Windows 7 or Windows 10 for Gaming?

GrahamCracker47

Windows 7 or Windows 10 (Gaming)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer Windows 7 or Windows 10?

• Windows 7
    • Windows 10

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I mean Battlefront II

You can play that on macOS with Wineskin. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Hmmmm... But I suppose I have a PC already, so moot point. But if games are built on Mac (since they're adding eGPU support and native support for UE4 and Unity), does that mean they'll run on it too?

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Vs an OS like macOS or Linux where you dont have to do anything. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Looks like you still have to do something to get what you want. I have nothing against mac, I love using other OS's like the many flavors of linux, I would use a mac too if they didn't cost so much for a decently powered one.

Just now, NinJake said:

Man that is one next level statement right there.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Man that is one next level statement right there.  

I couldn't quote you on first page and then on second page. LTT problems.

People poop on Windows 10 for their spying but still use an OS and ecosystem that's just as bad, if not worse. Or as Richard Stallman put it at one time:

"... Switching from MS Windows to Linspire does not bring you to freedom, it just gets you a different master."

Anyway, something constructive to add to the post:

• Windows 7 if you don't really care about getting on the latest and greatest. It's probably the most "stable" in the sense it's be out the longest and people understand its ins and outs more.
  • Windows 10 if you want to be on the bleeding edge of software and are willing to take the risks that come with it. Or if you need it because some hardware you need isn't really supported on Windows 7 (e.g., NVMe)

Windows 7 is more stable and bug-free than Windows 10, and if you like to play older games, then Windows 7 overall has better compatibility and more online resources for them.

I would say it doesn't really matter which you choose - one doesn't perform in games better than the other, though there are trade-offs in performance between them. For example, Assassin's Creed games tend to perform noticeably better in Windows 7 than in Windows 10. But there are other games that perform better in Windows 10 than in Windows 7.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Windows 10 if you want/care:

• DirectX 12
  • Games published by Microsoft (as they are found in Windows 10 Store)
  • Game PVR functionality and screen shot feature.
  • And of course every new feature of Windows 8 + 10.
  • Full UEFI support including Fast boot and Secure Boot.
  • Full support for the latest technologies

If you have the latest Intel or AMD CPUs in your computer Windows 10 is your only option between the two.

If you do more than gaming, and have multiple systems like a laptop, then you'll enjoy Windows 10 sync features with OneDrive sync everything including background and OS settings.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

But it is better, telemetry isn't being constantly transmitted in 7. Nor does Windows 7 download CANDY CRUSH to your machine! 

but windows 10 comes with ethernet drivers, and considering your rig will last you at least 4 years, win7 support *ENDS* winXP style in 2020.

what you're saying is that having android in your dashboard in a volvo is terrible, so everyone should buy a lada niva instead.

the niva may be better in that one aspect, but it is an absolute bucket of rust in just about every other field.

as for the "for gaming" part of things.. win7 => win10 is a HUGE bump in the efficiency of the OS, while it has a shit ton more crap running, you can turn all that shit off, and end with an OS that is actually notably more snappy than windows 7 ever was.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

• DirectX 12

If you have the latest Intel or AMD CPUs in your computer Windows 10 is your only option between the two.

If you do more than gaming, and have multiple systems like a laptop, then you'll enjoy Windows 10 sync features with OneDrive sync everything including background and OS settings.

you forgot to mention actually having drivers out the box ;)

nothing beats filling up a usb stick with drivers to install a win7 box :P

3 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

Simple way to solve this: Dual Boot. Works fine for me.

i guarantee you you'll forget about your win7 install in just about a month, because pretty much everything is faster in win10, except for setting different wallpapers for different displays.

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but windows 10 comes with ethernet drivers, and considering your rig will last you at least 4 years, win7 support *ENDS* winXP style in 2020.

what you're saying is that having android in your dashboard in a volvo is terrible, so everyone should buy a lada niva instead.

the niva may be better in that one aspect, but it is an absolute bucket of rust in just about every other field.

as for the "for gaming" part of things.. win7 => win10 is a HUGE bump in the efficiency of the OS, while it has a shit ton more crap running, you can turn all that shit off, and end with an OS that is actually notably more snappy than windows 7 ever was.

And according to the M$ website, Win10 will get you five more years of support...

