What is 2715X1527?

IAR117

Hi there. I got my 1920x1080 monitor recently and it's been working great. I was going through the settings earlier today and I found 2175x1527 as a resolution. How can this work if my monitor is a 1920x1080 and should I use it? I'm using it right now and I can say that all font looks tiny because of it. It's also available in game though in Just Cause 2 Multiplayer at least, I'm experiencing some issues, though I'm not sure what the technical name of the issue is

What monitor is it?

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

In the nvidia control panel there is a setting for dynamic super resolution, it lets your video card render at a higher resolution internally and then output at the 1080p of your monitor. It is good for games if you can still run them at the resolution but isn't really recommended for just on the desktop. You can choose multiples of the resolution of the monitor and I remember some of them giving some odd resolutions so 2175x1527 may be one of them, but I disabled mine to just show 1440p and 2160p. AMD also has a variant of this known as virtual super resolution although I haven't used this.

44 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

What monitor is it?

Samsung CFG70 27 inch

41 minutes ago, NJHourigan said:

In the nvidia control panel there is a setting for dynamic super resolution, it lets your video card render at a higher resolution internally and then output at the 1080p of your monitor. It is good for games if you can still run them at the resolution but isn't really recommended for just on the desktop. You can choose multiples of the resolution of the monitor and I remember some of them giving some odd resolutions so 2175x1527 may be one of them, but I disabled mine to just show 1440p and 2160p. AMD also has a variant of this known as virtual super resolution although I haven't used this.

So should I just set my resolution to 1920x1080 and then game at 2715x1527? How will I be able to see the higher res if my monitor is 1080p? And also, if the GPU, in this case a 1070, is running at a higher res internally then how many frames will I loose?

That's what I would recommend. You won't see a huge difference in visual quality but there will be some, similar to the improvement brought by anti-aliasing. A 1070 should be able to run games at that resolution pretty well, if not go look at some of the other options in DSR, and try a slightly lower up-res. The amount of fps you will lose will vary per game, some you may not lose any some you may lose alot, it would be easiest to just try it out with fraps or something.

Linus has a pretty old video that covers how to do it before DSR was an actual thing and you had to mess around with other settings to run at higher resolutions, but the video still shows off some of the benefits pretty well.

42 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's DSR at 2.00× scaling factor. It's a form of anti-aliasing. It will cut your framerate in half.

Then it must be 2715 x 1527, not 2175.

Yep. Fixed the typo and have tested it on Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod and the game does not like it, though Sword with Sauce does...

• 11 months later...

So the gist of the resolution is its made for games that have crappy Anti Aliasing, should you use that and the custom resolution?