Windows 10 Pro for Workstation edition

GoodBytes

'cause we need more editions of Windows, Microsoft released a new edition of Windows 10, called Windows 10 Pro for Workstation.

1502401306_windows-10-pro-workstations.jpg.c91cbb81963d144a718f9da71ff722ad.jpg

Today we are very excited to announce a new edition of Windows 10 Pro designed to meet the needs of our advanced users deploying their Workstation PCs in demanding and mission-critical scenarios. Windows 10 Pro for Workstations will be delivered as part of our Fall Creators Update, available this fall.
Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, created with feedback from Windows Insiders, introduces new features to leverage the power of high-end PC hardware

The value of Windows 10 Pro for Workstations is directly aligned to increase the performance and reliability of high-end PCs

This new edition of Windows 10 is based on the Pro edition, but adds workstation focused features.

• ReFS file system is set as default file system format
  • non-volatile memory modules (NVDIMM-N) hardware support
  • SMB Direct allowing faster file sharing with supported hardware (those with Remote Direct Memory Access (RDMA) capability). It also reduces latency and provides lower CPU usagegiving more performance to workstation targeted applications
  • Up to 4 dedicated CPU support (normal Windows 10 is limited to 2 CPUs as per tradition)
  • Up to 6TB of RAM so that you can use more than 3 tabs in Chrome.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/business/2017/08/10/microsoft-announces-windows-10-pro-workstations/#MMLe8Majz2gvMuXD.97

All in all, it is for those who need server hardware but not run the system as one. Now, they don't need to get Windows Server edition, you have an edition that 'fit in between' if you will.

No information on price and availability yet, but I believe it will be priced between Windows 10 Pro and Windows Server.

going to wait until everyone wants to get that over pro because its better and why not?!

windows 7 ultimate edition, not because you need it but because you wanted it 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Who the hell are they targeting this too.Even a fucking 6 year old has a version of windows for them.What more could MS want

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Who the hell are they targeting this too.Even a fucking 6 year old has a version of windows for them.What more could MS want

spin a vista .. 

Image result for mac ad spin a vista

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

-snip-

lowkey apple shill hiding out with a hackintosh here 

Edited by GoodBytes
quote shrink

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

they couldnt just put this stuff in windows pro? is there a price difference?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

20 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

ReFS file system is set as default file system format

Could you even boot Windows in this file system? I'm pretty sure that's the reason why Windows is still using NTFS as the default file system, a file system introduced in 2003 but only became mainstream with the release of Windows 2000.

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, created with feedback from Windows Insiders, introduces new features to leverage the power of high-end PC hardware

Once again Microsoft is fragmenting their own operating system.

Why not just push those features as an update to existing Windows 10 Pro users and market it as the new and updated Windows 10 Pro. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

16 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

With all this 4 CPUs and RAM support, isn't that what Windows Server was for?

windows server has different pricing and licensing rules. This is all it is, a pricing model. There may be some royalties that MS pays for the extra features but it really comes down to strategic pricing.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Meh. Only thing I'm interested in is the ReFS. If you were using 2TB of RAM or 2CPUs, then you were already running some sort of server OS, or Linux flavor. Would have to wait and see how it actually performs in real world scenarios, and how it stacks up against btrfs/zfs/any other non crap file system. Plus, you're able to buy NVDIMMs? I thought they're still in the "here's a whitepaper about it and one prototype that cost $10,000 to make" phase. Faster file sharing is a meh as well.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

36 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

With all this 4 CPUs and RAM support, isn't that what Windows Server was for?

I've had some software that will not run on Windows Server, it's a restriction that the software devs put in it and do an OS check. Why they do this I don't know, it's a real pain when you need a more server orientated OS to run the application on because you're not a 5 PC small business.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:
  • ReFS file system is set as default file system format

This is awesome to see finally happen, but is going to be a pain for OneDrive users now that they've restricted that to NTFS only...

