What is committed memory?

when I view my memory usage it says 6.6/15.9GB of committed ram but I am unsure what committed ram actually is and I am unable to find an answer, please help.

11 minutes ago, Jamos said:

when I view my memory usage it says 6.6/15.9GB of committed ram but I am unsure what committed ram actually is and I am unable to find an answer, please help.

It means how much total memory space all applications have reserved for use. It does not necessarily mean how much they are actually using. If you were to use it in a sentence, it could be like "The OS is committed to letting apps use this amount of space"

It's how much of your virtual memory (actual RAM + page file) that has been allocated. Your system probably has 8GB of actual RAM, plus an 8GB page file.

If you want a concrete example, think of memory space like seats in a reservation only restaurant. Commit is how many seats have been reserved. Apps can be like parties of people. One party wants to reserve 10 seats. So the restaurant will hold 10 seats for them. However, the party may only show up with 8 people. Or maybe they show up with 6 people, and over time the rest of their party trickles in.