Windows 10 Pro for Workstation edition

GoodBytes
57 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

It doesn't have to have been activated or reserved during the free upgrade period.  Any Windows 7 or 8/8.1 key will still work to activate Windows 10.  Even though they ended the free upgrade period, the activation servers still accept the older OS keys.

I can't 100% confirm but that's sure what it seems like - we were given an old laptop that I'm reasonably sure had never run anything other than Win 7 (which it came with) but I was able to fresh install 10 no problem.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, peej said:

there's a loophole to upgrade your windows 7/8/8.1 key to windows 10 even now as they still offer a free upgrade for accessibility users as their commitment to support disabled people but they don't actually ask for any proof and all it does is download the updater program that you used to get for your free upgrade anyway it's just a moral choice at that point but personally I don't see the harm.

I've heard of that but it hasn't been necessary so I cant' comment on if it still (or ever) works(/ed)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've heard of that but it hasn't been necessary so I cant' comment on if it still (or ever) works(/ed)

i can tell you that it works ive updated about 600 machines using it :P

I lurk a lot

48 minutes ago, peej said:

there's a loophole to upgrade your windows 7/8/8.1 key to windows 10 even now as they still offer a free upgrade for accessibility users as their commitment to support disabled people but they don't actually ask for any proof and all it does is download the updater program that you used to get for your free upgrade anyway it's just a moral choice at that point but personally I don't see the harm.

edit:heres a link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

46 minutes ago, peej said:

i can tell you that it works ive updated about 600 machines using it :P

The thing is, we update customers machines all the time without using any special upgrade tool.  We install Windows 10, type in their key (not even necessary for Windows 8/8.1 systems, as the key is in the motherboard) and it's activated.  Simple as that.  In worst case scenarios, we may have to call and manually activate over the phone, but that rarely happens.

You literally do not need that utility to do the free upgrade to Windows 10.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I can't 100% confirm but that's sure what it seems like - we were given an old laptop that I'm reasonably sure had never run anything other than Win 7 (which it came with) but I was able to fresh install 10 no problem.

Probably got reserved with the Get Windows 10 thingy.

i would like to remind everyone that finding ways to get Windows 10 for free while not being offered for free (example: you are not a student with a school/department that is MSDNAA/Ignite/Dreamspark Premium registered to get it free, or work place) is considered pirating, and this is not permitted on the forum.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

i would like to remind everyone that finding ways to get Windows 10 for free while not being offered for free (example: you are not a student with a school/department that is MSDNAA/Ignite/Dreamspark Premium registered to get it free, or work place) is considered pirating, and this is not permitted on the forum.

In this instance, there's no piracy involved, since MS themselves have made it possible just by using the 7/8 key.  Whether it's intentional or not is the only debate, but I can't imagine that they just "forgot" to disable that functionality on the activation servers.  I've no doubt that MS knows perfectly well that it's still possible, but leaves it open because they want the numbers of Windows 10 users to go up.

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

In this instance, there's no piracy involved, since MS themselves have made it possible just by using the 7/8 key.  Whether it's intentional or not is the only debate, but I can't imagine that they just "forgot" to disable that functionality on the activation servers.  I've no doubt that MS knows perfectly well that it's still possible, but leaves it open because they want the numbers of Windows 10 users to go up.

If you have authorization from Microsoft, then great! If it worked for you without authorization, keep it for yourself. If there is a document/announcement/something from Microsoft that says that it is free, then I have 0 problem. Until then it is piracy. If you know a way to get authorization, then that is fine to mention the steps to get one here.

If you buy a game outside of Steam, for example, and it needs a product key, and you discover that you put "000-000-000" as one and it works, start sharing that fact is still piracy. There is a flaw, and you are exploiting it to gain the software for free. And this will not be discussed on this forum. The forum located in Canada as well as its company registered there, must follow the Canadian laws, despite what the laws in your country says, if you are outside of Canada.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If there is a document/announcement/something from Microsoft that says that it is free, then I have 0 problem. 

Can't speak to the license key thing but I can speak to the assistive technologies thing:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/accessibility/windows10upgrade

We are not restricting the upgrade offer to specific assistive technologies. If you use assistive technology on Windows, you are eligible for the upgrade offer.

Edit: Also just to be clear the terms and conditions within the upgrade tool are the exact same ones that were used for the normal Windows 10 Free Upgrade tool because it's the same tool. They do not have any restrictions with regards to what qualifies as an assistive technology either. I'm not going to paste them here because they're quite long, but the tool and the terms and conditions are available as a free download.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Edit: Also just to be clear the terms and conditions within the upgrade tool are the exact same ones that were used for the normal Windows 10 Free Upgrade tool because it's the same tool. They do not have any restrictions with regards to what qualifies as an assistive technology either. I'm not going to paste them here because they're quite long, but the tool and the terms and conditions are available as a free download.