In my opinion Windows 7 runs better as my luck with 10 ends up unusable, laggy, and slow 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i guarantee you you'll forget about your win7 install in just about a month, because pretty much everything is faster in win10, except for setting different wallpapers for different displays.

I've been using 7 on my other computers and 8.1 on my laptop, as I reverted back to it after the "free upgrade"

2 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

I've been using 7 on my other computers and 8.1 on my laptop, as I reverted back to it after the "free upgrade"

i'm using windows 7 on one of my laptops.. i rarely use it because it literally takes longer to load into windows that grabbing my (worse spec) linux laptop, loading it into frikking KDE neon, doing my thing, and shutting it down again.

6 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

And according to the M$ website, Win10 will get you five more years of support...

If you stick with only the Creator's Update and never bother to do a major update again.

If you update Windows 10 to the next big update, support will go out further.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you stick with only the Creator's Update and never bother to do a major update again.

If you update Windows 10 to the next big update, support will go out further.

It hasn't though.

I looked at that before the update, and it didn't move.

Edit: Maybe that is when Window's successor is coming out?(as hinted by various articles with microsoft saying Win10 being the last 'windows")

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Either way, if Microsoft continues to offer free updates to existing customers to the latest and greatest, support time is practically indefinite.

If not we'll just end up with an xp, as we probably will, as we are-what 2 years in?- and windows 7 is just under  50% 

10 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

If not we'll just end up with an xp, as we probably will, as we are-what 2 years in?- and windows 7 is just under  50% 

Depending on who you ask, that's the same adoption rate as every other major Windows version, except Vista and Me.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

No, the artificial restriction placed on Windows Update in Windows 7 for newer CPUs is avoidable by either not installing the KB update that adds it in the first place, by removing that KB update, or by using a community patch that gets rid of the (illegal) pop up and restriction that prevents newer CPUs from utilizing Windows Update.

Newer AMD and Intel CPUs work entirely without issue in Windows 7.

59 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Not true. Gaming performance is hit / miss between Windows 7 and 10. There is as much stuff that is slower in Windows 10 as there is that is slower in Windows 7.

53 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'm using windows 7 on one of my laptops.. i rarely use it because it literally takes longer to load into windows that grabbing my (worse spec) linux laptop, loading it into frikking KDE neon, doing my thing, and shutting it down again.

Sounds like it could use a fresh installation. The Windows 7 boot up time is pretty quick when there aren't issues with it, or when it isn't bloated with other programs starting up.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

• DirectX 12

DirectX 12 is not a selling point, UEFI doesn't provide any meaningful benefits, and Windows 7 works just fine on newer CPU's.

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

People poop on Windows 10 for their spying but still use an OS and ecosystem that's just as bad, if not worse. Or as Richard Stallman put it at one time:

Anyway, something constructive to add to the post:

• Windows 7 if you don't really care about getting on the latest and greatest. It's probably the most "stable" in the sense it's be out the longest and people understand its ins and outs more.
  • Windows 10 if you want to be on the bleeding edge of software and are willing to take the risks that come with it. Or if you need it because some hardware you need isn't really supported on Windows 7 (e.g., NVMe)

If you want full NVMe support Windows 8.1 is an option to consider. 

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

If want full NVMe support Windows 8.1 is an option to consider. 

I agree with that, as win7 and 8 have been good to me, although I don't like having "settings" and "control panel". I think they should have just left things where they were for the last 15ish years.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

No, the artificial restriction placed on Windows Update in Windows 7 for newer CPUs is avoidable by either not installing the KB update that adds it in the first place, by removing that KB update, or by using a community patch that gets rid of the (illegal) pop up and restriction that prevents newer CPUs from utilizing Windows Update.

AMD Ryzen CPU requires Windows 10, due to a bug in chip. Microsoft made a patch to maximize the performance of the chip under Windows 10 by working with the design flaw of the AMD latest series of CPUs.

Intel Kaby Lake and up, has advance power state which works with the OS. You need support version of Linux, or Windows 10 which contains the needed feature to maximize performance of your Intel CPU and power efficiency. Basically, in short, the OS communicates information to the CPU to be prepared for a work loads so that it clocks higher, faster, and down-clocks faster. In other words, Intel SpeedShift only works with Windows 10 (Redstone 1 and up to be specific): https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-to-optimize-windows-10-for-kaby-lake-and-zen

So even if it was working, you are not getting the full performance out of your CPU.