Threadripper benchmarks breakdown

Castdeath97

It's time boys the embargo is finished and reviews are out! The two threadripper CPUs (1950x, 1920x) finally have their fully featured reviews out.

"Out of the gate today is AMD’s Ryzen Threadripper family, or Threadripper for short. These CPUs take a similar design as the AMD EPYC processors, but for a consumer platform. The first two CPUs are the 1950X and 1920X, with 16 and 12 cores respectively, to be then followed by the 8 core 1900X on August 31st, and the 1920 at sometime unknown. These parts will fit into the LGA-style TR4 socket, containing 4094-pins. This socket is identical (but not interchangeable) to the SP3 socket used for EPYC, and a large step over the 1331-pin PGA-style AM4 socket for the Ryzen 7/5/3 processors."  Source: AnandTech 1950X/1920X review linked below.

Articles:

Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cpu,5167.html

PROS
  • Workstation and productivity applications
  • Price per core
  • Solder
  • Multi-Threaded performance
  • PCIe connectivity
CONS
  • Confusing settings
  • Low resolution gaming performance
VERDICT

If you need Threadripper, you’ll know it. Heavy multitaskers, streamers, those who regularly use heavily threaded applications or have heavy PCIe requirements will all experience competitive performance. The recommendation comes with a caveat, though; if you’re looking strictly for the best gaming performance, you are better served with other alternatives.

AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review

In our performance benchmarks, there are multiple angles to describe the results we have collected. AMD is still behind when it comes to raw IPC, but plays competitively in frequency. Intel still wins the single threaded tasks, especially those that rely on DRAM latency. AMD pulls ahead when anything needs serious threads by a large amount, and most of the time the memory arrangement is not as much of an Achilles heel as might be portrayed. If a user has a workload that scales, AMD is bringing the cores to help it scale as wide as possible.

Despite Threadripper's design arguably being better tuned to highly threaded workstation-like workloads, the fact that it still has high clocks compared to Ryzen 7 means that gaming is going to be a big part of the equation too. In its default Creative Mode, Threadripper’s gaming performance is middling at best: very few games can use all those threads and the variable DRAM latency means that the cores are sometimes metaphorically tripping over themselves trying to talk to each other and predict when work will be done. To solve this, AMD is offering Game Mode, which cuts the number of threads and focuses memory allocations to the DRAM nearest to the core (at the expense of peak DRAM bandwidth). This has the biggest effect on minimum frame rates rather than average frame rates, and affects 1080p more than 4K, which is perhaps the opposite end of the spectrum to what a top-level enthusiast would be gaming on. In some games, Game Mode makes no difference, while in others it can open up new possibilities.

If I were to turn around and say that Threadripper CPUs were not pure gaming CPUs, it would annoy a fair lick of the tech audience. The data is there – it’s not the best gaming CPU. But AMD would spin it like this: it allows the user to game, to stream, to watch and to process all at the same time.

You need a lot to do in order to fill 16 cores to the max, and for those that do, it’s a potential winner. For anyone that needs hardcore throughput such as transcode, decode, rendering such as Blender, Cinema 4D or ray-tracing, it’s a great CPU to have. For multi-GPUs or multi-storage aficionados or the part of the crowd that wants to cram a bunch of six PCIe 3.0 x8 FPGAs into a system, AMD has you covered.

Guru3D: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-review,1.html

Well, that's a bunch of processor performance alright - pretty cool, huh? The word 'amazing' is the one word that keeps returning while I was testing this platform. First off, this - you will not need a 16 or 12 core processor for your gaming needs, I mean, come on. Get yourself a nice 6 or 8-core processor and by all means please do save yourself a lot of money. But there's always the enthusiast PC DiY builder, and ironically it's a lot of people that can be found in the Guru3D reader-base. An enthusiast experience is what this all about and what it will bring to the table. You get twice the cores for half the money that Intel is asking. And sure, there in the end might be a 10% performance difference in-between the two in perhaps Intel's advantage, but still, AMD is king and rules the HEDT market with these prices. So in that mindset it is once again amazing to see how much value you can gain from Threadripper processors, and I do know that 799 or 999 USD is weird to tag with the label 'value', but really... it is.