Do you have assistive technology? Do you know what it is? Clearly you don't.

It is for people who have a serious disability of some kind, and requires actual expensive equipment which converts visuals into another means or enhance it in some way (beside zooming), or assist them to use the computer. These are tools for serious cases where Windows built-in ones doesn't help. These equipment are not cheap, due to their cost (some needs to be custom made/adjusted even, not to mention very low market share), needs to be extremely reliable, good, and excellent support. And as result, they are FAR FAR behind what version of Windows they support. Some equipment can reach several thousands of dollars. If it specialized software only, prices varies from donation supported (so, free, but you really want to give a donation, they are not mass market products. And open source doesn't help due to the specialization needed and reliability needed) to hundred of dollars. Example: https://store.aisquared.com/collections/zoomtext-software-for-pc/products/zoomtext-fusion (price in US)

This is serious stuff. So I ask, do you have these software/hardware? No? So then using this, is an illegal way to squire Windows.

If a fruit shop puts fruits outside of the store. It is not free unless specified otherwise, you go in and pay.

The offer is for a limited time. Microsoft is working with a bunch of companies making accessibility software and devices to make them Windows 10 compatible, and give an opportunity for those who need it, to have time/funds to get the latest versions of it to get Windows 10. Since Windows 10, Microsoft engage itself to make Windows more accessible. Windows 10 is better adapted to accessibility devices and software, provide more built-in options then in the past, and more to come. With the Fall Creators Updates coming up later this year, Windows 10 will support eye tracking, as an example. More to come.

If you are university/college or will be, seek out the department of student with disabilities. You'll see how no joke this stuff is, and they'll gladly take any penny as donations.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Do you have assistive technology? Do you know what it is? Clearly you don't.

It is for people who have a serious disability of some kind, and requires actual expensive equipment which converts visuals into another means or enhance it in some way (beside zooming), or assist them to use the computer. These are tools for serious cases where Windows built-in ones doesn't help. These equipment are not cheap, due to their cost (some needs to be custom made/adjusted even, not to mention very low market share), needs to be extremely reliable, good, and excellent support. And as result, they are FAR FAR behind what version of Windows they support. Some equipment can reach several thousands of dollars. If it specialized software only, prices varies from donation supported (so, free, but you really want to give a donation, they are not mass market products. And open source doesn't help due to the specialization needed and reliability needed) to hundred of dollars. Example: https://store.aisquared.com/collections/zoomtext-software-for-pc/products/zoomtext-fusion (price in US)

This is serious stuff. So I ask, do you have these software/hardware? No? So then using this, is an illegal way to squire Windows.

If a fruit shop puts fruits outside of the store. It is not free unless specified otherwise, you go in and pay.

You aren't wrong, but that's also not in any way what Microsoft indicates or states to require. While you can definitely argue that accessibility technologies are things like tty devices, switches, etc. thats not what Microsoft indicates it to be, either on the upgrade terms of this page, the terms in the upgrade app itself, or on the blog posts they link to discussing how they're making Assistive technologies better in Windows 10.

Go to the link and click to the blog article. Do they talk about tty devices and switches as examples of assistive technologies? Do they talk about Professional level software like Jaws as an example? No. They talk about High Contrast mode, Windows Narrator, Windows Magnifier, Accessibility setting in Microsoft Edge, and tools to help developers with accessibility compliance...

These may not be the same level of assistive technology is as Jaws or a switch, but they certainly are assistive technologies, and Microsoft makes no efforts in their terms for the upgrade to indicate that they do not qualify.

They do however specifically call out a page discussing these things as ways they're making "assistive technology" better.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you have authorization from Microsoft, then great! If it worked for you without authorization, keep it for yourself. If there is a document/announcement/something from Microsoft that says that it is free, then I have 0 problem. Until then it is piracy. If you know a way to get authorization, then that is fine to mention the steps to get one here.

Nope, no authorization from MS, just the anecdotal evidence of activating dozens - if not hundreds - of customer computers simply by typing in the key and hitting activate.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you buy a game outside of Steam, for example, and it needs a product key, and you discover that you put "000-000-000" as one and it works, start sharing that fact is still piracy. There is a flaw, and you are exploiting it to gain the software for free. And this will not be discussed on this forum. The forum located in Canada as well as its company registered there, must follow the Canadian laws, despite what the laws in your country says, if you are outside of Canada.

Not quite the same thing.  It's more like the developer providing a free upgrade to a game you've already bought, then not disabling that functionality even after they official upgrade period has ended.

I'm not looking to argue about this, and if you're officially stating that you want us to drop the discussion, I will.  However, I do not see this as anything more than MS trying to increase the usage of Windows 10.

