EK Confirms 4.2GHz easily attainable on Threadripper

goodtofufriday
2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Then entire socket to include the backplate was heating up when he overclocked.  He was able to take care of it with 2 x 120mm fans.  No big deal.  

Hopefully no one makes a post on it before I can. Another entry in hot things get hot, and I'll be super condensending about it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

35 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Here is a cool exploded view I saw in my email.

unnamed.png

Holy crap. That explains so much

EDIT: I'm dumb. I thought there was a back plate. Nevermind

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Capture.PNG.3941ca8e82a8983161c9577b5016b78e.PNG

xD why would anyone do that, that's stupid.  Just buy Intel at that point...

But I guess 4.2 is good news - 16 cores at that speed would be quite impressive :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Here is a cool exploded view I saw in my email.

unnamed.png

Umm.  That's nothing more than their standard Supremacy Evo block with a TR4 bracket added.

I really expected them to design a new rectangular shaped block that covered the whole IHS.  The current one will cover a lot of it, but that's including using the area of the base plate screw holes too which is useless.  -_-

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Umm.  That's nothing more than their standard Supremacy Evo block with a TR4 bracket added.

I really expected them to design a new rectangular shaped block that covered the whole IHS.  The current one will cover a lot of it, but that's including using the area of the base plate screw holes too which is useless.  -_-

Assuming that's what it is, I'll reiterate my statement of "EK is meh".  Haven't put out a new CPU block in 5 years.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

EXCUSE ME NO it is a extra 10mm taller.

TR_ShopBlog_Banner-Atila-3@2x-1500x333.p

I really don't see why they couldn't just change the mounting plate.

@AnonymousGuy what CPU block is the best, or you would recommend?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

5 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

If they didn't increase the finned area of the coldplate it seems like a lazy "fix".  

Heatkiller IV Pro, 390Ci, XPX, even the Kryos Next have all moved beyond EK in block quality and performance.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

If they didn't increase the finned area of the coldplate it seems like a lazy "fix".  

Heatkiller IV Pro, 390Ci, XPX, even the Kryos Next have all moved beyond EK in block quality and performance.

I know the EVO has a bigger fin area then the MX. It would be nice if the TR4 block had a even bigger area.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

12 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Oh wow.  I can't believe they changed the baseplate without changing the top of the block. The top is still the normal Supremacy Evo square.

That means that they didn't change the fin area.  

That's laziness as they were actually done with this block over a month ago.  They just added surface area to the top and bottom of the baseplate itself.

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I have the Supremacy EVO and the Aquacomputer Kryos NEXT for my x99 and z270 setups and the Kyos NEXT is a FAR better built block and also performs better.  It does flow less than a Supremacy Evo due to a super high and tight fin density, but I have more than enough flow in my little loop.  

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm dumb. I thought there was a back plate portion for this. I see its all just top. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Oh wow.  I can't believe they changed the baseplate without changing the top of the block. The top is still the normal Supremacy Evo square.

That means that they didn't change the fin area.  

That's laziness as they were actually done with this block over a month ago.  They just added surface area to the top and bottom of the baseplate itself.

Here's another problem: EK's hold down bracket is wimpy as hell compared to other blocks.TR is a massive socket, it's not going to be able to deliver much tension all the way to the center of the package without flexing badly.

To summarize, they need a full coverage cold plate, full coverage finned area, and a very chunky hold down bracket with beefy springns to be able to deliver pressure all they way throughout the socket.

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Here's another problem: EK's hold down bracket is wimpy as hell compared to other blocks.TR is a massive socket, it's not going to be able to deliver much tension all the way to the center of the package without flexing badly.

Man, one thing I always hated about my Supremacy EVO block was the bracket.  I remove the block a lot and due to their shitty design compared to the likes of Aquacomputer, every time I remove the thumb screws, the spring acts alike a sandpaper on the bracket and shaves off filings onto my board.  I have to clean the shit up every time I pull a block.  With the Kyros NEXT, the spring and screw go directly into the mounting spots for my 2011 v3 socket.  I don't need to add anything else and no more shavings.

Oh and the block looks sexy as fuck.  

20170726_161142.jpg

20170728_130929.jpg

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

800W HERE WE COME!!!!

Yea no, it's equal to 4 ryzen 1800x strapped together basically

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Yea no, it's equal to 4 ryzen 1800x strapped together basically

wouldn't it be 2?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

wouldn't it be 2?

We're talking about a hypothetical 32core threadripper/epyc part at 4.0 across all cores.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

We're talking about a hypothetical 32core threadripper/epyc part at 4.0 across all cores.

oh, I thought it was on topic :P 

Well the top EPYC chip should give insight as to what it would act like, if you can get the clockspeed up enough

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Wonder if this is because -X has FIVR and TR doesn't.  TR has to deliver all of the power at a lower voltage higher current thru traces on teh board whereas -X can drop lower current higher voltage thru the board to the package.

The Zen fab process also isn't designed for high power really either so I suspect that has a factor in the exponential power increase. At stock settings it's a fair amount more power efficient then Skylake-X but boy do those tables turn when you push the voltage up.

I use an older Cuplex Kryos and they are indeed really nice. You can get silver plated ones if you really want to step it up.

The Heatkiller blocks are always really good and a better perferformer than the EK.

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Oh and the block looks sexy as fuck.  

Spoiler

20170726_161142.jpg

Personally I don't actually like that CPU block, not that it matters since if you like it then that's that :)

Just now, leadeater said:

Personally I don't actually like that CPU block, not that it matters since if you like it then that's that :)

At the end of the day, all I really care about is how it performs.  The way something looks is always a very distant second.