The USB ports above wall outlets make a very high pitched noise

EnergyEclipse

Hello! This is a short thread as I am mostly just curious.

So we recently had one of the wall outlets in my house changed for one which has two USB headers as with two wall outlet sockets.

However, every time there is a device like a phone or power brick charged the USBs give off a really, really high pitched noise to which only I can hear. I'm not to concerned with it as it doesn't make the port seem unsafe but I am just wondering what could be causing it?

Thank you very much for your replies in advance!

-EnergyEclipse

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

5 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Hello! This is a short thread as I am mostly just curious.

So we recently had one of the wall outlets in my house changed for one which has two USB headers as with two wall outlet sockets.

However, every time there is a device like a phone or power brick charged the USBs give off a really, really high pitched noise to which only I can hear. I'm not to concerned with it as it doesn't make the port seem unsafe but I am just wondering what could be causing it?

Thank you very much for your replies in advance!

-EnergyEclipse

I believe what you are describing is called "coil whine".  Coil noise or coil whine is a phenomenon in electronics which produces undesirable audible sound. In magnetic resonance imaging "coil noise" is that part of total system noise attributed to the receiving coil, due to its non-zero temperature.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+coil+whine&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS743US743&oq=what+is+coil+whine&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6578j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just now, kb5zue said:

I believe what you are describing is called "coil whine".  Coil noise or coil whine is a phenomenon in electronics which produces undesirable audible sound. In magnetic resonance imaging "coil noise" is that part of total system noise attributed to the receiving coil, due to its non-zero temperature.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+coil+whine&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS743US743&oq=what+is+coil+whine&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6578j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah I've had a good amount of experience with coil whine (*A-HEM* integrator 850w *A-HEM*), but the sound is quite a lot higher pitched than any of the PSU's I've heard with it.

Thank you very much for your help however! Very informative, I didn't really realise Coil Whine covered as large a spectrum as sockets ect. :D 

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again