55 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Could you even boot Windows in this file system? I'm pretty sure that's the reason why Windows is still using NTFS as the default file system, a file system introduced in 2003 but only became mainstream with the release of Windows 2000.

Making Windows bootable from ReFS wouldn't be particularly hard for Microsoft. They basically just need to drop a super basic ReFS driver into their existing second stage bootloader. The reason they're still using NTFS is because filesystems take a looooooooooooooong time to mature. Look at BTRFS. It's been around for how long now, and there's still issues with it that Oracle are trying to smooth out.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:
  • non-volatile memory modules (NVDIMM-N) hardware support

Praise the light. Looking forward to getting some Optane memory modules to play around with when they launch.

47 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

Only thing I'm interested in is the ReFS. [...] Would have to wait and see how it actually performs in real world scenarios, and how it stacks up against btrfs/zfs/any other non crap file system.

http://www.joshodgers.com/2016/07/10/storage-performance-refs-vs-ntfs/

About a 7% performance loss over NTFS so not terrible. ReFS has been available as a Storage Spaces for a long while now.

51 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

Plus, you're able to buy NVDIMMs? I thought they're still in the "here's a whitepaper about it and one prototype that cost $10,000 to make" phase. Faster file sharing is a meh as well.

They've been a thing in the enterprise space for a while now. You just don't see them on the consumer side. They're not terribly widespread, but they've been used in certain applications.

Microsoft, please just sell me a version that doesn't have app store bloat spying shit coming out of every hole it has on its body.  (yes I know about LTSB but so far as I can tell there's no legit way to get it)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Up to 6TB of RAM so that you can use more than 3/10 tabs in Chrome.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

So 6/10 tabs? xD

You both failed the semester final. Summer school for the both of you.

plz no ban.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

-snip-

k_on__ritsu_overhears_azusa___gif_animation_by_kyoflameashhylden-da1gyjq.gif.fddf9912e0de267b0fa60aa0efb2f50d.gif

On a more serious note, didn't Good Bytes already post about Win10 Pro for Workstations awhile ago?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

On a more serious note, didn't Good Bytes already post about Win10 Pro for Workstations awhile ago?

There was a news topic about it yes, but I think it was about a number of Microsoft stuff where this is an announcement saying it's actually available now.

So if I'm getting all of this correctly, this is basically similar to the desktop user version borrowing some features from the server version but not all of them due to software compatibility. Is that about the gist of it?

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So if I'm getting all of this correctly, this is basically similar to the desktop user version borrowing some features from the server version but not all of them due to software compatibility. Is that about the gist of it?

Pretty much which I find personally unnecessary since they could easily push out those features as updates to existing Windows 10 Pro users. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

29 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Pretty much which I find personally unnecessary since they could easily push out those features as updates to existing Windows 10 Pro users. 

It does sounds like a rip off but I won't argue: Last time I did a bunch of pretentious "professionals" white knighted Red ad nauseum, don't feel like a repeat of that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You know what would be cool? If Microsoft made 1 version of Windows.

I don't see the point of having Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education and now Workstation as separate products. I don't see any technical reasons for keeping them separated, and surely they can't make that much more money from separating them, right?

Anyhow, none of those features seems that interesting to me. I am not even excited for ReFS anymore once I learned that it had a significant performance impact as well as quite a few other missing features (EFS, no drive compression, no disk quotas, no support for sparse file, extended file attributes while not being used in Windows, could have been used for a lot of functionality, the list goes on)

Microsoft needs to create a new file system for general usage. There are massive performance and features gains we could get from throwing NTFS out the window. But chances are Windows is too tied to NTFS at this point that it can't be replaced. Hell, even ReFS is heavily based on NTFS for that specific reason.

51 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If Microsoft made 1 version of Windows.

I don't see the point of having Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education and now Workstation as separate products.

The only way i see it works is them making the Core version with different "updates packages" available through MS store. But this probably won't be cost effective.

Sorry for bad Ingrish