26 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You aren't wrong, but that's also not in any way what Microsoft indicates or states to require. While you can definitely argue that accessibility technologies are things like tty devices, switches, etc. thats not what Microsoft indicates it to be, either on the upgrade terms of this page, the terms in the upgrade app itself, or on the blog posts they link to discussing how they're making Assistive technologies better in Windows 10.

First sentence of the page you linked:

If you use assistive technologies, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost as Microsoft continues our efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies.

And at the bottom, there is an agreement:

Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my upgrade to Windows 10.

Go to the link and click to the blog article. Do they talk about tty devices and switches as examples of assistive technologies? Do they talk about Professional level software like Jaws as an example? No. They talk about High Contrast mode, Windows Narrator, Windows Magnifier, Accessibility setting in Microsoft Edge, and tools to help developers with accessibility compliance...

Accessibility FEATURE is not Accessibility TECHNOLOGY.

These may not be the same level of assistive technology is as Jaws or a switch, but they certainly are assistive technologies, and Microsoft makes no efforts in their terms for the upgrade to indicate that they do not qualify.

And when if they did, people would complain that some odd or custom solution doesn't work. The text is clear. You are bending words to make it turn in your favor. If that is what you want to do, then go to court to get approval, or see a lawyer who will be willing to defend your case by telling you if it is legal what you are doing.

31 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Nope, no authorization from MS, just the anecdotal evidence of activating dozens - if not hundreds - of customer computers simply by typing in the key and hitting activate.

You do whatever illegal activity you want. And saying it on a public forum is not the smartest thing. I am sure you can ask many criminals on the the number of times that they have done illegal activity and got away, but that doesn't make it legal. You keep it to yourself.

Not quite the same thing.  It's more like the developer providing a free upgrade to a game you've already bought, then not disabling that functionality even after they official upgrade period has ended.

Did you buy Windows 10? No. You got Windows 7 or 8... so you didn't "already bought" Windows 10. They are different products. This is not a security update or Service Pack or whatever.

Now, this is way off topic, so the discussion is over. If you want to make a thread on it, go ahead.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

You do whatever illegal activity you want. And saying it on a public forum is not the smartest thing. I am sure you can ask many criminals on the the number of times that they have done illegal activity and got away, but that doesn't make it legal. You keep it to yourself.

LOL, illegal?  Hyperbolic statements do not lend credence to your case.  You could make a case for it being "illegal", were I to use some third party program to bypass the activation system in Windows 10.  I'm using the actual activation procedure in Windows 10 and typing in actual Microsoft product keys.  There is literally not one illegal thing about that.  If MS chooses not to disable the free upgrade functionality for Windows 7/8 keys, then I'm doing nothing illegal by taking advantage of it.

At best you could say I'm exploiting their activation procedure, but even that is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion.

On 8/11/2017 at 8:31 AM, LAwLz said:

You know what would be cool? If Microsoft made 1 version of Windows.

I don't see the point of having Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education and now Workstation as separate products. I don't see any technical reasons for keeping them separated, and surely they can't make that much more money from separating them, right?

Anyhow, none of those features seems that interesting to me. I am not even excited for ReFS anymore once I learned that it had a significant performance impact as well as quite a few other missing features (EFS, no drive compression, no disk quotas, no support for sparse file, extended file attributes while not being used in Windows, could have been used for a lot of functionality, the list goes on)

Microsoft needs to create a new file system for general usage. There are massive performance and features gains we could get from throwing NTFS out the window. But chances are Windows is too tied to NTFS at this point that it can't be replaced. Hell, even ReFS is heavily based on NTFS for that specific reason.

Yeah definitely, that's what I though about W10 early on before. Why not simple one 64bit version. 

And yeah I also was more excited about ReFS more, but as said too tied etc. Definitely needs to create new. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Will this apply to anyone who bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro, or only to people with certain hardware?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Will this apply to anyone who bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro, or only to people with certain hardware?

Seems like unless you have certain hardware (4 CPUs, 6 TB of RAM, etc.) you have no reason to need this, regardless of whether or not it's available :P

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Seems like unless you have certain hardware (4 CPUs, 6 TB of RAM, etc.) you have no reason to need this, regardless of whether or not it's available :P

I didn't need W10 pro either but I wanted more control over my OS.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I didn't need W10 pro either but I wanted more control over my OS.

From what we've seen so far it appears this is a different sku, independent of the normal Pro version.

While there's no official word as far as I know, it's unlikely to be a free upgrade for pro users, and it's currently unknown whether it will be available as an "Anytime Upgrade" for Pro users.

I wonder if this will include support for link aggregation.

That's another feature Microsoft has artificially removed from all versions of Windows except Windows server, for no apparent reason.

Gotta love having two network cards on my motherboard, being bottlenecked by my 1Gbps connection to my NAS, and yet not being able to do NIC teaming because Microsoft decided that should only be possible on servers. They even accidentally included support for it in one build of Windows 10, but then released an update that disabled it again.