Never, ever has any consumer been able to purchase a 12 or 16-core processor in this price range as that was exclusive to a very expensive server market. For the guys and girls that have pro-workstations and do a lot of video editing, this stuff right here is pure gold. For content creation, again, this is amazing. For the extreme ones that stream, edit, browse and do it all at once, this is, again, amazing. Ergo, this chapter ends where I started it, amazing. And amazing doesn't always have to make sense.

ArsTechinca: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/amd-threadripper-review-1950x-1920x/

The good

• Better performance than the equivalent Intel chip for the price
  • Fully featured platform across all chips
  • While liquid cooling is a must, Theadripper is easier to tame than Skylake-X
  • Huge improvements in production tasks over mainstream CPUs
  • Competitively priced

The bad

• Overclocking remains limited
  • Needs a suitably robust cooling setup and power supply
  • Lags behind Intel in overall IPC performance

The ugly

• That you're seriously considering spending $1,000/£1,000 on a CPU

Overclock3D: https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_x399_rog_zenith_extreme_and_ryzen_1950x_threadripper_review/18

We've got one item of hardware which comes with an unhesitating recommendation and one that has a little bit of a caveat to it, although nothing that you probably couldn't have imagined yourself.

Starting with the unhesitating one, the ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme is a spectacular motherboard. It looks like a million bucks with some smooth design on both the heatsinks and the placement of the CPU power inputs. We've spoken a lot recently about the importance of good VRM cooling and ASUS have absolutely nailed the problem by combining their "hewn from a single element" IO shield via a heatpipe to the MOSFET heatsink itself. This gave us a mere 57°C VRM temperatures even with our beefy overclock and Prime95 doing its damnedest to melt everything. So definitely a tick in the success box there. The heatpipe necessitated the moving of the 8+8 CPU power from its usual place in a finger-grazing position at the top left of the motherboard to the top right. This has the added benefit that all your power inputs are on the same edge of the motherboard allowing for easier cable routing behind the scenes.

Everything about the X399 ROG Zenith Extreme shows how good premium ASUS motherboards continue to be. Sure it's not exactly cheap, but if you're planning to invest in the AMD Ryzen Threadripper then price is far down your list of concerns.

The Ryzen 1950X Threadripper is either the best thing ever or slightly disappointing depending upon your intended use. The AES256 performance is staggering, far better than anything else we've ever tested. Perfect if cryptographic endeavours are a major part of your daily work. As befits a processor with sixteen cores and thirty-two (32!) threads, the rendering performance is blistering. In Cinebench R15 the previous record holder was the overclocked Intel i9-7900X with 2516 points, whereas the Threadripper 1950X pumped out 2973 at stock and 3441 when overclocked. Those are meaty numbers in anyone's book. Conversely the other main element we expected to really rock and roll on the latest AMD offering, video encoding, was disappointing. Realbench liked it, but HEVC and x265 definitely didn't score anything like the numbers we were hoping to see.

The tasks we consider to be day to day ones - browsing, office stuff, gaming - were all somewhat disappointing on the Threadripper, particularly when at stock. We can't remember the last CPU which was so Jekyll and Hyde between stock and overclock. The stock VR Mark results for example were terrible, but in overclocked form it was pretty handy. It helps that the ASUS X399 ROG Zenith Extreme makes it so easy to overclock.

How much you'll enjoy your time with the Ryzen 1950X and how much value for money you'll believe you've received will largely depend upon what you plan to do with it. As a gaming rig, or a basic system that needs to be a jack of all trades, the enormous amount of cores and threads rarely see it performing better than the i9-7900X which has a significant thread deficit. On the other hand if you're someone who owns a copy of Maya or Blender and needs to be able to have a system that will save you huge amounts of time from your workflow, it's such a bargain that you'd be crazy not to invest.

Videos:

Couple of benchmark screenshots from Tom's Hardware:

Note: Those are supposed to be only a preview, don't base your full opinion on them.

