note 8, iPhone 8, or essential ph-1 or the Nokia 8

Keep in mind Nokia is trying to be like Nexus and push software updates frequently on stock. Also includes a headphone jack. As well as the note 8

Why would you change S7?Why do you even need such a powerful phone for basic tasks?

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

if my 6 Plus finally gives up the ghost, which it doesn't seem to want to do. Maybe my wallet has made a deal with it so it'll stay alive?

Eventually, the LCD will start to burn in, the on board memory modules will degrade greatly, and iOS might cause forced obsolescence, then the buttons will stop responding. but before all that, the Lightning Port will give up.

And if all that is evaded,

Some sort of technological advancement will render certain components USELESS, thereby rendering the phone obsolete

PS: All this will happen atleast a few years later

I've actually already had an iPhone 7 plus and Galaxy S8, I didn't like the 7 plus and I gave the s8 to my dad because I felt he deserved a nice phone. 

I was considering the LG G6 or waiting for the v30 to be released, what do people make of LG phones? 

22 minutes ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Eventually, the LCD will start to burn in, the on board memory modules will degrade greatly, and iOS might cause forced obsolescence, then the buttons will stop responding. but before all that, the Lightning Port will give up.

And if all that is evaded,

Some sort of technological advancement will render certain components USELESS, thereby rendering the phone obsolete

PS: All this will happen atleast a few years later

Well, so far it's been dropped an uncountable amount of times, dropped in water a few times, and most recently had me bend a corner back so the screen would sit flush after I accidentally drop-kicked it at the Post Office. and 80% of this is after I got rid of my Otterbox, and most of it is after I got rid of my feather case and moved to a Dbrand skin. It's still alive though, and glass screen protectors have made sure I don't have to replace my display. I think iPhones are a lot tougher than most people think. 

Main PC 

Personally i'd go for the galaxy S8, I got mine two months ago and will probably keep it for the next 5 years. It's incredibly powerful, has a 3.5mm headphone jack, incredible display, surprisingly long battery (at least in my experience) 

Either go for the S8 now or wait for the Note 8, assuming money isn't relevant.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Zenfone 3 Zoom, for a power sipping SD625 and massive 5,000mAh battery. Also shoots very well with dual camera. Oled screen, Nougat rom, 24bit DAC with DTS, dual sim and expandable storage. 

Although I don't see why you would be dissatisfied with an S7 for social media and video/music.

It's not that I'm dissatisfied, as a phone it works fine. I just like to try out lots of different phones and I never really keep them that long, whatever I buy next will be kept until my contract is finished though so I need it to be slightly future proof.