Gaming

a5YV7vL.jpg

qpeoPna.jpg

8iGU8qD.jpg

Scientific & Engineering Computations, & HPC Performance

ulb75nH.jpg

ulb75nH.jpg

ulb75nH.jpg

CPU Computing & Rendering Performance

akOR0U5.jpg

PGiMEV7.jpg

HwLVqWC.jpg

g0yZFTm.jpg

Conclusions:

This looks like one good release to finalise AMD's CPU lineup this year, seems basically seems to give the core i9 a run for its money CPU in many categories expect gaming (which it still is decent at, just not core i9 decent). And for the core count, it has quite amazing power consumption. 

PS i: I will update it with more source and information over time. 

PS ii: Yes I know that there is another leaked benchmark thread, but I think the full featured release day benchmarks need a page of their own, but if the mods think otherwise please move it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Can we have some benchmark screencaps for the ones on cell data plz...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Can we have some benchmark screencaps for the ones on cell data plz...

Working on it along with the conclusion for the articles! 

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

I just want to leave this here.

s1kcZ5s.png

Heard switching from distributed to local mode also boosts its gaming performance.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

That's an expensive 100-200mhz. o.O

Might just be what he's tested so far. it'd be interesting to see what it does for single core perf.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Very nice. Really fulfills the lineup across the board also price and performance is quite great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Heard switching from distributed to local mode also boosts its gaming performance.

never heard of this switching of modes 

Just now, Technicolors said:

Check out the Hardware Unboxed video review.

Pascal laptops guide

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

That's an expensive 100-200mhz. o.O

I am also curious about the 1920x theoretically it should have even more headrooms with sufficient 6/12 that might reach 4.4 or 4.5

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can't believe it was 5 1/2 hrs until someone posted this xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Check out the Hardware Unboxed video review.

which part of the video? not gonna watch the whole thing.. 

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

which part of the video? not gonna watch the whole thing.. 

There are timestamps in the description, Hardware Unboxed always puts them there. I think its after the first set of gaming benchmarks.

Pascal laptops guide

5 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

There are timestamps in the description, Hardware Unboxed always puts them there. I think its after the first set of gaming benchmarks.

still cant find it 

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Can't believe it was 5 1/2 hrs until someone posted this xD 

Well many of us were embargo-ed up for several hours with so many simultaneous articles and videos, I honestly forgot to check LTT forums even.

-------

Current Rig

-------

54 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Both PCPer and Anandtech have decent sections in their write-ups concerning the NUMA vs UMA modes, why they exist and the benefits of each mode.

PCPer: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1950X-and-1920X-Review/NUMA-and-UMA-memory-locality-concer

AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/3

Now with the screenshots here I can have an opinion, looks nice for productivity but gaming it's good but not the best like expected. Looks like AMD didn't come out on top but they sure did in price / performance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

I am also curious about the 1920x theoretically it should have even more headrooms with sufficient 6/12 that might reach 4.4 or 4.5

I am not even ask why in the gods name someone would buy a 12/24 CPU to lock it to 6/12. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

43 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I am not even ask why in the gods name someone would buy a 12/24 CPU to lock it to 6/12. 

Is not permanent you know, probably a reboot away so with an SSD maybe less than a minute.

-------

Current Rig

-------

50 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

If they want to go from productivity to gaming. 

So the question is, for me anyway, who's the intended audience? A streamer would be better suited taking their $1,500-1,700 budget and building a second PC with the sole purpose of video capture and streaming. A content creator, at least in Adobe Premiere, is still better off with CUDA acceleration... Is TR's attractiveness in PCIe lanes and 3D rendering? I'm honestly not convinced that TR, or X299 at this current time, is a platform I'd consider if I were a dedicated streamer or content creator. It is impressive to see AMD really competing with Intel in the enthusiast and professional market, but it seems niche now.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

So the question is, for me anyway, who's the intended audience? A streamer would be better suited taking their $1,500-1,700 budget and building a second PC with the sole purpose of video capture and streaming. A content creator, at least in Adobe Premiere, is still better off with CUDA acceleration... Is TR's attractiveness in PCIe lanes and 3D rendering? I'm honestly not convinced that TR, or X299 at this current time, is a platform I'd consider if I were a dedicated streamer or content creator. It is impressive to see AMD really competing with Intel in the enthusiast and professional market, but it seems niche now.

well a 1700 does really well as a entry streaming/rendering CPU.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc